Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grips worn off of tools

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Grips worn off of tools

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 08:53 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Grips worn off of tools

Like a lot of people I have used tools. Some of these are many years old and the rubber they put on the grips/handles at the factories has either peeled off or cracked. I had seen threads before that described this problem and what had worked or not worked. I just can't find those threads. I'd like to find a product that I can use to coat the grips/handles and rather than just randomly testing different products until I find one, I figured I'd ask if anyone has had any successes and can recommend any specific product.

Example

s:
Old 08-10-22, 08:55 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
Old 08-10-22, 08:59 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
PlastiDip. Never used it but they make some products that have some cult like followers.
Old 08-10-22, 09:17 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I've used electrical shrink tubing over the old coating to preserve the original. You could also just cover tool handles with it.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-10-22, 09:30 PM
WGB 
WGB

Thank you all.

I'll start with the Plasti-dip (not sure if the shrink wrap would provide any protection from a rough/sharp edge? )
Old 08-11-22, 06:33 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The Plasti Dip stuff will probably require several coats to soften those edges. That will help use up the stuff, the remainder of which will harden up in the container and wind up being tossed years later.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-11-22, 07:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2745 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Auto parts store and appropriate diameter fuel line hose by the foot.
Old 08-11-22, 01:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26404 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I have used Plastidip on tool handles. It works, sort of. It's not especially durable, but you can get better results with several coats, letting them dry in between.

Home Depot and Lowes (and probably the other hardware stores now), sell vinyl tubing in various sizes, by the foot. If you take the tool you want to cover along, you can usually find a size that you can slip over the handles, as a cushion. This works pretty well to ease the strain on your hands, but it's not as colorful as Plastidip. I guess you could then dip the tubing covered handles, but I've never tried that.
Old 08-11-22, 02:27 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Plasti-dip was my first choice, but as 3alarmer notes, it's not particularly durable.

So have you thought about self-sealing silicone tape (e.g., Gardner Bender Blue Self-Sealing Repair Tape 1 in x 10 ft in the Electrical Tape department at Lowes.com)? Wrap it like you would bar tape, overlapping wraps, to build up some extra thickness.
Old 08-11-22, 02:59 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I have used Plastidip on tool handles. It works, sort of. It's not especially durable, but you can get better results with several coats, letting them dry in between.

Home Depot and Lowes (and probably the other hardware stores now), sell vinyl tubing in various sizes, by the foot. If you take the tool you want to cover along, you can usually find a size that you can slip over the handles, as a cushion. This works pretty well to ease the strain on your hands, but it's not as colorful as Plastidip. I guess you could then dip the tubing covered handles, but I've never tried that.
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Plasti-dip was my first choice, but as 3alarmer notes, it's not particularly durable.

So have you thought about self-sealing silicone tape (e.g., Gardner Bender Blue Self-Sealing Repair Tape 1 in x 10 ft in the Electrical Tape department at Lowes.com)? Wrap it like you would bar tape, overlapping wraps, to build up some extra thickness.

Are you talking about the spray version? I agree that is not durable for tool handles but found this version quite good.

Old 08-11-22, 09:02 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 228 Posts
A friend uses wheel well/truck bed coating. I cannot say I know his results but sounds like a possibility
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 08-12-22, 07:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Are you talking about the spray version? I agree that is not durable for tool handles but found this version quite good.
The can I tried looked a lot like this, except the plastic was blue. I don't remember which tool I put it on first, except that it was one I used a fair bit, and the plastic peeled off within a few months. I also figured, while I had an open can, I'd dip the 15 mm side of some dual-ended cone wrenches. That's lasted for some years, but then again, I only use them about once a year.
Old 08-12-22, 11:45 AM
WGB 
WGB

I live in Canada and most of the stores are out of stock.

Next trip to Buffalo I'll hit either Lowes or Home Depot.
Fyi in Canada the Plasti Dip spray cans are $25ea. So I will try for the dip.

These tools are things like VAR and Hozan stuff I no longer use so it's more for aesthetic reasons. I like the idea of the tape or shrink wrap for working tools
Old 08-13-22, 08:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
This is one place I can recommend a Dremel tool. Take it and soften the edge of the tool handle then use plasti-plasti-dip.