Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the fundamental difference between "long pull" and "short pull" brake levers?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What is the fundamental difference between "long pull" and "short pull" brake levers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 04:24 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I bought a set of Shimano SORA levers to be used with center-pull brakes (so, short-pull). They were $16. When I received them, I noticed that they (like the levers in grizzly59's post ^^) were adjustable for either short or long pull.

Looking at my new levers, I find that this "Rule of Thumb" is spot-on.

A Shimano SORA brake lever.

A close-up of the SORA brake lever. The pivot is the black circle at the top. The cable attaches to the silver fitting, which can be moved farther from the pivot to the hole near the bottom of this image.
Thank you for this! I've been fixing to order a set of BL-R780 levers for a bike with 110mm V-brake arms (so, long pull) and a set of BL-R550 for another bike with 85mm "mini" V-brake arms (which I just remembered I already have lying around in a drawer somewhere,) but I just found out I can order two sets of these Sora levers for less than the going rate of one set of Ultegra-level 780s and just set their pull according to which V-brakes I'm going to be using them with. Awesome!
Old 04-19-23, 04:48 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Here's my experience with this long/short pull thing. I have one bike that runs long-pull V-brakes (110mm) on 20-inch wheels. Another bike of mine runs mini V-brakes (85mm) on 700c road wheels. Thing is, despite the fact that both bikes run identical brake levers - Avid FR5 - they feel very different in the braking department: While the 20-incher's braking experience feels a little more deliberate and progressive, the 700c bike's feels more positive with a greater sense of immediacy. As long as I mentally reprogram my modulation accordingbto which bike I'm on (which takes about 30 seconds and 100 feet or so,) either bike can stop as short as I need it to, and either one can send me flying over the handlebar if I'm being a moron.

With that being said, it's worth keeping in mind that the quality of the actual hardware being used (levers, cables, cable housings, V-brake arms and - most importantly - the type and quality of brake pads) is far more important than the mere cable pull ratios and brake arm lengths. Quality, pre-stretched cables; compressionless cable housings; stiff, forged V-brake arms; and quality pads that actually match the size abd curvature of the brake tracks on the rims (basically, just don't use long, straight MTB-style pads on smaller rims) are worthwhile investments. And then there's knowing how to set up and adjust everything - especially the brake pad positioning. I've found that self-toeing pads (with the little lips at the trailing edges) take a lot of the guesswork out of the process and save plenty of time and aggravation.