Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 04-14-20, 06:53 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
I find that I have to switch the gear while pedaling forward gently, and slightly let off the pedals ever so little, almost to the point of pedaling back, and it will engage the gear.
I don't have a 4 speed, but I've owned/ridden plenty of 3 speeds and when shifting from a higher gear to a lower gear I try to pedal a bit slower that I expect to be pedalling after the gear change has occurred, your top 3 gears should operate like a 3 speed, yea?
Old 04-15-20, 06:45 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I don't have a 4 speed, but I've owned/ridden plenty of 3 speeds and when shifting from a higher gear to a lower gear I try to pedal a bit slower that I expect to be pedalling after the gear change has occurred, your top 3 gears should operate like a 3 speed, yea?
The top 3 work like an AW, and the 4th or bottom gear puts everything in tight adjustment. I don't think the shifter has the strength to hold it for very long. I just wanted to make sure that the shifting is working as intended. Still, it is really fun to operate. I've read on UK cycling forums that people still take long tours around the country with their '40s, '50s, '60s, Sturmey hubs.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 04-15-20, 08:37 AM
jackbombay

I've read on UK cycling forums that people still take long tours around the country with their '40s, '50s, '60s, Sturmey hubs.
Last summer I rode a century (and a few half centuries) on my restomod 3 speed hercules, I have some big plans for my recently resto-modded 5 speed sturmey Sprite, but Covid may throw a wrench into those plans, hard to say right now...
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 04-15-20, 08:52 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
These FW four-speeds are a devil to get adjusted just right. I think I finally have the cable tension and adjustment on my FW correct, and no play at the hub either. Shifting from Bottom gear > Low gear > Normal gear > High gear works okay (Bottom gear is tough - I think the shifter is weak being 65 years old, and I may find a newer four-speed shifter). However, shifting from High gear to Normal and on down through the range takes a little finesse. I find that I have to switch the gear while pedaling forward gently, and slightly let off the pedals ever so little, almost to the point of pedaling back, and it will engage the gear. However, it was not doing that when I had a little play at the hub and the shifter was loosely mounted to the bar via zip-tie. It simply engaged up or down while pedaling forward gently. I'm not sure what has changed, other than the cones being adjusted for no play. The cable adjustment remains as per instructions. It is a commuter / all-rounder bike and so I'm not expecting to take my four-speed on week-long tours in the rolling English countryside like owners did back when, engaging Bottom gear constantly, but still I'd like it to work a little better. Salubrious just wondering if you could chime in since I know you own a few four-speeds. Does the S5 conversion solve this issue?
My experience with the S5 (I use my '69 Sprite as one of my two daily commuters) is that, given the kludginess of the left side actuation, I don't treat it as a 1-2-3-4-5 five-speed. I tend to run the bike as a dual range three-speed: With the left lever forward, I'm running 2-3-4 off the right side. With the left lever back, I'm running 1-3-5 off the right side. Now, my setup is completely factory stock except for the right side being controlled by a plain old AW handlebar switch since I've broken the right side lever twice now in my six year ownership of the bike. I've yet to find a third replacement, and if I do it's just going to get bagged and stored, and offered with the bike should I ever decide to sell it. At the moment, highly unlikely.

With a 23t sprocket on the hub, the bike is slightly under geared for me (a 21 or 22 would be better) so using it as a dual-range works fine. About the only time I wish it shifted better are on some lazy days when I want to climb my driveway and am feeling lazy. At which point, I stop the bike, get the left side actuated, and with the right side in low, climb the slight hill in first. If the bike's in one of it's ornery moods and won't shift, I just climb the hill in second and mutter slightly.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-15-20, 10:30 AM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by sykerocker
given the kludginess of the left side actuation
Left side is certainly not as satisfying to shift as the right side!

It took me a bit of tinkering to get it figured out, but I've determined that the best way to shift the left side is to have a slight bit of tension on the drivetrain, its of course totally unlike shifting the right side, and it took me a bit for this to become intuitive, keeping the drivetrain slightly loaded for the 4 to 5 shift. the 2 to 1 shift is the same loading the drive train slightly in second will allow it to go into first easier than no load on the drivetrain, shifting from 2 to 1 has the advantage that when the shift occurs the cranks want to spin faster so having that slight load on the drivetrain is more intuitive.

Shifting from 5 to 4 or 1 to 2 should always be easy/smooth.
Old 04-15-20, 11:08 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 115 Posts
These FW four-speeds are a devil to get adjusted just right. I think I finally have the cable tension and adjustment on my FW correct, and no play at the hub either. Shifting from Bottom gear > Low gear > Normal gear > High gear works okay (Bottom gear is tough - I think the shifter is weak being 65 years old, and I may find a newer four-speed shifter). However, shifting from High gear to Normal and on down through the range takes a little finesse. I find that I have to switch the gear while pedaling forward gently, and slightly let off the pedals ever so little, almost to the point of pedaling back, and it will engage the gear. However, it was not doing that when I had a little play at the hub and the shifter was loosely mounted to the bar via zip-tie. It simply engaged up or down while pedaling forward gently. I'm not sure what has changed, other than the cones being adjusted for no play. The cable adjustment remains as per instructions. It is a commuter / all-rounder bike and so I'm not expecting to take my four-speed on week-long tours in the rolling English countryside like owners did back when, engaging Bottom gear constantly, but still I'd like it to work a little better. Salubrious just wondering if you could chime in since I know you own a few four-speeds. Does the S5 conversion solve this issue?
I've stayed away from the 5 speed conversion. 4 speeds are cool just as they are.

To adjust the shifter, in low the cable should be only just tight enough so that the toggle chain is as far out as it will go. It doesn't do to put any further tension on the shift cable beyond that- such will only lead to poor shifting. If this is set right, getting into low is easier. I really like the 4 speed concept, as the bike becomes considerably more practical, but I don't trust the shifter when climbing out of the saddle in low, so I hold it in low so it can't jump out of gear. But this is also the gear in which the hub gets the most abuse; I've got two of them that skip nastily in low.
Old 04-15-20, 12:40 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Left side is certainly not as satisfying to shift as the right side!

It took me a bit of tinkering to get it figured out, but I've determined that the best way to shift the left side is to have a slight bit of tension on the drivetrain, its of course totally unlike shifting the right side, and it took me a bit for this to become intuitive, keeping the drivetrain slightly loaded for the 4 to 5 shift. the 2 to 1 shift is the same loading the drive train slightly in second will allow it to go into first easier than no load on the drivetrain, shifting from 2 to 1 has the advantage that when the shift occurs the cranks want to spin faster so having that slight load on the drivetrain is more intuitive.

Shifting from 5 to 4 or 1 to 2 should always be easy/smooth.
Thanks for the insight, will give it a try in this afternoon's ride.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-15-20, 12:43 PM
oldveloman

Bikes: 1951-2 BSA 900E Roadster, 1961 Triumph Sports, 1953 Raleigh Sports, 1981 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Twenty, 1951 Taxandria, ±1950 The Gold Lion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Hi all,

My '54 BSA was in need of a serious service, so I took apart the Bottom Bracket.
There was sufficient wear on the axle and cups, so I dug up my box of spare BB-parts, only to find out BSA used a different pitch than Raleigh...
Also, the nuts on the BSA 3speed are different than the Sturmey Archer ones.
Anyone knows the size or has some spare parts lists or anything to confirm?

Peter

Old 04-15-20, 01:03 PM
Salubrious

Originally Posted by oldveloman
Hi all,

My '54 BSA was in need of a serious service, so I took apart the Bottom Bracket.
There was sufficient wear on the axle and cups, so I dug up my box of spare BB-parts, only to find out BSA used a different pitch than Raleigh...
Also, the nuts on the BSA 3speed are different than the Sturmey Archer ones.
Anyone knows the size or has some spare parts lists or anything to confirm?

Peter
Raleigh had their own thread pitch of course; didn't BSA just use the same English thread everyone else other than Raleigh used?
Likes For Salubrious:
Old 04-15-20, 06:24 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 286 Posts
BSA should be 24 TPI
while Raleigh was 26 TPI
it's worse that buying ink for a printer.....
Old 04-15-20, 07:52 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by gster
BSA should be 24 TPI
while Raleigh was 26 TPI
it's worse that buying ink for a printer.....
The old raleigh 3 speeds had a 71mm wide BB shell too, but my 1972 Raleigh 10 speed had a 65 mm wide BB shell, uhhhh, industry standard is 68mm guys? Well, I'm not sure when 68 became standard, but Raleigh is all over the map with BB shell widths...
Old 04-15-20, 08:18 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
The old raleigh 3 speeds had a 71mm wide BB shell too, but my 1972 Raleigh 10 speed had a 65 mm wide BB shell, uhhhh, industry standard is 68mm guys? Well, I'm not sure when 68 became standard, but Raleigh is all over the map with BB shell widths...
Frames are often butchered by the guy in charge on facing the BB's in shops. They get used to shaving x amount of turns off a BB without bothering to actually check before it's too late. Human nature in a production environment.
I watched it happen to a high end EL-OS frame as the mech talked on a cell phone while facing. The BB had to have spacers inserted on drive side to compensate for the error.
Old 04-15-20, 10:15 PM
jackbombay

Originally Posted by clubman
Frames are often butchered by the guy in charge on facing the BB's in shops. They get used to shaving x amount of turns off a BB without bothering to actually check before it's too late. Human nature in a production environment.
I watched it happen to a high end EL-OS frame as the mech talked on a cell phone while facing. The BB had to have spacers inserted on drive side to compensate for the error.
Humans are fallible for sue, bit every old three speed I have messed with has a VERY wide BB shell and the 2 super course frames I have messed with have very narrow BB shells.
Old 04-16-20, 07:35 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire Trader

1950 ? BSA
Very interesting bike. I don't know as much about Birmingham bikes as I do Raleigh, but I can date the Sturmey Archer trigger shifter to the mid 50s. There should be a date stamped in the rear hub shell. Nice bike. Those original handlebar grips are super rare. Very worthy project.
Old 04-16-20, 08:01 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
My experience with the S5 (I use my '69 Sprite as one of my two daily commuters) is that, given the kludginess of the left side actuation, I don't treat it as a 1-2-3-4-5 five-speed. I tend to run the bike as a dual range three-speed: With the left lever forward, I'm running 2-3-4 off the right side. With the left lever back, I'm running 1-3-5 off the right side. Now, my setup is completely factory stock except for the right side being controlled by a plain old AW handlebar switch since I've broken the right side lever twice now in my six year ownership of the bike. I've yet to find a third replacement, and if I do it's just going to get bagged and stored, and offered with the bike should I ever decide to sell it. At the moment, highly unlikely.

With a 23t sprocket on the hub, the bike is slightly under geared for me (a 21 or 22 would be better) so using it as a dual-range works fine. About the only time I wish it shifted better are on some lazy days when I want to climb my driveway and am feeling lazy. At which point, I stop the bike, get the left side actuated, and with the right side in low, climb the slight hill in first. If the bike's in one of it's ornery moods and won't shift, I just climb the hill in second and mutter slightly.
Good information, thanks. Ideally, I'd like to stay with the four-speed. The extra low makes the bike far more useful to me in my riding here in the Ottawa River valley, and I've just serviced the hub with a good clean, bearings, and grease. I'm currently running 48t x 18t and it is a blast to ride with my nice-riding but heavier AO8 frame. I'm keen to try this wheelset on my lighter '50s Armstrong Reynolds 531 frame once it's ready. Then the AO8 will become my first fixed-gear road bike and general experimental frame.

Originally Posted by Salubrious
I've stayed away from the 5 speed conversion. 4 speeds are cool just as they are.

To adjust the shifter, in low the cable should be only just tight enough so that the toggle chain is as far out as it will go. It doesn't do to put any further tension on the shift cable beyond that- such will only lead to poor shifting. If this is set right, getting into low is easier. I really like the 4 speed concept, as the bike becomes considerably more practical, but I don't trust the shifter when climbing out of the saddle in low, so I hold it in low so it can't jump out of gear. But this is also the gear in which the hub gets the most abuse; I've got two of them that skip nastily in low.
Thanks for this Salubrious . I have it adjusted so that in Low, the end of the control rod is flush with the end of the left side axle end (as per Sturmey instructions). If I try your method, I'm thinking it will be slightly tighter and the shifting may improve. Does that sound right?
Old 04-16-20, 08:48 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Old 04-16-20, 08:52 AM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I plan on retiring this summer. One project I am planning to tackle is my 1972 three speed Raleigh Chopper. My goal is to restore it to rideable condition. The bike is about 80 percent complete, and the Sturmey hub appears to be working.
Old 04-16-20, 11:54 AM
gster

Originally Posted by Kratebiker
I plan on retiring this summer. One project I am planning to tackle is my 1972 three speed Raleigh Chopper. My goal is to restore it to rideable condition. The bike is about 80 percent complete, and the Sturmey hub appears to be working.
This is the right place for information.
Old 04-16-20, 12:36 PM
Fat Tire Trader 

Bikes: https://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
Very interesting bike. I don't know as much about Birmingham bikes as I do Raleigh, but I can date the Sturmey Archer trigger shifter to the mid 50s. There should be a date stamped in the rear hub shell. Nice bike. Those original handlebar grips are super rare. Very worthy project.
The Sturmey shifter is not original. In the picture you can see a BSA shifter hanging from the handlebar. I believe it is the correct shifter. The bike has a BSA 3 speed hub, not a Sturmey. As far as I know, BSA hubs are not dated.
Old 04-16-20, 12:56 PM
Salubrious

Thanks for this Salubrious . I have it adjusted so that in Low, the end of the control rod is flush with the end of the left side axle end (as per Sturmey instructions). If I try your method, I'm thinking it will be slightly tighter and the shifting may improve. Does that sound right?
I'm a bit dubious. You really don't want that shift cable to be any tighter than needed! I go by the extension of the toggle chain method simply because I don't trust that the chain and associated hardware is correct and original.
Old 04-16-20, 07:14 PM
sykerocker 

Good information, thanks. Ideally, I'd like to stay with the four-speed. The extra low makes the bike far more useful to me in my riding here in the Ottawa River valley, and I've just serviced the hub with a good clean, bearings, and grease. I'm currently running 48t x 18t and it is a blast to ride with my nice-riding but heavier AO8 frame. I'm keen to try this wheelset on my lighter '50s Armstrong Reynolds 531 frame once it's ready. Then the AO8 will become my first fixed-gear road bike and general experimental frame.
I've never had a four-speed, have always wanted one, because they seemed to make the most sense to me. While I love the first gear on the S5, I rarely use the fifth. My attitude is usually "who really needs the overdrive, it's only good on downhills, and that's coasting time anyway", whereas the under drive on first is always appreciated to get back up the hill that was the only place you could wind fifth out in. In my general commuting area, I have three different shopping malls within a four mile radius of my house, two pretty much on the level, the third is about 500' in elevation below my house. That's when I really appreciate the S5.

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 04-17-20, 09:17 AM
gster

Interesting Bike
here is an early 60's Raleigh built Glider.
Built for Eatons dept stores.

Clearly branded as a Glider it also has a Superb sticker on the downtube

It also has the white accents seen on Canadian bikes as well as a Dyno Hub.
The chrome fenders and chain guard are also common to Gliders.
It lacks a locking fork.
Bike appears in excellent condition with an asking price of $380.00 CDN...
Still a bargain when you consider inflation.
Likes For gster:
Old 04-18-20, 01:17 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Nicely preserved 23" men's Sports on the Boston-area CL for a reasonable price:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...104499339.html
Old 04-18-20, 01:48 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 86 Posts
I've come to terms with the fact that the 1950 Superbe is too small for me. It is the 23" size, but I'm 6'2" or 6'3"ish and mostly legs. The seatpost is too short, and the handlebar stem is way too short. I can't ride it anymore unless I can find a longer post and a longer stem. I'd really like to enjoy this bike and put it in the regular ride and (one day...) commute rotation without sore knees. Anybody got the scoop on longer stem / seatposts that fit these bikes?

Thanks all.
https://www.laxzo.com/vavert-micro-a...st-14385-p.asp
Old 04-18-20, 03:00 PM
gster

Originally Posted by nlerner
Nicely preserved 23" men's Sports on the Boston-area CL for a reasonable price:

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...104499339.html
That is a good deal.
Two bikes, both with leather saddles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.