Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People Are Mesmerized

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

People Are Mesmerized

Old 06-07-20, 01:47 AM
jjafterdark
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
People Are Mesmerized

One oddity of riding that I find rather, well, odd, is how many people are completely gobsmacked by my helmet mirror. It's like the most amazing, arresting, and fascinating accessory they've ever witnessed in their lives. Children and teens in particular are the most likely to stare in amazement. Adults, I assume, have been conditioned not to stare at others, so they appear to take little interest.

I find my helmet mirror to be very lightweight, small and I assume as a result that others would find it to be more or less inconspicuous as well, but young people seem totally drawn in by it.

Over time, I've just gotten used to the fact that young people will stare, but it still surprises me how often it happens.

Do you all find the same thing happening?
Likes For jjafterdark:
Old 06-07-20, 05:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3636 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
Welcome to BF! Happy you are enjoying the attention but maybe it's not the mirror. Do you have anything else unusual going on?
Old 06-07-20, 05:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
No.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-07-20, 05:55 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by jjafterdark
............................Do you all find the same thing happening?
NOPE

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Welcome to BF! Happy you are enjoying the attention but maybe it's not the mirror. Do you have anything else unusual going on?
+1

Originally Posted by indyfabz
No.
What indyfabz posted ^^^
Old 06-07-20, 06:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I too find a lot of people fascinated by either my helmet mounted mirror or my eyeglasses mounted mirror when I'm using either.

Sometimes in a store where some small child is having a tantrum I turn the mirror around so they can see into it and I say look at that cranky person. 99% of the time they see the face and stop the crying or tantrum.

Many adults ask me if I can actually see stuff behind me with such a small mirror. Often I'll take the mirror off and let then try it hand held. They're quite surprise and many who are bicyclists themselves ask where the can buy one.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 06:46 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
People are Mesmerized
One oddity of riding that I find rather, well, odd, is how many people are completely gobsmacked by my helmet mirror. It's like the most amazing, arresting, and fascinating accessory they've ever witnessed in their lives.

Children and teens in particular are the most likely to stare in amazement. Adults, I assume, have been conditioned not to stare at others, so they appear to take little interest.

I find my helmet mirror to be very lightweight, small and I assume as a result that others would find it to be more or less inconspicuous as well, but young people seem totally drawn in by it.

Over time, I've just gotten used to the fact that young people will stare, but it still surprises me how often it happens.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I too find a lot of people fascinated by either my helmet mounted mirror or my eyeglasses mounted mirror when I'm using either...
I recently posted to this recent thread, “Bike Accessories?”
Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
I got the Mirrcyle fitted, sticking out for the time being. Seems alright, but looks a little dorky
Originally Posted by work4bike
I think that's why so many are against mirrors, because they don't look cool, they all want to look cool like a real cyclists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7jKtJLZ4OE
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I wear both left and right Take-a-Look mirrors (link), and many times when I go into a store or some other stop while cycling I'm asked about them, including by the ladies, and the usual response is "cool."

Originally Posted by velopig
Two mirrors and a fluorescent jacket. You win!
On one Halloween,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I once put costume antennae on a headband and poked the antennae through the helmet vents and affixed two plastic eyeballs at the tips.

I then painted my face and exposed skin green, put on those slinky-loaded goo-goo eyeball eyeglasses, and went out for Halloween as a four-eyed space alien.

I wear both left and right Take-a-Look rearview mirrors and once even put plastic eyeballs on them.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-07-20 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added quote by Miele Man and mine about Halloween
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 06-07-20, 06:55 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
I don't use a helmet mirror. I tried it once, but my earbud cords kept getting tangled in it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 06-07-20, 07:09 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I use a glasses-mounted take-a-look mirror. I don't know if they're "mesmerized" or "gobsmacked", but if I run an errand on the bike, say to a store a restaurant or the bank, once in a while people will sometimes ask what it is, especially if my helmet is off (clipped to my backpack).
Old 06-07-20, 08:07 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
shiny objects!
Old 06-07-20, 10:05 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Just try not and think about what the mirror is used for afterdark

Old 06-07-20, 10:34 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
What’s more fun is being so used to the mirror that you find yourself looking for the mirror when not on a bike.
Likes For But its me:
Old 06-07-20, 11:32 AM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Do you tell them their reflections aren't appearing in your mirror for some odd reasons?
Old 06-07-20, 12:03 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Lately the most comments that I get are along the lines of...

1. Why don't you ride an electric bike?
2. Why don't you have disc brakes?
3. Is that a fixie?
Old 06-07-20, 02:24 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by But its me
What’s more fun is being so used to the mirror that you find yourself looking for the mirror when not on a bike.
Worse is reaching up to adjust it when you're not wearing it id glasses mounted, or the helmet it's mounted on that.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 05:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
no.

I dont wear one because when I care whats behind me, I look.
I haven't noticed people staring at someone who wears a mirror because I don't look at people for more than a brief moment while riding since there is no reason to.
Old 06-07-20, 07:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont wear one because when I care whats behind me, I look.
I envy your flexibility.
Likes For bobwysiwyg:
Old 06-07-20, 08:52 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I've been relying on glasses-mounted mirrors for the past twenty one years (the most useful items I've ever bought from bike shops, BTW). I never would've guessed that a discussion thread would be about the supposed fascination that onlookers have of the mirror. Even when grocery shopping, where I'm pushing my bicycle around the store, a lot of people are seeing me and have the opportunity to comment on the mirror. If they are fascinated by the mirror, I'd never have any clue about it. Then again, when I have no reason to be wary of vehicles approaching from behind, I have the glasses pushed up over the top of my head. But anyway, no.

Last edited by Nyah; 06-07-20 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 05:48 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I just ordered one of the Take A Look mirrors... I plan on mounting it to my helmet rather than glasses, to have it able to see as far out as possible (I bought it for tandem cycling-- harder to just turn and look over my shoulder when I have to also look past someone else, especially since my stoker is built a bit larger than I am, so the mirror will be helpful in those situations where I won't need to turn, like simply seeing what's behind us). I've been reading mixed reviews on getting it mounted on a helmet, with some people having no issues and some having a really hard time getting it to go on... any tips? (I do not want it permanently mounted, so no glue, duct tape, zip ties, screws, etc. I will be removing it after every ride. I'm sure this will drive me nuts to have to readjust it every. time. but I just don't want/need it on there permanently.)
Old 06-17-20, 05:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Lately the most comments that I get are along the lines of...

1. Why don't you ride an electric bike?
2. Why don't you have disc brakes?
3. Is that a fixie?
That's weird. I usually get asked what chain lube I'm using.
Old 06-17-20, 07:54 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I just ordered one of the Take A Look mirrors... I plan on mounting it to my helmet rather than glasses, to have it able to see as far out as possible (I bought it for tandem cycling-- harder to just turn and look over my shoulder when I have to also look past someone else, especially since my stoker is built a bit larger than I am, so the mirror will be helpful in those situations where I won't need to turn, like simply seeing what's behind us). I've been reading mixed reviews on getting it mounted on a helmet, with some people having no issues and some having a really hard time getting it to go on... any tips? (I do not want it permanently mounted, so no glue, duct tape, zip ties, screws, etc. I will be removing it after every ride. I'm sure this will drive me nuts to have to readjust it every. time. but I just don't want/need it on there permanently.)
> TAKE A LOOK TESTIMONIAL > dorkiness aside the TAKE A LOOK is as good as it gets ... im an x moto guy who used bar ends... i ride fixed ... a TAKE A LOOK on your glasses or helmet liner or visor will give you optimum 5-7 o'clock viewing ... i still lane check but the TAKE A LOOK makes it easier in traffic ... on your helmet or affixed to your glasses it is A+ ... to tape or not to tape it on is your choice but to begin with don't tape it & see how you best like it ...it may be distracting at the very first but you will be used to it after a few hours of riding ... you will soon find that the only bad aspect of a TAKE A LOOK is having to be mindful of it when you are carrying your helmet in your hand or storing it >... it's the best $15 biking bucks that you will ever spend >DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT
Old 06-17-20, 12:10 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
No, but I take my helmet off when I get of the bike
Old 06-17-20, 03:15 PM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Bring binoculars and stare back at them. 🤗😐🤗
Old 06-21-20, 02:01 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
I just ordered one of the Take A Look mirrors... I've been reading mixed reviews on getting it mounted on a helmet, with some people having no issues and some having a really hard time getting it to go on... any tips? (I do not want it permanently mounted, so no glue, duct tape, zip ties, screws, etc. I will be removing it after every ride. I'm sure this will drive me nuts to have to readjust it every. time. but I just don't want/need it on there permanently.)
Take A Look is my preferred mirror too. Even though most of my riding is road, I prefer MTB helmets (Fly Racing Freestone amongst others) for the extra rear coverage and big visors they provide. Found that the visor is a great spot to attach the Take A Look, using cable ties to secure. Not permanent, but holds relatively well. The maker of mirror does sell a small piece of plastic for helmet use, but have never tried it (being cheap!).
Old 06-21-20, 08:18 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I read so many good reviews of it, I figured it was the one.

I got it to attach to the side of the visor okay... I'm just not confident it will stay. I'm not much liking the idea of having to do something like taping it (I can't see anywhere I would use zip ties or, as I read someone did, velcro straps) and attaching/removing tape each time I use it (and dealing with the tape residue), but it might come down to that, because I have a feeling that otherwise I'd lose it on the first bump we hit.