Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

72 Gitane Super Corsa frame and fork

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 10-07-21, 04:54 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts

This is a 1972 Gitane Super Corsa (or TDF) frame and fork. This is a repaint and I believe it was also rechromed. When they repainted it they left the head tube lugs chrome exposed. In great shape with a few paint flakes/chips here and there. See pictures. The seat tube decal is not stuck on really well but replacements are available if desired. I will include the 26.4 Campagnolo seat post, the seat post bolt and the chain stay cable stop. Tubing is metric Reynolds 531 and all threading is French. 55cm ctc seat tube and top tube. 122mm rear spacing.

See the comments below as to what this frame really is. I do not know the history and it is being sold as is.

$250 plus shipbikes shipping from 81631

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Last edited by BlueDevil63; 10-08-21 at 09:56 AM. Reason: new info
Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 10-07-21, 05:15 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil63
This is a 1972 Gitane Super Corsa frame and fork. This is a repaint and I believe it was also rechromed. When they repainted it they left the head tube lugs chrome exposed. In great shape with a few paint flakes/chips here and there. See pictures. The seat tube decal is not stuck on really well but replacements are available if desired. I will include the 26.4 Campagnolo seat post, the seat post bolt and the chain stay cable stop. Tubing is metric Reynolds 531 and all threading is French. 55cm ctc seat tube and top tube. 122mm rear spacing.

$250 plus shipbikes shipping from 81631

Very nice! You wouldn’t have a TDF frameset in similar size you would be willing to part with by any chance? I have a complete 60cm TDF that’s too big for me ☹️
Old 10-07-21, 05:40 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
Very nice! You wouldn’t have a TDF frameset in similar size you would be willing to part with by any chance? I have a complete 60cm TDF that’s too big for me ☹️
The parts on the TdF should all work (with the possible exception of the headset) and the super corsa is a model above the TdF . . .

This is a pretty frame. I'm not picking up any more projects but this bike is tempting. GLWS.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-07-21, 06:03 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
It is a nice frame. It has more chrome exposed than original but looks nice. The paint is kind of thick but not bad at all. Some of the decals may not be as straight as they should be but a complete new set of decals is only about $50.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 10-07-21, 11:40 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
1972-73 TdF Frame

Frame is drop dead gorgeous. It's the prettiest Gitane frame from that era I've ever seen.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but... really great paint and chrome but Gitane never used that color of red back then nor did they chrome the lugs or apply that much to the rear stays.

Also it's a 1972-73 Tour de France rather than a Super Corsa frame.

Why? Because Gitane used "Italian Style" Prugnat Type "S" long point lugs on the Tour de France, the Super Corsa and the European Olympic models. In 1972 Gitane switched to Bocama Professional medium point lugs on the Tour de France bikes - maybe a bike boom delivery problem with Prugnat lugs???

My almost all original 57cm 1971 TdF with Prugnat Type S lugs

1972-73 TdF with Bocama Professional medium point lugs

In addition, the TdF frames had shorter steerers to fit Stronglight P3 headsets with a 34mm stack height. The Super Corsa and European Olympic models had longer steerers for 39-41mm stack height Campy headsets.

Super Corsa fork - notice the thread length at the top of the steerer.

Gitane measured their frame sizes from Center to Top of the seat tubes. They made them in 50cm, 54cm, 57cm, 60cm, 62cm and 64cm sizes.

I suspect that BlueDevil63 frame is an oddball 55cm or 56cm C-to-T size. A few off size frames slipped through during the bike boom craze. I had a 53cm Gran Tourisme and a 61cm TdF (after a 2 litre lunch production?).

One other thing, Campagnolo dropouts do not maketh a TdF a Super Corsa! The tell that a frame is a TdF is the steerer length and from 1972-73, the Bocama medium point lugs.

During the bike boom fad of the early 70's Gitane used 6 different types of Simplex dropouts plus Huret dropouts on European models wit Huret derailleurs.

Campy dropouts cost more than twice the price of French made dropouts in France! The frugal French were loath to spend a few Centimes much less several extra Francs on Italian dropouts. At the height of the boom, European bike manufactures,especially the French ware so hard pressed to push bikes out the door, they used anything that they could get their hands on!

TdFs came with Simplex, Huret and rarely Campy fork ends.

All in all, it's a spectacular frame at a killer price!

I have a 54cm 1972 Super Corsa with a Campy headset repainted by Ed Litton that I'd like to get ~$400 for.

verktyg History is written by those who weren't there!

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 10-08-21 at 12:04 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 10-08-21, 02:19 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
Frame Sizes

How I'm judging the frame size: the space between the top and bottom head tube lugs and the rainbow band on the Gitane head badge sticker.

54cm 1972 Super Corsa

Slowride79 frame - 55cm - 56cm???

57cm 1971 Tour de France

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-08-21, 06:56 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 962 Times in 480 Posts
I’ve also never seen chromed lugs on a Gitane, but it looks dead sexy with red! GLWS