Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best Rear Light for $25?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best Rear Light for $25?

Old 12-14-19, 02:39 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
My iPad with its auto exposure doesn’t capture the brightness of these blinkies but they are all quite blinding — and inexpensive!
Stratus
XPC Planet Bike Grateful Red Serfas Stop Sign
by andyXchrist, on Flickr

RANS Stratus XPC by andyXchrist, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.com/Akale-Recharg...V50R3H19MKQK0K

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Serfas-TL-S...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PB-Grateful...72.m2749.l2649

First link is to set of 4 for $18.99 which comes with one pair of red flashing tails and one pair of white to mount on handle bars.

Last edited by andychrist; 12-14-19 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-28-19, 10:12 PM
Pacobee

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Stix light for 30....little higher but like it so far
Old 02-08-20, 06:50 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
These are my favourite tail lights. These have built in solar chargers. You don't need to recharge them, or replace batteries.

At the time of writing, you can buy these on ebay for less than US$3.

Old 02-08-20, 09:08 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
These are my favourite tail lights. These have built in solar chargers. You don't need to recharge them, or replace batteries.

At the time of writing, you can buy these on ebay for less than US$3.
Those are worth a try, but you may still want to replace the battery eventually. My solar marker lights on my driveway don't hold a charge for long anymore. I've been meaning to replace their batteries.
Old 02-08-20, 01:45 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by RichSPK
Those are worth a try, but you may still want to replace the battery eventually. My solar marker lights on my driveway don't hold a charge for long anymore. I've been meaning to replace their batteries.
No doubt you can replace the batteries. You would need to find out where to get appropriate batteries.

However, at less than $3 per light, it is probably easier to replace the light. If a light got broken or stolen at some time, replacing it should not cause financial stress for most people.

More information here: https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...le-lights.html
Likes For alo:
Old 05-14-20, 12:31 PM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I love anything by KNOG. I've owned several. Seems that battery life is on par with other products out there (if not better), interface with bike is fantastic and features/settings are excellent.
Old 08-20-20, 03:31 PM
Biker GD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some great ideas here 👍

Kind regards

Biker GD
Old 10-07-20, 10:59 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I received my latest tail light today, about 3 dollars, no idea who the manufacturer was but was common on 1960s Romet bikes from Poland. I am not sure how bright it will be, but it will snuggle up close to its bottle dynamo.
Old 10-07-20, 11:03 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
I received my latest tail light today, about 3 dollars, no idea who the manufacturer was but was common on 1960s Romet bikes from Poland. I am not sure how bright it will be, but it will snuggle up close to its bottle dynamo.
Good luck with That Light.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-08-20, 08:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I suggest an LED bulb for that tail light, @Geepig. If it casts its light in many directions, you'll get more light per watt.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-12-20, 05:49 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I suggest an LED bulb for that tail light, @Geepig. If it casts its light in many directions, you'll get more light per watt.
That is very good advice, and at some point in the future I may well do that. In the meantime I will run the incandescent blub because this is my first bottle dynamo application and I want to experience that old-time combination. I will probably review my lighting next summer, so that might be a good change point. For now I am just renovating.
Old 01-31-22, 03:27 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts

This is a Pannier/ Tailbox. I built this to make the recumbent bike community happy

Testing a new Samsung Galaxy phone...
Likes For hotbike:
Old 01-31-22, 03:42 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Making GIF animations to show the directional indicators.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 01-31-22, 04:03 PM
hotbike

The all-important left turn signal

"I'm taking the lane"

Bicycles usually go around parked cars, not slam into them.
This is the only way to get the message across, it seems...

Anyway, IIRC these lights cost about $1.67 each . The OP asked about the cost of the light,, not the cost of the battery, which is 12 volt. I recently converted from. Lead/acid to Lithium Iron Phosphate, but the cost of LiFePO4 has come down to where it is more economical than lead acid.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 02-01-22, 10:22 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Originally Posted by hotbike
This is a Pannier/ Tailbox. I built this to make the recumbent bike community happy
Some day I plan to make brackets to attach to my racks so I can fit multiple tail lights. A motorcycling friend once surmised that car drivers seem to recognize a triangle of lights much better than a single light, so that's what I'm aiming for. It would also give a better sense of the width of the bike so, hopefully, cars will give adequate space when passing.
Old 02-01-22, 03:15 PM
hotbike

Some day I plan to make brackets to attach to my racks so I can fit multiple tail lights. A motorcycling friend once surmised that car drivers seem to recognize a triangle of lights much better than a single light, so that's what I'm aiming for. It would also give a better sense of the width of the bike so, hopefully, cars will give adequate space when passing.

This 🔝 is what I have my tail lights mounted on.

I’m working on a 15 inch cube next (So it will fit in a 16” cube cardboard box).

I want you to see the plan, so you can grasp the simplicity of it. It’s one box that does the work of three , left, right, & top.
Corrugated Polypropylene can be found at Home Depot, it’s right next to the plexiglass, near the shower doors.
LED lights can be found on Amazon.

I buy LED blinker modules by the 5-pack

This plan is better than making brackets.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 02-02-22, 09:41 AM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by hotbike
I want you to see the plan, so you can grasp the simplicity of it. It’s one box that does the work of three , left, right, & top.
Corrugated Polypropylene can be found at Home Depot, it’s right next to the plexiglass, near the shower doors.
LED lights can be found on Amazon.
Thanks! What are you fastening the polypropylene with? Glue?
Old 02-02-22, 06:48 PM
hotbike

Thanks! What are you fastening the polypropylene with? Glue?
Glues. I’ve used hot-melt glue, which bonds quickly, as soon as it cools. And I’ve used a construction adhesive called Loctite PL, which comes in a tube that fits in a caulk gun. It requires a lot of clamps. I had to use boards ,1”x4” , about 28” long, and sandwich the seams, with carpenter clamps outside, there was no way to fit the clamps otherwise.

⬇️⬇️⬇️Creasing method shown below ⬇️⬇️⬇️
⬇️⬇️⬇️Edge of a cutting board. ⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Clamping method shown above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I might have a few photos

Last edited by hotbike; 02-02-22 at 06:54 PM.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 02-02-22, 07:03 PM
hotbike

Front and rear are cut from another piece of Coroplast (or similar corrugated polypropylene) keeping the grain horizontal.

The pattern for the sides, bottoms, and wheel arch. You could conceivably cut two of these from one 48” by 96” sheet, if you fudge it a little bit, I’m leaving two inches of flap to fold over and glue…

Pattern with locations marked Blue lines cut Red lines fold

Pattern with measurements marked in millimeters (And I spelled “height” wrong)
Likes For hotbike:
Old 05-27-22, 09:27 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Has anyone used the Lumintop tail light? I see good things here about the headlights, but not much about the tail lights-- the tail light isn't even shown on their site.

https://www.amazon.com/LUMINTOP-Rech...t-items&sr=1-2

(Thinking about getting the C01 headlight, but not sure if I should also do the tail light or go for another brand there.)

Last edited by Kat12; 05-27-22 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-11-22, 11:11 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Has anyone used the Lumintop tail light? I see good things here about the headlights, but not much about the tail lights-- the tail light isn't even shown on their site.

(Thinking about getting the C01 headlight, but not sure if I should also do the tail light or go for another brand there.)
I think the brand names on these change?

I bought 2 very similar to this. However, they were not used for commuting, but so my kids could ride around campground after sundown. I was satisfied with them for that purpose.
Old 12-11-22, 12:28 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I think the brand names on these change?

I bought 2 very similar to this. However, they were not used for commuting, but so my kids could ride around campground after sundown. I was satisfied with them for that purpose.
Not sure. Lumintop seems to be an actual company, just that they seem to sell exclusively on Amazon. Vs. other products you often see on Amazon that seem to be sort of "white label" things where the exact same product is slapped under whatever Chinese company happens to be selling it that day.

I did buy the Lumintop lights and they seem okay for my purposes (very occasional after-dark riding). I chose the cheaper of the two headlight options and like it; even on lower settings it's bright enough for me to see what's in my path. Not as sure about the tail light since obviously I'm never behind me observing how it works, but when I just look at it on the bike it seems nice and bright (maybe I should park the bike and walk a couple blocks down the street to see how visible it is). Can't speak to longevity since I've only used them maybe 4 times since getting them.
Old 05-24-23, 01:28 PM
rc5781

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
This thread is right up my alley. I use these. Less than 3 bucks each

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19566854385...Bk9SR6Dv1_KJYg

Not necessarily from this particular vendor, but just search for "5 LED USB Rechargeable Bike Tail Light". Include results from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. Yes, they're from China and take about a month to be delivered, sometimes less.

I get one red and one blue light to "simulate" cop lights. I use the 4th setting. Not too busy, not too stale. And yes, I'm about 90% positive they're legal in my area because I've checked the statutes. Also, I've been passed by many cops in the area and no one has said anything,

Use the micro usb that's included. Gently insert and take out. I've broken a light by applying too much pressure. My rides are for about an hour and a half, maybe more. I recharge every 3 rides. I could probably get 4.
Old 05-25-23, 05:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by rc5781
This thread is right up my alley. I use these. Less than 3 bucks each

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19566854385...Bk9SR6Dv1_KJYg

Not necessarily from this particular vendor, but just search for "5 LED USB Rechargeable Bike Tail Light". Include results from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan. Yes, they're from China and take about a month to be delivered, sometimes less.

I get one red and one blue light to "simulate" cop lights. I use the 4th setting. Not too busy, not too stale. And yes, I'm about 90% positive they're legal in my area because I've checked the statutes. Also, I've been passed by many cops in the area and no one has said anything,

Use the micro usb that's included. Gently insert and take out. I've broken a light by applying too much pressure. My rides are for about an hour and a half, maybe more. I recharge every 3 rides. I could probably get 4.
Wow, at $2.74 each, it's tempting to buy a pile of them. I *think* I notice I get a lot of attention when I have more than one flashing taillight.

I once had a light that flashed blue and red, and an oncoming car pulled over because he didn't know what I was driving. I decided I won't use blue and red anymore.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 05-25-23, 05:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Kat12

That looks like a light I have. I would call it something between barely adequate and inadequate. Not bright enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.