Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rans V2 - Change Rear Cassette

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 08:21 AM
romeroom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I've been riding my Rans V2 for a while, my knowledge the mechanics associated with shifting and gearing mechanisms is marginal at best.

My bike currently has the original 20+ year old 9 speed rear cassette, showing significant signs of wear.

I would like to consider upgrading to an 11 speed, 11-46, or something like hat. In addition to needing a new shifter,

1. Would the 11 speed cassette fit?
2. Would I need a different chain?

You might ask "why the change." I don't have a great answer. Even though I've thoroughly enjoyed settling on the large front chainring, its still giving me issues. The idea is to completely eliminate the front derailleur and rely on the flexibility of a new rear cassette with more gears. Again, given my deep novice knowledgebase, none of this may make sense nor make much of a difference, which is where you come in. Thanks for your understanding.
Old 02-18-22, 03:13 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think you'll need a new wheel. New 9/10/11s hubs require 9-speed cassettes to use a spacer. 10/11 speed chains are narrower, too. I don't know if you can 'get by' using a 9-speed chain. If your old cassette shows wear, then you need a new chain anyway, why not get the right one?
Old 02-22-22, 01:31 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why go to all that fuss and bother? Just get a new 9 speed cassette, and change it out. It would be only a 5 minute operation with a chain whip. It would mean virtually no fussing around at all.
Old 02-23-22, 03:17 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Good luck and enjoy if completed. I test rode a friend's V2 and it was great so might be looking for one.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 02-23-22, 06:21 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Why go to all that fuss and bother? Just get a new 9 speed cassette, and change it out. It would be only a 5 minute operation with a chain whip. It would mean virtually no fussing around at all.
I agree. Get a similar replacement set of gears and possibly a chain.

Old 02-24-22, 01:14 PM
romeroom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I agree. Get a similar replacement set of gears and possibly a chain.
Thanks so much for the suggestions.