Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Springtime for Hetchins

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Springtime for Hetchins

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-22, 06:41 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
Springtime for Hetchins

Yes, recently re-watched "The Producers". Finally finished up a project I'd alluded to in other threads without specifics, a 1950 Hetchins - either a SuperSport or a Nulli Secundus. Based what I've read over at Hetchins.org both were in production in the period this frame was made and the only way to differentiate is from the sales records. But "a rose by any other name" as it were, it's lovely and my final grail. The frame popped up in late October and I jumped, no regrets though I will say that this build, more than any other to date, took a lot of out me in many ways and I'm a bit burned out. Finding mostly correct parts was an odyssey in itself, and I learned way more than I ever thought I would about English gear from that period. I outfitted it with a Titan stem and handlebars (which I had in the stash), BH Airlite hubs, CB Italia rims, a Reynolds seat post, GB Hiduminium brakes and Superhood levers, TA pedals (for now), and Brooks Swallow saddle. I used repro ribbed brake housings.

A first for me in several ways other than the frame. The Chater Lea headset was fun to set up, fortunately the bearing surfaces are in excellent condition. I know wood rims were largely supplanted by 1950 but I could not resist after seeing other bikes with them, they were an interesting experience to build and I had some issues getting spoke lengths right. The cork pads - well they work. The Simplex RD setup was frustrating at first and then suddenly clicked for me. I converted a nice 4sp model to 5sp with some bits from a ragged out derailleur, and to my surprise it shifts very nicely. It took awhile to dial it all in but at last it's pretty much there.

I've done a couple of short shakedowns but today was the first real ride. With a 74.5 degree HT angle it's definitely lively, but not that bad. With 48 teeth up front and 24 max in the rear I have some fitness work to do to tackle even the moderate hills we have here in Elvis Land without blowing a gasket. With luck I can source a Chater Lea or similar with 46 teeth, and I have a Juy 51 which I may try out later and see if I can go to 26 max in the rear... Two issues remain to be worked out. One is an intermittent clicking in the BB area, I've tightened the cotters and removed all play from the BB so not sure what's up. When it does it happens with the DS crank at top and beginning the down stroke. And my DIY Coloral semi-replica rotated during the ride so it became as pictured, I may need to make a small rod to connect from the bottom of the cage to the handlebar clamp bolt to stabilize that. But overall a great way to bring in the Spring and start the new riding season in earnest.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 03-20-22 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 03-20-22, 06:59 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 138 Posts
Let me be the first.
Congrats.
You did a first rate job and it's a beauty.
I now first hand how difficult it can be to source parts from that time period and it can become a real rabbit hole for time and money.
Well done, well done.
Likes For OTS:
Old 03-20-22, 07:32 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Thank you OTS . It definitely turned into a monster, totally shot the slush fund. Worth it to me, but I do feel fatigued after it all. Fortunately, as part of that search I picked up a few other odds and ends that will be going on an inexpensive mystery English frame I picked up at the same time as the Hetchins. But it's going to be quite awhile before I get around to that.
Old 03-20-22, 07:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
A good color. That headset would have scared me off. I try to stay clear for Frustration Blvd.

those cranks look so dainty.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-20-22, 10:01 PM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
What a work of art.

Wooden wheels are as perfect a compliment to this build as I've ever seen, and although already mentioned, those cranks are so incredibly elegant. My favorite, however, may just be all those small nips of delicious brass dotting the entire package.

Bravo, sir.
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 03-21-22, 02:08 AM
Alexbaker67

Bikes: 1985 Davidson Signature, 1983 Davidson Signature, 2002 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1980 Kobe Citation, 1954 Raleigh Sports, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 1991 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, 1936 Elgin American

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Absolutely beautiful and artistic build. The wood rims really complete the bike, but I think my favorite touch is that handlebar mounted stop watch… Congratulations!
Likes For Alexbaker67:
Old 03-21-22, 06:58 AM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 158 Posts
Nice.
Old 03-21-22, 07:33 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Magnificent !
A masterpiece of bike art.
I would love to experience this ride.
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-21-22, 10:33 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I am green with envy. That is one beautiful vintage road bicycle. Well done! Beats the heck out of anything that I have ever owned. It's a keeper.
Old 03-21-22, 11:52 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I am green with envy. That is one beautiful vintage road bicycle. Well done! Beats the heck out of anything that I have ever owned. It's a keeper.
Yeah -- same here. Most of us have some pretty standout classic machines, but this one is over the top. Beautiful!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-21-22, 02:55 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
lovely result. Very pleasing to the eye, and well photographed.

The lack of adjusting in the Simplex requires a good chainline to start. There were some notes at the old Classic Lightweights site, Simplex and Peter Underwood's personal guide.
Yesterday I was working on the mould to see if I can cast some Superhood half hoods.
I already can produce the Shockstop handlebar plugs.
I also like the late 1940s/early 1950s British lightweights
Old 03-21-22, 05:45 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, much appreciated. The frame is so lovely on its own, essentially all I did was guild the lilly.

My original intent was to use Campy Grand Sport gear which I already had and which would have been correct I think, but after seeing examples with Simplex, Huret and Benelux gear I knew I had to take that route and aesthetically it was the right decision.
As for the crankset, I had a bid in on a re-chromed Chater Lea on the 'Bay and was winning but had an urgent issue I had to deal with, lost track of time and missed out on defending for the win. It went for a really good price so I was kicking myself. But I found this crankset NOS at VeloSaloon in Austria, they id'ed it as a "Smutney" which I had never heard of and have been unable to find anything on in searching. I like that it has chainring mount integrated into the crank arm like the CL - and maybe a somewhat more refined appearance, a thing of beauty and probably just as well things turned out like they did.

Late in the game I stumbled across a pair of CL pedals for very little money, good thing since I was almost tapped out at that point. Those will be perfect for this but I need to strip, derust and nickel plate the barrels, they're pretty rough. I can do that at home so I'll get to it eventually, but for now the TA's look fine.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 03-21-22 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Sp, omission
Old 03-21-22, 06:55 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Snipe program, keeps the adrenaline out of it, you win or you don't.

manual sniping is the way to a thin wallet.

CL is making pedals again, not for the faint of heart, not cheap, but wide and that is useful for bigger blokes.
Old 03-21-22, 08:28 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob

Outstanding build. So many cool details it's like getting a glimpse of another era. Oddly enough, the cork brake pads were one of the things that jumped out at me.

I just have to be sure I'm seeing this right: is the seat tube scooped out at the bottom to increase wheel clearance?
Old 03-21-22, 08:40 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Originally Posted by Clang
I just have to be sure I'm seeing this right: is the seat tube scooped out at the bottom to increase wheel clearance?
​​​​Hey Clang , the seat tube does indeed have an indent in it to allow for a shorter wheelbase and fenders. If I understand correctly frames with this feature were referred to as Six-day models in addition to their specific model type.
Old 03-22-22, 02:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
FABULOUS. That is great looking bike, love those wood rims.

I deeply regret selling mine but at least it paid a few months rent

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk