Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Current market and recommendations

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-15-22, 03:36 PM
DBDad

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all,

New guy here. I’ve been researching vintage steel road bikes and this forum seems to have great info, so I thought I’d join.

I’m interested in a vintage steel road bike. I’m looking for something with a geometry for quickness as opposed to touring, though I’m not against a speedy tourer.

My riding experience - New rider. Currently ride a Surly Cross-Check. I take rides of 20-30 miles at a 15.6 mph pace. Slow, but hoping to get faster with more riding! Also enjoy taking the bike for a bit of light off-roading.

Budget - Any input on the market would also help. A couple years ago these old bikes looked fairly cheap (depending, of course), now, not so much. Is the market totally insane for these bikes now? I have a budget of $1,000. I’m looking for something solid that will work well. I don’t really need all original parts.

I’ve been looking at the Raleigh Competition, International, and Professional. I had a Raleigh as a kid and have fond memories of it (though it was a cheapo). I don’t really know anything about other brands except for Bianchi being pricy and cool looking in that celeste.

Any recommendations are appreciated. I’ve discovered Sheldon Brown’s Raleigh info. Any pointers in more directions to more resources would be great.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Likes For DBDad:
Old 05-15-22, 03:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage-sales/
Old 05-15-22, 03:54 PM
DBDad

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great, thanks!
Old 05-15-22, 04:10 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
Howdy, Neighbor.

Originally Posted by DBDad
Hi all,
New guy here....Is the market totally insane for these bikes now?
Hah. You must be in Wilmington! The market here has been an outlier for years. Bargains to be had in Raleigh and Asheville, but rarely in ILM. There are a few members scattered along the Coast, so if you post the size you think you're seeking, one of us may PM you once you have the 10 posts? (I, for one, have a 24 1/2" '74 International which doesn't work for me. And I am uninterested in profit.)

Keep an eye on the "Are You Looking For..." thread, as interesting examples often present, and on the "Frame Doesn't Fit Pass Around Game" or whatever it's called now.

You might also want to have a look at Dale Brown's Google Group list email I don't know what to call it thing "Classic-Rendezvous.". A lot of folks with deep and interesting history post there. His shop is in NC in the Triangle maybe?

With patience and perseverance and your budget you will have no problem finding a good rider.

Last edited by machinist42; 05-15-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 04:15 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I have a Raleigh competition, international and professional and they are all great bikes. I would recommend any of them. The international may have a big longer wheelbase and feel more similar to your surly than the professional.
Old 05-15-22, 04:35 PM
Nwvlvtnr 

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 78 Posts
I have a 2005 Cross Check, it’s both the last new bike I ever purchased and the newest bicycle I own…
Old 05-15-22, 04:36 PM
DBDad

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
Hah. You must be in Wilmington!

Howdy! I sure am. Been here for about 6 months, was in Asheville before that. Plan to join Cape Fear Cyclists here soon to talk with some of those folks about vintage rides.

I’m looking for a 54cm/21.5”.

Thanks for that great info!
Old 05-15-22, 04:36 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 537 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I’m not familiar with the Raleigh market but 1/2 your budget will get you a first rate bike from many manufacturers. To give you an idea of $$ outlay - my mid 80s Specialized Allez, bought from a member here and which I think is in good condition, I am into ~$700. If it was local shipping would have been out of the equation but it was my size and the seller was fabulous to work with.
Expenses, besides the bike - new tires, cables, bearings, bar wrap, brake pads, chain and a general cleaning. My labor was free, naturally. Pics are the bike around 93.62316% completed.

Again, welcome. Great bunch of people here!

PS - I’m a big Surly fan.

Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-15-22, 04:39 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Welcome, @DBDad!

Deals are still out there if you look hard enough. Was at a bike swap last week and there were deals aplenty.

Last year I scored this '88 Schwinn for $150.

I have since upgraded it to a 3x9 setup. 80s Columbus Tenax-tubed Schwinns are great riders.

If you are into Raleighs, don't overlook the Raleigh Racing USA models from the 80s. Very nice-looking bikes, and they tend to have a good reputation as solid riders.
Models would include the Prestige, Competition, and Super Course, among others.
Old 05-15-22, 04:39 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 3,075 Times in 1,940 Posts
Non Raleigh possibilities...experts will weigh in
Austro Daimler Olympian, SLE, vent Noir
Peugeot PX10 types and cousins
Trek Elance, 500 series

@verktyg and @rustystrings61 could probably suggest some good Gitanes

Motobecanes, Olmos, Lotus, older Centurions, if you wanted to deviate Cannondale.

Just sending some suggestions of the more vintage nameplates that won’t break the bank and had some sport models that say between race Geometry and touring...

I am in the Charleston area, so I can keep an eye out. Let us know the sizes preferred..

Dave
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-15-22, 04:43 PM
DBDad

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I have a Raleigh competition, international and professional and they are all great bikes. I would recommend any of them. The international may have a big longer wheelbase and feel more similar to your surly than the professional.
Thanks for that. I hope I can find one in good shape.

I think I read on there that they lengthened the Competition in the late 70s? The earlier ones were more racy? Then there’s the G.S.
Old 05-15-22, 04:45 PM
Kevin stafford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
Just a quick follow up to machinist 42’s post, Dale Brown’s shop is in NC, but in Greensboro. The shop is cycles Deoro, Dale is a great guy, and has a few vintage bikes for sale at his shop (pics at cyclesdeoro.com).
Old 05-15-22, 05:10 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Welcome, @DBDad!

Deals are still out there if you look hard enough. Was at a bike swap last week and there were deals aplenty.

Last year I scored this '88 Schwinn for $150.

I have since upgraded it to a 3x9 setup. 80s Columbus Tenax-tubed Schwinns are great riders.

If you are into Raleighs, don't overlook the Raleigh Racing USA models from the 80s. Very nice-looking bikes, and they tend to have a good reputation as solid riders.
Models would include the Prestige, Competition, and Super Course, among others.
I agree about the Columbus Schwinn. I had a friend that bought a Circuit in 1987. It wasn’t cheap , he paid a lot for it but said it was the best riding bike he ever had …until it went into the side of a car and ejected him over the car. He got it back on the road but the head tube cracked about a year later. I tried it out and was amazed at the ride.
Old 05-15-22, 05:15 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
ILMy

Howdy! I sure am. Been here for about 6 months, was in Asheville before that. Plan to join Cape Fear Cyclists here soon to talk with some of those folks about vintage rides.

I have an old mid level late '80s early '90s Miele of that size (which is too small for me to ride) and I picked it up for parts because it was well under $100, which at the time was the limit for the Clunker Challenge. It's not a Raleigh, but would make a great Entry! I may have something else..? I will have to have a look see.

I knew you were in Wilmington when you mentioned the inflated market. If it's inexpensive and interesting it is not available for very long here.

I've never associated with the Cape Fear riders as I won't join any group which would have me as a member. I know they have a FB page?

Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, Wilmington's Bicycle Infrastructure leaves much to be desired, so all their Group Rides involve driving to a location and then riding their bicycles, and I won't truck with that.

Originally Posted by Kevin stafford
Just a quick follow up to machinist 42’s post, Dale Brown’s shop is in NC, but in Greensboro. The shop is cycles Deoro, Dale is a great guy, and has a few vintage bikes for sale at his shop (pics at cyclesdeoro.com).
Longtime member of CR who rarely forgets to "sign-off!" As I noted:
...You might also want to have a look at Dale Brown's Google Group list email I don't know what to call it thing "Classic-Rendezvous.". A lot of folks with deep and interesting history post there. His shop is in NC in the Triangle maybe?
Greensboro is one of the three points of the "Triad," or "Research Triangle."

Last edited by machinist42; 05-15-22 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I have my reasons.
Old 05-15-22, 06:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts

...I have a number of nicely restored Raleigh bicycles, 4 different year Professional, 3 Competition, and one International that I will be selling soon. Sadly, they are all too big for you.
From the perspective of an old guy sitting on a garage full of restored classics from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, I see the market exactly backwards from your vision of it.

I hope we both have some luck.
Old 05-15-22, 06:25 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
54cm

I have several for sale, 54cm. Ready to roll.
I will PM you.
Old 05-15-22, 06:39 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I don’t have one to sell but I had a 1978 Raleigh G.S. that was very fun: Short wheelbase not long in the front or back—a real race bike. The earlier Competitions were longer and less sporty. I had a Cross Check for a few years for racing CX and commuting. It was a fun all purpose ride which is why I chose it. Vintage CX bikes are rare.
On the local Vintage rides I lined up my G.S. with Raleigh Pros of the same size and to my eye the Geometry was identical. And Raleigh Pros will cost about 3 times as much for the same 531 race bike.
Old 05-15-22, 07:02 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 129 Posts
Look like you have some offers for bikes from some members around here, that's good to see! Generally to your questions, you stated you're looking for something geometry designed for "quickness" although don't mind something like a "speedy tourer" and you do some "light-off roading". With all those considerations, I'd look for a road racing bike from 60s or 70s that has clearance for wide(r) tires. The Raleigh Competition would be perfect if it's a year with more racing geometry as you indicated some years the angles were different. You can also explore other British club racing models from the 70's from some of the smaller builders. With your budget you could get something special. I'd also second the suggestion for the Raleigh road racing frames, the Prestige and all remaining line up from the mid-late 80's, although don't quote me on the years.

criterium road racing bikes from the 80's are probably going to have the quickest geometry of vintage bikes however they might too responsive for your needs. If you're doing longer rides but want to opt for speed over carrying capacity, I'd look for something with century road racing geometry, which will put you a little further back, behind the crankset, either from Eddy Merckx or similar continental companies. I believe there's a Gazelle in the Sales Forum that in that geometry. Similarly, a bike with triathlon geometry like the Iron Man would fit your needs. I know the trend if for bigger tires like 42mm's but for the type of riding you're describing, I'd be just as happy with 28mm's, even 25mm's if the frame is something interesting.

Overall, since you're new the vintage bikes, I'd buy something on the cheaper side until you find the geometry you like then trade it in for something more interesting, no use spending your whole budget on a bike you don't actually like.

Happy hunting.
Old 05-15-22, 08:02 PM
Kevin stafford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 10 Posts
I have an old mid level late '80s early '90s Miele of that size (which is too small for me to ride) and I picked it up for parts because it was well under $100, which at the time was the limit for the Clunker Challenge. It's not a Raleigh, but would make a great Entry! I may have something else..? I will have to have a look see.

I knew you were in Wilmington when you mentioned the inflated market. If it's inexpensive and interesting it is not available for very long here.

I've never associated with the Cape Fear riders as I won't join any group which would have me as a member. I know they have a FB page?

Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, Wilmington's Bicycle Infrastructure leaves much to be desired, so all their Group Rides involve driving to a location and then riding their bicycles, and I won't truck with that.

Longtime member of CR who rarely forgets to "sign-off!" As I noted: Greensboro is one of the three points of the "Triad," or "Research Triangle."
They are different areas, the “triad” is Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point, the “Triangle” is Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.
Old 05-15-22, 08:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Another vote for Columbus Schwinns! I have a 1989 Circuit I picked up last year that was complete except for the little black rubber nub that goes in the rear brake pivot bolt. I got a longer stem and seatpost and a bigger handlebar, but otherwise it's original:

That one set me back $450, but it had everything original!!
Another option would be a Centurion. I got this 1985 Ironman for $300, in ready to ride condition, though I did drop some coin recabling it and such:

While we're on Japanese bikes, there's also Lotus. These used high quality Tange steel, brazed by Tsunoda. Here's a 1982 Lotus Classique that had spent most of its life indoors. It was $175, though I did need to get a longer seapost and a saddle that wasn't a torture device.

So, really, you can probably leave most of the $1000 in the bank, if you know what you want, and look carefully. If you're not mechanically skilled, you might want to look for a bike that is already fixed up. Rebuilding old bikes is easy and fun, but it's not for everyone.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-15-22, 08:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
Puchs and Austro-Daimlers in a 21-in frame size built in the 70s usually have the 57-cm-ish top tubes of the vintage Raleighs mentioned in the original post. The 531 versions are lovely, 73-degrees parallel and silver-brazed in Graz, Austria. I think they’re underrated. The ones I am familiar with have gobs of tire clearance.

The foil decal era Gitanes are lovely, but good luck getting anything bigger than a 28 mm tire under the fork crown!

If you can live with an upper limit of 25 mm tires, keep your eyes peeled for a late 80s Specialized Sirrus - I bought my ‘88 for $50 and it equals anything I’ve ever ridden. Same frame as the Allez but softer paint and 105 components.

I keep dreaming I’ll find an 80s Specialized Sequoia in my size at a reasonable price …
Old 05-15-22, 09:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
Overall, since you're new the vintage bikes, I'd buy something on the cheaper side until you find the geometry you like then trade it in for something more interesting, no use spending your whole budget on a bike you don't actually like.
I think he meant to say, "Buy a second bike"

Originally Posted by genejockey
So, really, you can probably leave most of the $1000 in the bank, if you know what you want, and look carefully. .
You guys aren't doing a very good job of N+1 training LOL.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-16-22, 04:12 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 756 Posts
Troll FB Marketplace & Craigslist for vague listings of 'old bike/bicycle' or 'antique' etc. and/or misspelled brands. Seems like the only real 'deals' to be found now are from people trying to get rid of something quickly as they clean out a deceased relative's garage/basement and/or they don't know (or care) what they have. Be patient, search daily, and be ready to move quickly when the right thing comes up. It's yard and garage sale season, so you might get lucky there. In the meantime, do some research and come up with a list of specific models that may suit your needs (and get familiar with what you'll probably have to do with each to make it exactly what you want). I decided I wanted something vintage & steel and spend a few months looking before I picked up a PX-10 for $180 last year (and more recently a weird off-brand Vitus 971 EL framed French-built 'Valgan' for $10). TBH, I'm probably into the PX-10 now for at least $800 or so with the restomod/650B conversion, but it was fun to do and worth it to me as I absolutely love riding it. I'm hoping to keep the Valgan rehab under $500. And clearly I've been infected with the 'virus' now with a list of 'icons' from my youth that I'd like to have (Schwinn Paramount, A-D Vent Noir or Super Leicht, Raleigh Comp, Int'l or Pro, haven't zeroed in on a Japanese or Italian representative....), though I'll need to win the lottery first!
Old 05-16-22, 06:51 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Troll FB Marketplace & Craigslist for vague listings of 'old bike/bicycle' or 'antique' etc. and/or misspelled brands. Seems like the only real 'deals' to be found now are from people trying to get rid of something quickly as they clean out a deceased relative's garage/basement and/or they don't know (or care) what they have. Be patient, search daily, and be ready to move quickly when the right thing comes up.
This is my M.O.as well. CL doesn’t work well for me but Marketplace and OfferUp have been great!
Old 05-16-22, 08:37 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
In my de-valued area of the PNW, vintage road bikes are getting harder and harder to move. Very much a buyers market on anything not STI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.