Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive parts and tool list for dynamo + lighting install?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-25-21, 05:50 AM
ZippyDan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

• I'm currently in the US, but I will soon be traveling by bicycle in a developing country.
  • I'll buy the bicycle there, but I want to bring along as much of the parts, tools, and accessories as I'll need to outfit a local bike.
  • In the developing world, parts are either unavailable (you must wait for long and expensive shipping), overpriced, or available but of lower quality (Chinese knock offs).
  • I'd like to buy as much as possible in th US (that I can reasonably carry or ship) before heading out.
  • I already have:
    • dynamo (Shimano)
    • front light (SON)
    • rear light (Busch & Muller)
  • What else will I need or might I need to complete a full dynamo and lighting retrofit on a standard bicycle?
    • Parts? Probably these can be found locally, but will they be of reasonable price and/or quality?
      • Wheel spokes?
      • Wiring harnesses?
      • Connectors?
      • Shrink wrap?
      • Cable ties?
      • Nuts and bolts?
    • Tools? Any specialized tools I'll need to do the job?
    • Accessories?
    • Anything I'm forgetting? Perhaps I should also setup a provision for USB charging?
  • Maybe there is already a detailed parts and tools list that already lists all of this? (In googling, I couldn't find any great resource)
  • I would have preferred to get this done by a "professional", but I already reached out via phone, email, and Facebook to a dozen of the most popular bike shops in the foreign capital, and none of them did dynamo installs. Some didn't even know what a dynamo is. So I guess I'll have to do this myself.

Last edited by ZippyDan; 05-25-21 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 07:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have had to extend the wire on a B&M headlight because they didn't expect a user to put the light where I did. If you are using a dyno powered tail light, then the cable has to be long enough. I have used wire ties and also Gorilla repair tape to hold the wires on the bike.

Otherwise it really depends on the mounts and where you are going to place them. If you have some idea of what bike, that would be helpful. For example, most dyno headlights are meant to mount to the fork crown, and they work best there, but they might not come with a bolt that works on your fork.
Old 05-25-21, 10:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Patience.

Not as much as installing fenders, but it takes some.