Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Noob looking for a bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Noob looking for a bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 02:23 PM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Noob looking for a bike

Ok, so I'm generally new to biking and I have LOVED mountain biking. I was interested in looking into a beginning road bike without the level of commitment of spending a ton of money on a really nice one. I know that generally for MTBs a good intro one is about 1k (Like a Chisel or something). I was wondering what I should be looking for in an intro level road bike (I don't plan on competing in any races, pretty much just looking for something that will be fun, safe, and feel significantly faster than a mountain bike on the tarmac). Also maybe something that is capable of doing a little bit of gravel but idrk if I would need a specialized gravel bike for that). After a little bit of research of on super cheap bikes I found this. I'm sure that there is something extremely objectionable about this bike (or maybe there isn't idk, the shifters and tyres might be a pain) but can anyone tell me if there is any reason for me not to get this? Of course I'm planning on swapping the pedals to clipless and removing the reflectors and whatever but other than that I would probably ride whatever bike I get pretty stock.
Old 06-04-21, 03:34 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Either I missed your link or your link didn't take.
Old 06-04-21, 04:01 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
If you want new maybe one of these? https://www.statebicycle.com/collect...black-metallic
If you're ok going used maybe check the CL in your town.
Old 06-04-21, 10:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Domane AL 2 | Trek Bikes

This is an entry level road bike (by a reputable brand) which you can consider.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 06-06-21, 09:32 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
If you want something new that you can get soon, you'll likely be limited by availability as Covid drove demand for bikes, especially entry level ones. If you want new, talk to local shops and see what they can get in your size/price range. You can also look online at some of the larger retailers.

If you are ok with used, craigslist and facebook marketplace are good places to look. Maybe ebay as well but then you'll likely be adding shipping cost.