Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How to power the Garmin GPS 60CSx from bike battery?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-22, 07:16 PM
Nvreloader

Bikes: 2021 Wart Hog 750MD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

New owner of an E bike, it is a Wart Hog 750MD with dual batteries,
and up jumped a power connection problem, how to connect it?

I have the above GPS with external power plug 12v type and antenna,
that I want use on my Ebike.

If possible, how can I power this GPS from the bikes dual battery's,
this GPS uses a standard 12V cig plug, and my WH bike has a USB plug,
unknown power amount ?
This GPS also uses 2 Double AA batteries for hand held use,
but they don't last too long,
so I would like to power up from the bike power source etc.

I found this info for the antenna current draw spec's,

DC Voltage:3V, 5V, 3V to 5V
DC current:5mA ,10mA Max

Your thoughts and suggestions............

Tia,
Don
Old 01-21-22, 11:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Install a 12 volt power point somewhere on your bike and plug your handhelds power cable into it. Are you certain it's made to use with the power cable. Many older garmins that aren't Nuvi's go into charging mode only when powered by external sources.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC018-Ad...e%2C175&sr=1-1

You can probably get one as inexpensive or less at your local auto parts store. I just linked this one for my convenience.

I didn't quite understand if you said your bike is also 12 volts. So if it is, then this seems the easy thing.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-21-22 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-21-22, 11:57 AM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I use/have these items for my Garmin 60 gps,
the power cord is OEM that plugs into a standard 12v cig lighter plug, and powers the GPS.
The ext antenna which fits the Garmin 60CSx gps, and draws it's power from the GPS.

I need a way to use the OEM 12v plug and adapt it to my bikes battery power source, if possible.

My bike is NOT 12V, that I know of.

Tia,
Don
Old 01-21-22, 02:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

If your bike has a USB port built into it, I'd be pretty certain it provides the voltage and current that the USB standards state. I did look up your bike just now and it is a 48 volt battery. I didn't readily find out any info for the USB port that you said was on the bike.

If your bikes USB port is a type C fast charging port then I'd be a tad more leery of hooking your very old Garmin to it that was made before the advent of fast chargers. They can provide a varying amount of voltage from 3.5 to 20 volts in 20 mV increments which is beyond the extent of my electrical knowledge. If your USB port on the bike is anything other than a type C connection I'd just get a usb charging cable and hook it up to the GPS and see if it works or not.

I've got a Garmin GPSmap 76 csx that's probably older than your unit by a few years. I wouldn't hesitate to just try and see. However I also wouldn't hesitate to just go out and buy a proper GPS made for cycling like the Garmin Edge 1030 plus.
Old 01-21-22, 04:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,453 Times in 1,132 Posts
What do you use for a handlebar mount for the 60CSX?
Old 01-21-22, 08:09 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I would make/use a thin steel plate, the magnetic antenna will attach to,
this steel base plate is "U" bolted to the handle bars, and a I have a Ram mount/holder,
that fits the GPS and I can move back and forth between the ATV/Bike etc.

All I'll have to do is plug in the power cord and antenna, depending on which ride I am using etc.

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-22-22, 05:48 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Have you read your owner's manual? (I looked it up online.)
Old 01-22-22, 12:26 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

The 60CSX does not have a convenient mount available for it. That is why I asked how you were going to mount it. Sounds like you already had that figured out.

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Have you read your owner's manual? (I looked it up online.)
I was curious. I pulled the batteries out of my 60CSX, plugged in a USB cable to it and to my computer for power. It would not turn on. These Garmins are not supposed to be able to put any charge into the AA batteries, so it would have surprised me if it did work.

SEE MY CORRECTION IN POST 19, BELOW.

It takes a mini, not a micro USB cable. Use that cable to transfer routes, tracks, maps, etc., to a computer.

Some of the newer Garmins can operate with a USB cable, but they must have a NiMH battery pack in them to do so. The USB can recharge that battery pack while it is opearting. My Garmin 64 can operate that way, I recharge the batteries in it on bike tours with my dynohub and pass through cache battery pack.

The 60CSX pre-dates that rechargeable capability. I also have a Garmin 62S, that also pre-dates the ability to operate on a USB. I have to swap batteries in that to use it.

The Garmin 64 and a few other models use this battery pack, those models can operate while plugged into USB power.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rechar.../dp/B00B1QUF8O

But that battery pack will not allow a 60CSX to operate on USB power.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-24-22 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-22-22, 02:58 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Paul
It has been years, since I read the manual, I'll have to dig it out and review it.........
I bought it the first year Garmin came out with it, as it was one of the ones that took an Ext antenna, which I wanted as the tall timber often blocked the sats view etc.
Ball mounts did have a GPS holder and base mounts, as that is what I now use on the ATV.

I just checked mine and it will power up/work without the double AA's installed, using just the OEM 12v power plug. I normally carry a 6-pk of AA's when using this gps, as you know the battery life is very short, the 1 minus mark against it.

I have used this set up on my ATV, with the charge cable/cig plug and added a cig plug on my ATV, when the 60CSx GPS is mounted to the handle bar plate, the GPS runs fine, and doesn't use the twin AA batteries, so I have a back up when I use the gps off the ATV, ie geocaching/exploring etc.

What I don't know, (beyond my pay scale), is if I can have a USB plug installed on the OEM power bare wire cable, I have both type, with and without the OEM round plug.

IF a USB plug can be adapted to the bare wire power plug, then maybe I can use it to get power from the bikes battery?

Thanks,
Don
Old 01-22-22, 04:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

My last idea here is simply use a different 12v power source. You could either get a small gel cell and then charge that up at home, or a battery case that holds 8 to 10 AA NiMH batteries in series (10 is probably better than 8). And then charge up the AA at home. If you go the AA route, all of the AA batteries should be identical since the lowest capacity battery is in the box is the battery that will determine your battery lifespan.
Old 01-22-22, 05:01 PM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
The 60CSX does not have a convenient mount available for it. That is why I asked how you were going to mount it. Sounds like you already had that figured out.

I was curious. I pulled the batteries out of my 60CSX, plugged in a USB cable to it and to my computer for power. It would not turn on. These Garmins are not supposed to be able to put any charge into the AA batteries, so it would have surprised me if it did work.

It takes a mini, not a micro USB cable. Use that cable to transfer routes, tracks, maps, etc., to a computer.

Some of the newer Garmins can operate with a USB cable, but they must have a NiMH battery pack in them to do so. The USB can recharge that battery pack while it is opearting. My Garmin 64 can operate that way, I recharge the batteries in it on bike tours with my dynohub and pass through cache battery pack.

The 60CSX pre-dates that rechargeable capability. I also have a Garmin 62S, that also pre-dates the ability to operate on a USB. I have to swap batteries in that to use it.

The Garmin 64 and a few other models use this battery pack, those models can operate while plugged into USB power.
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rechar.../dp/B00B1QUF8O

But that battery pack will not allow a 60CSX to operate on USB power.
Powering the GPS and recharging the batteries are two different things. My Garmin 64 and every Garmin I've ever owned that has a USB port will run with USB power. This is true with or without batteries and regardless of battery type.

Ones like the 64 that are capable of charging batteries will only charge the Garmin battery pack. Or other NiMH batteries if you cheat the system.

If you try your 60CSx plugged into a wall charger or powerbank I think it will work. A lot of Garmins default to data transfer mode when plugged into a computer and will not operate while in this mode.
Old 01-23-22, 12:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Not certain what's keeping the OP from just connecting a cable to it and see what it does. If the USB port isn't complying with the voltage and other standards set forth for USB plugs, then they'd be leaving themselves open for litigation. Or they'd have a really big cautionary label stuck next to it.

So just find a cable with the correct connectors on both ends and see if the Garmin works or not, as desired.
Old 01-23-22, 06:25 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Not certain what's keeping the OP from just connecting a cable to it and see what it does. If the USB port isn't complying with the voltage and other standards set forth for USB plugs, then they'd be leaving themselves open for litigation. Or they'd have a really big cautionary label stuck next to it. So just find a cable with the correct connectors on both ends and see if the Garmin works or not, as desired.
I checked every type of USB cable/plug I have around here,
I have every type/kind, BUT, the Mini type plug, have ordered one, and will test when it gets here.
Sorry for the delay.........
Tia,
Don
Old 01-23-22, 06:38 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Guys
What is the NAME of the item or equipment, that will take DC 48V down to DC 12v 5a?
As you can tell, electronics is NOT my strong suit.....LOL,

I have a concern about the 48v DC bike battery and plugging my 12v DC 5a,
Garmin 60CSx GPS.
What would the best/safest way to do this?

Tia,
Don
Old 01-23-22, 06:55 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Nvreloader
I use/have these items for my Garmin 60 gps,
the power cord is OEM that plugs into a standard 12v cig lighter plug, and powers the GPS.
The ext antenna which fits the Garmin 60CSx gps, and draws it's power from the GPS.

I need a way to use the OEM 12v plug and adapt it to my bikes battery power source, if possible.

My bike is NOT 12V, that I know of.

Tia,
Don
The 60 needs 5 Volts minimum. It has its own internal voltage regulator. Do you have a meter to check the voltage available?

This what you need?

I have and old 76 I’ve not used in years.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-23-22 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-23-22, 07:27 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Check the Hi Lited right top corner of info on Post #7,
the top post = 26V DC appears to be the max Voltage that can be used,
the batteries on the Wart Hog are 48V DC.

Won't that extra voltage difference, let the magic smoke out of my 60csx GPS?

As I said before electronics is NOT my strong suit.....LOL Very confusing to me.

Tia,
Don
Old 01-23-22, 07:37 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
And to add some more info, and another problem, for my needs,

I have a pair of electric hand warmer pads that are 12v DC,
that I would like to attach on this E Bike, so the question is?

Are the handle bar grip area (diameters) of this Wart Hog E bike,
the same as a standard ATV handle bars ie, 7/8" to 1" diameter?

Tia,
Don
Old 01-24-22, 05:51 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Nvreloader
Check the Hi Lited right top corner of info on Post #7,
the top post = 26V DC appears to be the max Voltage that can be used,
the batteries on the Wart Hog are 48V DC.

Won't that extra voltage difference, let the magic smoke out of my 60csx GPS?

As I said before electronics is NOT my strong suit.....LOL Very confusing to me.

Tia,
Don
You’ll have to drop that down. May not have any easy connection. Any lights on it to barrow power. Also drawing off the battery will reduce your range. Best would be just get and Edge and battery powered heated gears.

Put on my Google Foo hat. Had to look up the motor. The ebike community is the place to go. Here is one. But you’ll have to do some wiring.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...volt-converter

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-24-22 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-24-22, 12:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by mibike
If you try your 60CSx plugged into a wall charger or powerbank I think it will work. ....
In a previous post I said I pulled my batteries out of my 60 CSX and it did not power on with USB power.

Then you posted the above.

I tried it again, I have no idea why it did not work before but this time my 60CSX did power up on the USB cable (mini) with no batteries in it.

It did not power up on plugging it in, but it did power up when I hit the power switch.

So, I stand corrected and apologize for being wrong.
Old 01-24-22, 02:23 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
T in M

No big problem, glad it worked for you.
I sure do like this 60csx, I have it set up, so when I go into a new area,
I can plot the trail/road (Idaho, old logging roads) on the base map,
gives me an Idea where I am at compared to the main access roads etc.

When I get all running correctly, hopefully I can compare the GPS info against,
the Wart Hog's computer's info etc.

I am looking to see if the WH controller has a USB port ?
I just wish that my bike would get here...................lol

Tia,
Don
Old 01-24-22, 03:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

I was using older Garmins from the black and white screen era, finally decided to upgrade and bought the 62S. And after that I learned that I could charge up my AA batteries with the Garmin 64. (I have to fool the 64 into thinking that I have the Garmin battery pack in it when I use it to charge individual NiMH batteries however.) So, I bought the 64 for bike touring so I can charge up my AA batteries in the GPS while I am using it. For that I use a dynohub and a pass through cache battery.

Then later I got a used 60CSX at a swap meet for cheap. It was so cheap I could not pass it up. I have used it for backpacking, it has a slightly better battery life than the 62S or 64 on AA batteries.

But I have to say, the 62S and 64 are a lot better than the 60 CSX. For example, I have lots of different maps on my micro SD card in it, I can select which maps I want to use for different purposes, etc. Today I was snowshoeing, brought my 62S, I turned off the cycling map and turned on a state topo map as my base map as that was a better map for my activity.
Old 01-24-22, 04:54 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
apparently 48v is common on boats. There are lots of 48v to 12v converters, but they might be too big for this. In general, you are looking for a DC-DC converter.
Old 01-24-22, 09:58 PM
Nvreloader

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks Guys
I just received an email from the Bikonit Inc, that makes the Wart Hog e Bike,
here is the main part of the email,

"The Bafang display has an integrated USB Charging Port.
The U
SB port supplies 5V of electricity with a maximum current of 0.5A. Inc."

Will this run the Garmin 60csx GPS........?

Tia,
Don
Old 01-25-22, 03:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

I think my 60CSX is well under a half watt for power consumption, your USB port would be 2.5 watts. That should be able to run it.

I have no idea if it will run on USB power or battery power if you have AA batteries in it while you have it plugged it into USB, but I would suggest you put AA batteries in it when you use it. If it loses USB power for just a split second and has no other power source, it will shut off and then as you know it takes a while to get fully up and running again. Maybe it will run on USB power but if there is a brief power loss, the AA batteries might keep it running instead of shutting down? Only one way to find out. It might drain the AA batteries or not, I have no clue.
Old 01-25-22, 10:50 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think my 60CSX is well under a half watt for power consumption, your USB port would be 2.5 watts. That should be able to run it.

I have no idea if it will run on USB power or battery power if you have AA batteries in it while you have it plugged it into USB, but I would suggest you put AA batteries in it when you use it. If it loses USB power for just a split second and has no other power source, it will shut off and then as you know it takes a while to get fully up and running again. Maybe it will run on USB power but if there is a brief power loss, the AA batteries might keep it running instead of shutting down? Only one way to find out. It might drain the AA batteries or not, I have no clue.
I agree with Tourist in MSN.

I can't find the power requirement but based on stated battery life it should be under a half watt.

It will run on USB power if supplied even with batteries in it. If running on Batteries and then USB power is supplied it will switch to USB power.

On loss of USB power it should switch to battery power for 30 seconds. During this time there should be a message on the screen asking if you want it to stay on with battery power. If you say yes or if USB power comes back during this time it will stay on. That is how the newer units work on loss of power and if my memory is correct that is also true for the 60CSx but it's been a long time so you should check this part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.