Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic and Vintage Ride up Mt. Diablo May 14th

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 12:08 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 92 Posts

Some local folks have put together a vintage ride for May 14th, up Mt. Diablo. Thought I'd post their flyer here in case anyone is interested. I'm sure some of the organizers will see this here, so if they'd like to post the questions contact email and number, they can (I didn't want to over-step).

Vintage Bike Ride

Classic Rendezvous Vintage Ride up Mt Diablo. Saturday May 14

We did this ride 4 years ago but up the South Side. This time we will ascend North Gate Road from the north side of the mountain. Starting point will be Arbolado Park in Walnut Creek, approximately ½ mile from the park entrance kiosk. There is plenty of safe parking and clean restrooms. The ride is approximately 12.5 miles each way with an average gradient of 5.5 to 6% with a 17% 100 yard wall to the summit to finish the climb.

This ride is for seasoned riders who can climb fairly well and in a straight line. There is traffic on the mountain so an early start time is important. Unfortunately, this ride is not a chance to test ones’ climbing skills. We will regroup at the Junction (2200’) and then proceed to the summit at 3849’ . Helmets required. Descending the mountain will be done in a controlled manner. Posted speed limit fluctuates between 10 and 25 mph and State Park Rangers frequently use radar for both cyclists and cars.

Arriving time should be by 8:30am and we will be on the road by 9am. Bring a light snack for the summit. As an option after the ride, we can meet at Rocco’s Italian Restaurant about a mile away - excellent and inexpensive Italian food.

Meet at:

Arbolado Park, Walnut Creek

3699 Arbolado Dr

Walnut Creek, Ca 94596

Directions : from Highways 680 or 24 take the Ygnacio Valley Rd exit and head east about four miles to right on Oak Grove. 3/4 mile to left at stop sign for Arbolado Drive. 3699 Arbolado Drive will be on the left. Use the second / upper parking lot to the park. Google Maps works great!
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 05-08-22, 09:55 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
JoeBass Joe, can you post the contact info for this ride, siince the organizers never chimed in?
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 05-08-22, 11:05 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I did that ride a few times on my Peter Mooney but, sadly, it was neither classic nor vintage at the time. Early '80s as a quite new bike. I lived in Alameda (the island) and did it as a day ride, out and back via Pinehurst. Twice camped illicitly on the mountain. (Very low impact. No fire, no litter, no disturbed vegetation.) Mid '80s rode it on my fix gear but walked that last 100 yards. That was on my drive across the country looking for work. Only previous ride was the 60 mile loop around Yellowstone. All the rest of my exercise was the isometric push of the gas, brake and clutch pedals. My lasting memory of that time up is of the hammering my crotch took coming down!

More recently I've done the big Mt Diablo. 500 miles to the north. Mt Ashland. Very similar terrain, climate, vegetation and road. Just a bunch higher. +A very strong case of deja vu. Some much so I felt I knew the corners well coming down and was never surprised.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-08-22, 06:50 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
JoeBass Joe, can you post the contact info for this ride, siince the organizers never chimed in?
Questions or RSVP to Ted Trambley at tedtrambley “at” gmail “dot” com or Bob Freitas at freitas1 “at” pacbell “dot” net

Last edited by JoeBass; 05-08-22 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-08-22, 08:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
In the mid-80's there was a Diablo ride to the ranger station that left around 5-ish from California Pedaler in Danville (shop closed recently, I believe.} I don't know when it started, but I' pretty sure it grew organically. It was parade pace until the north gate, you could hear everyone clicking their cyclometers to start their personal clock. You'd see the same person ahead of you every week, and think, this week, I beat him. Someone behind you was thinking the same thing with you as the bullseye. Because of daylight, it only ran durng daylight savings.

Anyone else remember this?