Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Different saddles

Old 05-06-22, 07:47 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Different saddles

I got to thinking about different saddles and I’m using a SMP drakon and it works for me. Every other saddle I try , just doesn’t fit. I can’t believe that’s the only one that I can make work. I think most riders use a conventional saddles and don’t have to pay a bunch of money for it. I guess that’s the way it is. I just have a hard time excepting that. Maybe once a year I try a different one, but I just can’t make it work. Am I only one of the few, this happens to? Thanks for any replies.
Old 05-06-22, 08:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Doesn't apply to my wife nor me. Guess we've been lucky in that the saddles we've tried worked for us without going thru a bunch. We are not long distance riders (usually under 30 miles) and we ride both road and off-road bikes. All of our saddles do have a cut out except my wife's mtn bike ('98 Kona Lava Dome) which has an ancient Advent with springs (don't know the model of saddle).

Last edited by freeranger; 05-06-22 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-06-22, 12:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Everybody is different, and some people have pickier rear ends. I also noticed for myself that I could ride a wide range of saddles as a teen, but am lucky to find a saddle I can last 40 miles on now in my 40's.
Old 05-06-22, 01:14 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
having bad pes planus & a bad lower back, it can take a few seats before the one is found. $200 to $350 is where the sweet spot tends to be unfortunately.
Old 05-06-22, 01:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
When she first started riding 14 years ago, my wife went through something like a dozen saddles to find one that worked for her. Recently her needs seemed to change and it took another dozen to find the right one.

Price seemed to have little correlation with what was comfortable for her.

I am lucky in that the WTB Volt which is common as dirt on many stock builds fits me great.
Old 05-06-22, 03:24 PM
George

Thanks for the replies everyone
Old 05-06-22, 03:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have certainly had some saddles that did not work for me. But I am fortunate that there are numerous brands that fit me just fine. Pro Turnix and Griffon, Selle Italia Novous, and I have one from the old Performance Bike company that is really comfortable, but it works better on a more upright geometry frameset. A key for is narrow and minimal padding with a shell that has decent flex. I actually have a $14 dollar made in China saddle that is quite comfortable, but I cannot use it when the temperatures get warm. It is like a rubber material and makes that area get hot spots and sweat too much.
Old 05-06-22, 07:17 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
The first seat that I tried that I liked was an ISM. I forget which model, but it had a good bit of padding. Then I tried a Cobb Randee. Better yet. I bought up all of the discounted models I could find. They should last me a lifetime. All four of my bikes have them now. We are all anatomically different, and a seat that works for one won't necessarily work for others.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-07-22, 02:17 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I've seen these posts about finding the right saddle, but can't really identify with them. I'm riding the saddles that came with my bikes (Specialized Diverge and Cervelo Caledonia) and they seem fine. I'd get another saddle if I thought it would be more comfortable, but I've had no issues with the ones I have. Most of my rides are 15-20 miles, but I've ridden centuries on both bikes with no issues. Do I just have a tough butt? One thing that might help me be comfortable in the saddle is that I ride every day.
Old 05-07-22, 02:32 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
The last stock saddle that I used for than a month or two was on a Myata I purchased in 1978. IIRC, it still had that saddle on it when I gave the bike to a friend in need. Sadly, a few weeks later he traded the bike for something that went up in smoke for a "friendly" woman he went to visit.
Old 05-07-22, 02:35 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I'd get another saddle if I thought it would be more comfortable, but I've had no issues with the ones I have. Most of my rides are 15-20 miles, but I've ridden centuries on both bikes with no issues. Do I just have a tough butt? One thing that might help me be comfortable in the saddle is that I ride every day.
If the stock saddle works for you, great -- but not everyone has the same dimensions, and not everyone is positioned so that their weight is distributed the same between saddle and handlebar. I don't think it's a matter of having a "tough butt " -- it's more about having a good-fitting, well-adjusted saddle and bike. Riding with a chamois can help, as can a careful adjustment of saddle fore/aft, height, and angle, as well as stem length and height. Millimeters matter!

I've been a Brooks guy for years and years now, but I wouldn't expect them to work for every butt and every bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-07-22, 02:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
George I like a SMP Dynamic myself, and while I also ride a variety of saddles pretty successfully, including standards like Fizik Aliante R3 and the more novel SQ Lab 611 Active, I’ve found the best luck with short nose models, specifically Fizik Tempo Argo R3, San Marco Shortfit Race, and Supacaz Ignite.

It may be that the SMP drop-nose element mimics the fit of short-nose saddles, I dunno, but my tolerance range is probably a little broader than yours, as I can do decent mileage on quite diverse saddle shapes. Or it may be I’m just willing to suffer discomfort waiting for my body to adapt to different saddles, because though I probably do the most mileage on the Aliante R3s, they’re definitely not that comfy in the early season, and only get comfy once I’ve started putting more saddle hours on my underside.
Old 05-07-22, 03:12 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6927 Post(s)
Liked 10,930 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I have fallen arches. Others can wear cheaper, conventional shoes, but I have to wear Birkenstocks. Somehow I've come to accept this grave injustice. You can do the same in regards to your saddle.
I tried Birks decades ago, and the rubber/plastic sole wore down (at the heel) to the cork footbed within a month. It was a drag, because I found them to be quite comfortable. Have they gotten any better in that regard?

George , if you have found the 'one' saddle that works well for you, think about stocking up. If the saddle is discontinued or changed (both have happened to me), you'll be glad to have a couple stashed in your parts bin.
Old 05-07-22, 03:18 PM
George

Thanks, I was thinking about ordering a Power Arc, but maybe I should just order another SMP Drakon. I was looking at the brown one and use matching bar tape. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-22, 03:42 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I got to thinking about different saddles and I’m using a SMP drakon and it works for me. Every other saddle I try , just doesn’t fit. I can’t believe that’s the only one that I can make work. I think most riders use a conventional saddles and don’t have to pay a bunch of money for it. I guess that’s the way it is. I just have a hard time excepting that. Maybe once a year I try a different one, but I just can’t make it work. Am I only one of the few, this happens to? Thanks for any replies.
WOW! $270 Dinars... And, yes I know there are saddles up and over $500. I guess I should be thankful I can ride quite a variety of models. Many of which are quite a reasonable price.
Start Point for me is minimum 140 width, the also a fairly flat-ish top (although thats not true for the Sella Italia Turbo). Well supported Sitz bones means very little pressure in other places.
Brooks actually fits me fine, once I get it broken in... But so many others fit great right out of the box. Never have rode a SMP, just no need.

Have you identified what it is about the SMP that makes the real difference ? It would be interesting to hear. The SMP has a fairly pronounced 'cradle', so the big channel and drop nose seems appropriate.
I also find, for me, saddle position is really important, since I ride with a fairly pronounced (compared to many others) torso forward lean. Nut the saddle also has to be level (not accounting for an raised rear, which I don;t like much).

My bugaboo is helmet fit. I have a really hard time getting a fit which doesn't give me headaches. When I find a good fit, I'll buy 2 or 3 right away. LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-07-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-07-22, 03:58 PM
George

Everybody is telling me that the SMP saddle fits and that's why its so comfortable. Ive tried different ones that I used before and they just don't get it. No idea why. I can ride the SMP for 3 hours without getting out of the saddle. I would like to try some different ones, but its really wearing me down, seriously. Anyhow thanks again everybody.
Old 05-07-22, 06:06 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Butts are like snowflakes
Old 05-07-22, 09:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,579 Times in 2,895 Posts
Have been through $1200 of saddles in the last year and a half trying to find the holy grail which will make my perineal area happy. You are far from alone. Thought I found it with a Terry since it was so incredibly comfortable, but the prostate definitely was not happy. Too bad. Thought I had found the one. Will put the Terry up for sale since someone will love it.

Old 05-08-22, 04:26 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I love Brooks Flyers and Cambium C-19 and sometimes C17(non-waterproof)
I also have a few professionals.
Old 05-08-22, 05:24 PM
George

Does the brook’s pro have longer rails?
Old 05-08-22, 09:32 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 2,992 Times in 1,849 Posts
I am very particular about saddles. Very few models are comfortable for me. You are not alone.
Old 05-08-22, 09:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by nel e nel
Butts are like snowflakes
+1 I say they are as different as faces. No, I haven't made a formal study but I have been observing what works for folk for most of 50 years. In my racing days, I did a long! ride with a clubmate; me on my Selle Italia leather over a plastic shell and him on his Brooks Pro. Sublime for each of us and a swap would have been pure h*** for both of us. I rode those seats, often with logos like Avocet and Peugeot on them 15 years until my body changed. Seats with cutouts and grooves worked but I didn't find the sweet spot until I tried a Terry Fly. They work for me like the Selle Italias used to.
Old 05-09-22, 07:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Everybody is telling me that the SMP saddle fits and that's why its so comfortable. Ive tried different ones that I used before and they just don't get it. No idea why. I can ride the SMP for 3 hours without getting out of the saddle. I would like to try some different ones, but its really wearing me down, seriously. Anyhow thanks again everybody.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13408603679...3ABFBM5MjbjpVg
Old 05-09-22, 10:32 AM
capzeyez

Bikes: 99 Univega Rover 308, 84 502 Raleigh Marathon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a decent spin cycle indoors, the seat was complete torture. My 99 Rover 308 had a springy seat, which I swapped for a newer stock Specialized seat for $10 from a used bucket at my LBS. It's an amazing upgrade for essentially nothing. My 84 Marathon has the stock seat, not the most comfy but not a huge deal, might snag another cheap used Specialized seat.

My butt isn't too picky I suppose.

EDIT: Just checked, it's a women's saddle. Quite nice and not a stock seat, but a Geometry Myth. Looks like I got a $120 saddle for $10.

Last edited by capzeyez; 05-10-22 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Followed-up on mystery seat
Old 05-09-22, 11:43 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by rsbob
Have been through $1200 of saddles in the last year and a half trying to find the holy grail which will make my perineal area happy. You are far from alone. Thought I found it with a Terry since it was so incredibly comfortable, but the prostate definitely was not happy. Too bad. Thought I had found the one. Will put the Terry up for sale since someone will love it.
At only $40 you stand to lose nothing. They are my saving grace.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13408603679...3ABFBM5MjbjpVg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.