Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using chainrings designed for triple, with a double

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-20-20, 09:33 AM
Richard1964

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having read an earlier thread here ( 410453-double-triple-outer-chainring-differences)
I have a similar question. Taking the advice in that thread I *think* I’d be OK with the following, but wanted to ask here for a consensus opinion.

i have a homemade bike (not mine) equipped with a worn 9speed Shimano Deore Double chainset (44/32j. I’m not 100% sure that is the original setup, it may have one time come from a triple, or been transplanted to this bike. Whatever, it works.

When I’m shopping for replacement rings, I find seemingly compatible rings (correct BCD=104mm, also 44/32 teeth, even also Deore (or Alivio) ) but they explicitly say “This Outer Chainring can only be used with Shimano Deore FC-M591 9spd Triple Chainsets with a 44-32-22T set up.“ I enquired why that constraint is given, and the retailer responded “"Because it's a specific offset fitting for use with the FC-M591 crankset. Hence it will not fit anything else other than this”

Can anyone offer their expert view on this. My own view is that I’m not changing the bottom bracket, the cranks or the 4arm spider mount. Assuming all 9speed chainrings are the same width, these should mount correctly on the existing BCD mountings, and therefore why wouldn’t these fit and work in practice.

FYI I’m in the UK. I’m too new to post URLs yet, but am considering Deore M530 or M510 rings. there are also cheaper Alivio ones in the same category which seem as though they’d work.

thanks in advance, Richard
Old 10-20-20, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard1964
Having read an earlier thread here ( 410453-double-triple-outer-chainring-differences)
I have a similar question. Taking the advice in that thread I *think* I’d be OK with the following, but wanted to ask here for a consensus opinion.

i have a homemade bike (not mine) equipped with a worn 9speed Shimano Deore Double chainset (44/32j. I’m not 100% sure that is the original setup, it may have one time come from a triple, or been transplanted to this bike. Whatever, it works.

When I’m shopping for replacement rings, I find seemingly compatible rings (correct BCD=104mm, also 44/32 teeth, even also Deore (or Alivio) ) but they explicitly say “This Outer Chainring can only be used with Shimano Deore FC-M591 9spd Triple Chainsets with a 44-32-22T set up.“ I enquired why that constraint is given, and the retailer responded “"Because it's a specific offset fitting for use with the FC-M591 crankset. Hence it will not fit anything else other than this”

Can anyone offer their expert view on this. My own view is that I’m not changing the bottom bracket, the cranks or the 4arm spider mount. Assuming all 9speed chainrings are the same width, these should mount correctly on the existing BCD mountings, and therefore why wouldn’t these fit and work in practice.

FYI I’m in the UK. I’m too new to post URLs yet, but am considering Deore M530 or M510 rings. there are also cheaper Alivio ones in the same category which seem as though they’d work.

thanks in advance, Richard
This is a big assumption. More to the point the face of the ring, that mates to the crank arm's tab face, dimension from the teeth's center plane can be different from brand or model to brand or model. This is one of the draw backs to an indexed front system. The, often, overlooked dimensional relationships can have an impact of shifting and chain rub. Andy
Old 10-21-20, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
If you mix and match parts then I'd say you are taking more of the assumption of risk on yourself for how well it performs, is safe and lasts. If you need to save that many pennies, I'm completely okay with it. Just consider if buying a complete crankset (chainset) and maybe even a new BB is out of the question for your budget.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-21-20, 11:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I mix and match rings all the time. Now, I do not run indexed shifting and I find different rings might mean slightly different feel to the shifts but they all work - that is if they are the correct width for the chain you are using. I might set the FR inside limit screw a little closer for a triple middle ring used as a double inner to prevent the chain falling off the ring as it attempts to shift to the inner ring that is not there. (A chain watcher could also be used to do the same thing.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-21-20, 01:50 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
This crankset (FC-M591) came in 2 versions; 22/32/44 tooth combination and 26/36/48 tooth combination. Shimano spent lots of time and money (marketing $?) designing chainrings to optimize front shifting, However, you can mix and match the chainrings but the shifting wont be as crisp as using the matching set. I do and my bike has not exploded and I have not died, but others would have you believe otherwise. If the BCD and number of arms are the same, then there is little risk that the ring wont fit just fine on the spider. And in my opinion (partially thru experience) the talk of ring thickness and offset being different within a single manufacturers lineup and same BCD/# of arms is insignificant (if it even is different to begin) and just to get you to buy parts you don't need,