Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is triple butted better than double butted?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-20-22, 03:32 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

I know that at times the lower modes receive an upgrade the following year as parts or materials change. I was looking at a 1988 SJ and a 1989 RH. I noticed the RH is triple butted while the SJ is double.

does triple butting make a frame with the same geometry as a double butted one innately better?
Old 07-20-22, 03:41 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
I know that at times the lower modes receive an upgrade the following year as parts or materials change. I was looking at a 1988 SJ and a 1989 RH. I noticed the RH is triple butted while the SJ is double.

does triple butting make a frame with the same geometry as a double butted one innately better?
SJ = Stumpjumper?
RH = Rockhopper?
Likes For tricky:
Old 07-20-22, 03:55 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
All else being equal, the bike made with triple- vs double-butted tubing will be lighter, and perhaps more compliant. Therein lies the rub though. All else is seldom equal. More importantly, could you tell the difference in a blind test? I very much doubt it. Next you'll be asking about Splined Triple-Butted Tubing.
Likes For davester:
Old 07-20-22, 03:55 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,046 Posts
I doubt it. I'll defer to the people who actually, you know, build frames for the final word.

But speaking from the unique position of never having brazed two pieces of metal together in my life, I am convinced that, once you get past a certain level of quality of steel, the builder's skill and the thickness of the tubes are more important than the name on the sticker or the number of butts. I'm a big boy, and the best riding bike I have was made in the mid-1960s with Columbus SP (thicker walls). To someone who is my height but lighter than I am might think it feels lifeless. By the same token, a thinner-walled tubed frame that feels great to them might feel a bit flexy to me. And this is not even getting into the differences in tube diameters . . . .
Old 07-20-22, 04:05 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
SJ = Stumpjumper?
RH = Rockhopper?
sorry. Yes.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 07-20-22, 04:15 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts

Is triple butted "better?" Are 12 cogs on your freewheel better than 11?
Maybe yes, but not significantly, IMO
Old 07-20-22, 04:37 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Is stepped butting better, or would it be better to have it conical?
Are internal splines (Miyata) better, or external fluting (Gilco)?
Do the tube ends need to be thicker (butted) for brazing into lugs and filet brazing only, or can tig-welded, air-hardened steels (631, 853) make butting less relevant?
Because tubing failure often begins at a stress riser, could honing and polishing the inside of the tubes reduce the required thickness?
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 07-20-22, 04:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
is triple butted better than double-butted?
Well, it's one more, isn't it?

​​​​​​
Old 07-20-22, 05:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Is triple butted "better?" Are 12 cogs on your freewheel better than 11?
Maybe yes, but not significantly, IMO
do not ask is 12 better than 11 of Majek today after the broken chain on the climb in the Tour yesterday.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-20-22, 05:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I doubt it. I'll defer to the people who actually, you know, build frames for the final word.

But speaking from the unique position of never having brazed two pieces of metal together in my life, I am convinced that, once you get past a certain level of quality of steel, the builder's skill and the thickness of the tubes are more important than the name on the sticker or the number of butts. I'm a big boy, and the best riding bike I have was made in the mid-1960s with Columbus SP (thicker walls). To someone who is my height but lighter than I am might think it feels lifeless. By the same token, a thinner-walled tubed frame that feels great to them might feel a bit flexy to me. And this is not even getting into the differences in tube diameters . . . .
short transition steps vs an elongated drawn change in wall thickness. At the limits there will be stress concentrations with abrupt steps, May you never find those limits.
Old 07-20-22, 05:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by repechage
do not ask is 12 better than 11 of Majek today after the broken chain on the climb in the Tour yesterday.
I stopped at 8.
Chains are cheaper that way.
Old 07-20-22, 06:00 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I'm attempting to ride every variation of tubing diameter, thickness, buttness, brazing material, lug type, and color (I've heard orange is the fastest, but that's just talk talk talk.. with no documented conclusive data to back it up). I feel confident, after exhausting all variables in the equation, tabulating it, and crunching the data... I will still not have the answer. If you have doubled butts... that's the best, and tripling your butts, even better. I think mostly though, C&V is about riding, learning, drinking, and lying; and the greatest of these is lying (trust me).
Likes For uncle uncle:
Old 07-20-22, 06:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
fwiw

I have a double butted 84 team miyata, best ride ever so far....with the right wheelset and tires mavic gel 330 and tubies

I also have an 85 team miyata with triple butted (but not splined triple butted) and with a similar wheelset (mavic reflex with vittoria corsa control tubies) and it rides almost as well, but not quite.

so just tubing is not going to make that big of a difference, once you are at at least middle level decent stuff

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-20-22, 06:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,808 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'm attempting to ride every variation of tubing diameter, thickness, buttness, brazing material, lug type, and color (I've heard orange is the fastest, but that's just talk talk talk.. with no documented conclusive data to back it up). I feel confident, after exhausting all variables in the equation, tabulating it, and crunching the data... I will still not have the answer. If you have doubled butts... that's the best, and tripling your butts, even better. I think mostly though, C&V is about riding, learning, drinking, and lying; and the greatest of these is lying (trust me).
no one lies hear, but there are lots of entertaining stories, that might have some level of embellishment over time.

Old 07-20-22, 06:39 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Maybe, like "clincher", the defintion of "triple butted" has changed with time. However, the above illustration does not represent the triple butted tubes employed by companies
such as Ishiwata, Fuji and Miyata, in the 1980s. Those triple butted tubes had only a single butt at each end, like a double butted tube, but unlike a double butted tube, the butts were a different thickness.

This was a slightly more sophisticated approach than double butting, allowing the designer more flexibility in achieving the desired frame characteristics. Traditonally, the thicker of the two ends was employed at the bottom bracket end of the down tube and seat tube, and the head tube end of the top tube. Depending on the actual gauges of the tubes selected, it could result in a stiffer frame and slightly heavier frame or a more compliant and slightly lighter frame. So, whether or not is better than double butted will depend on the gauges selected by the designer, your frame characteristics preference and how sensitive you are to the differences. Most cyclists can't feel the difference.

Attached is a page from an Ishiwata catalog showing their EX series of triple butted tubesets. Note how the construction is essentially a double butted tube but with each butt having a different thickness.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-20-22, 07:14 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 2,504 Times in 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
short transition steps vs an elongated drawn change in wall thickness. At the limits there will be stress concentrations with abrupt steps, May you never find those limits.
Amen. This applies as well to frames, components, tires, marriages . . . .

Last edited by bikingshearer; 07-21-22 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 07:21 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 929 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Well, it's one more, isn't it?

​​​​​​
Old 07-21-22, 09:32 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by T-Mar
Maybe, like "clincher", the defintion of "triple butted" has changed with time. However, the above illustration does not represent the triple butted tubes employed by companies
such as Ishiwata, Fuji and Miyata, in the 1980s. Those triple butted tubes had only a single butt at each end, like a double butted tube, but unlike a double butted tube, the butts were a different thickness.
Of course you're right, I didn't take the time to look at the picture I posted!

On the other hand...
From Kaisei:

Kaisei 019E CR-MO Quadruple Butted Tubing
Chromium Molybdenum (CRMO)
Top Tube: Outer Diam- 25.4mm / Length- 580mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.7mm
Down Tube: Outer Diam- 28.6mm / Length- 630mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.8mm
Seat Tube: Outer Diam- 28.6mm / Length- 610mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.7mm
Head Tube: Outer Diam- 31.8mm / Length- 180mm / Wall Thickness- 1.0mm-
Chain Stays: Outer Diam 1-22.2 mm / Outer Diam 2- 12mm / Length- 410mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm-
Seat Stays: Outer Diam 1- mm / Outer Diam 2- mm / Length- mm / Wall Thickness- mm-
Fork Blades: Outer Diam 1- 28/20mm / Outer Diam 2- 12mm / Length- 400mm / Wall Thickness- 0.95mm-
Fork Steerer: Outer Diam- 25.4mm / Length- 200mm / Wall Thickness- 2.2mm> 1.6mm

The three main tubes on this set are clearly stepped down more than once.
Old 07-21-22, 09:38 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 336 Posts
I confess, I've probably bragged about triple butted, just because it was on the decal.
I'm pretty sure I also answered, when asked if it was better, something like "well, they say it is."

Also, there is a slight hesitation when someone brings "butted" into the conversation.
To remind myself to think right.
Old 07-21-22, 09:58 AM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
There’s always something to learn here, I thought triple-butted dated back to the Triassic Period.
Old 07-21-22, 10:04 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Obviously my Fuji's quad-butted tubing is better.
Likes For shoota:
Old 07-21-22, 10:27 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

That's it, I'm on the search for undecuple-butted tubing...cause I wanna go to 11
Old 07-21-22, 12:34 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Of course you're right, I didn't take the time to look at the picture I posted!

On the other hand...
From Kaisei:

Kaisei 019E CR-MO Quadruple Butted Tubing
Chromium Molybdenum (CRMO)
Top Tube: Outer Diam- 25.4mm / Length- 580mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.7mm
Down Tube: Outer Diam- 28.6mm / Length- 630mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.8mm
Seat Tube: Outer Diam- 28.6mm / Length- 610mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm> 0.5mm> 0.4mm> 0.7mm
Head Tube: Outer Diam- 31.8mm / Length- 180mm / Wall Thickness- 1.0mm-
Chain Stays: Outer Diam 1-22.2 mm / Outer Diam 2- 12mm / Length- 410mm / Wall Thickness- 0.8mm-
Seat Stays: Outer Diam 1- mm / Outer Diam 2- mm / Length- mm / Wall Thickness- mm-
Fork Blades: Outer Diam 1- 28/20mm / Outer Diam 2- 12mm / Length- 400mm / Wall Thickness- 0.95mm-
Fork Steerer: Outer Diam- 25.4mm / Length- 200mm / Wall Thickness- 2.2mm> 1.6mm

The three main tubes on this set are clearly stepped down more than once.
Kaisei was the name of the company that rose out of the nankruptcy of Ishiwata. It was owned by a former Ishiwata director and operated out of the former Ishiwata factory, using the Ishiwata tooling. They also acquired all the tubeset names used by Ishiwata. Essentially, they are Ishiwata tubesets by another name.

However, the fourth butt is not a butt in the traditonal sense. Basically, it's a triple butted tube with a mid-section that has long gradual taper(s) to the thinnest section of the tube. So, in that sense there is no additional step down, it's more of a ramp. See attached illustration from a Kaisei catalog. Note that this is the same illustration previously used by Ishiwata. In these illustrations, T1 is the thickest section, followed by T4, then T2 and T3, in order of decreasing thickness.
Old 07-21-22, 02:29 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
^^^ This is what I thought, probably because I've been reading Miyata catalogs. Single butt at each end but w/ different thicknesses. Is it better? I don't know.
Old 07-21-22, 02:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
IIRC, "triple butting" only applied to the head tube end of the down tube, to put a little more "meat" on the tube where the shift lever bosses would be brazed.

Tange "Infinity" tubing used a long, gradual taper instead of the fairly abrupt tapers on traditional butted tubes.

And then there's this:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qglec
Likes For JohnDThompson:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.