Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would, or how would you deal with this shop?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-14-22, 12:32 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

It seems like most shops around me can't help with vintage stuff anymore. Many don't even have any road bikes! I do have one LBS that's been around since the 80's, packed to the ceiling with new & old high end bikes, Campy, etc. If you need advice or and old part, he has it.

The thing is, I can't trust his pricing, and some of his "knowledge" beyond actual wrenching is suspect.
I don't want to be that guy, that wastes a shop owner's time, picks their brain, then buys online. But I don't want to pay hundreds or even thousands more for something than is fair. For example, I was quoted $800 for a wheelset that is now a few years old, and readily available for $450. A bike I tried, and liked, he told me was $4K, but it's on their website at only $3000- and the Centaur group on it "competed against Ultegra".

Would you take your business elsewhere, if you could, or just "trust but verify" before you spend any money?
Old 09-14-22, 12:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
"Trust, but verify" would be my approach, if I'd been happily doing business before. Granted, if verification yielded those kind of issues, my trust would evaporate pretty quickly.

Old 09-14-22, 01:07 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Nothing wrong with Trust but Verify.

We used to have folks come in and haggle with us on the prices from everything from full bikes to parts. We used to wonder if these same people went into the grocery store and haggled over the price of lettuce, or went into Sears and haggled over the price of Craftsman tools. It was a rhetorical question. It sucked then being a bike retailer, other then being able to get amazing stuff at cost.

Today, I have no problem buying whatever I need from the Internet. My LBS is a Giant dealership, and really stocks nothing I need. I wouldn't trust them to work on my bike for even basic stuff, although I'm sure they're more than competent with the newer shi...stuff. But prior to that, we had a top-end independent bike shop with exceedingly knowledgeable staff and an owner who raced in the 1980s who knew about vintage bikes and repair. They closed the brick-and-mortar shop, but the owner still carries on the repair side of things out of his garage. Whenever I need anything done that I can't do myself, I still take it to him. I'll check with him on occasion to see if he has a vintage part in stock, and if not, I head to the internet.

But I think I may not be the best data point--my bike is classic C&V, and just about everything I want isn't available in any shop. So in my case, the internet is pretty much my only option.

Last edited by smd4; 09-14-22 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-14-22, 01:19 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
There is a reason all that vintage Campagnolo is hanging around
Old 09-14-22, 01:22 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Because people prefer Shimano?
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-14-22, 01:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
Originally Posted by vinfix
It seems like most shops around me can't help with vintage stuff anymore.
And it's so difficult to work on! How am I supposed to know how to thread a nut on a bolt without someone instructing me?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-14-22, 01:46 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Originally Posted by repechage
There is a reason all that vintage Campagnolo is hanging around
t's all new, or nearly NOS. Barely any Shimano- says he can't get it. And SRAM is crap.
But that's part of my dilemma- I'd like to try modern-ish Campy and this shop is the only game in town.
Old 09-14-22, 01:49 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
And it's so difficult to work on! How am I supposed to know how to thread a nut on a bolt without someone instructing me?
I mean parts more than wrenching. But there are some tasks that are beyond me, or require specialized tools.
Old 09-14-22, 02:06 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4508 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by vinfix
t's all new, or nearly NOS. Barely any Shimano- says he can't get it. And SRAM is crap.
But that's part of my dilemma- I'd like to try modern-ish Campy and this shop is the only game in town.
If he's high, he knows he's high. I wouldn't worry about being "that guy", he's already "that guy".

That being said, maybe try and have a heart to heart with him, see if he will explain his position and try to explain yours, his window for getting rich on this stuff is closing although he doesn't see it that way. Maybe he's planning on retiring and spend his life on efbay going round and round there.
Old 09-14-22, 03:41 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked 1,799 Times in 654 Posts
Sigh.
As a guy who owned a wine bar/shop, I see both sides.

Imagine some dudes coming in and seeing I have Opus One at $200 a bottle (that's perfectly cellared, sitting in my rented space, on beautiful Saarinen chairs, being served in Riedel Glasses with a free bowl of warmed hazelnuts) and one of them pulls out his wine-searcher app and states, "I can get that same bottle shipped to me for $150."

I always want to say, "GTFO" but I can't/don't. I want to say, "well then high tail it to Maryland and drink your Opus One there." While valid, can't do that either.

On the flip side, I was in a highly regarded Central California Coast shop that had a Merino Wool vintage style jersey for $199. Having been on the jersey manufacture's website, I know where that $199 came from, because it costs retail $199 [BUT IN NEW ZEALAND DOLLARS]. ($150 USD)

Assuming the proprietor isn't buying at retail to sell at retail, and I really like the guy and his place, I didn't show the website, I said nothing but "here, take my money, cool shop."

On the other hand, recently I went into a Portland shop that had a glass case for small goods. There were several pair of NOS Campy NR gummy hoods with the world logo. I see the re-pops all day at $25. I see NOS on line at $80-100. Since everything else seemed to have a visible price tag except those, I inquired about the price, ready to buy a couple, support the local economy and a local bike shop.

"If I sell you those, I won't have them."

Next attempt, some Vittoria sew-ups, seen in many shops for $39-45.

He said, "I removed the prices because they were going up in price and the price fluctuates daily, you know, supply chain and all."

"So, what is today's price then," I inquired.

That's when he said $59.

It's rare that I leave a shop empty handed. I always buy something I need, some grease or lube, a tire or glue, a park tool I don't have.

I decided he was not in the business to be a rational shop.

I left empty handed and thought about the retail experience. How a "hi there, welcome in, what can I do for you" still does wonders for me.

I am willing to spend more to support my local shops, but there is also a line, when buying on-line, as impersonable as it might be, sometimes is the right call.

Last edited by Robvolz; 09-14-22 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 09-14-22, 04:26 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I think a shop can ask what they feel a certain item is worth. You have the option to , pay the asking price, ask if the price is firm or negotiable, or just say no . I had an experience where a shop had some nice vintage Campagnolo parts…no prices. I asked for a price on an item and I had to restrain myself from choking when he told me. I politely said no thank you. At his asking price I knew we were not going to go any further. There are other places to go to get what I need. I bought the same item on eBay for about one fifth the asking price in the shop. That’s how it goes with vintage parts anyway. With regular stuff like cables and tires I don’t mind paying a bit more to support my local bike shop IF they have what I need , and that is getting harder. I would not leverage the internet price against a shop , that is unreasonable IMHO.
Old 09-14-22, 04:57 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
OP, how would you feel if you'd bought a bike from the shop, it came to need some work, and they told you they couldn't get to it for a few weeks or a month? That's the choice they're making: to provide responsible and fast service to their actual present customers.

Many shops in my business do the same. Traditionally repair work doesn't really pay the bills; it's support for retail sales, present and past. If being a repairman were such a great deal and a moneymaker, there would be independent repair shops around to catch that business for you to go to, but I don't see them. I'm needing some routine work on my bike and have been looking around on the internet to see what it would cost. The prices I'm finding wouldn't induce *me* to go into the field!
I suspect most on this forum are rather hardcore and savvy. One's gotta figure a shop shoots from the hip, plenty, to occasionally find a customer willing to open up their pocketbook. In my opinion, the shop probably finds it difficult to keep up with market prices of their vintage stuff. A place that also sells online would possess a much better grasp at current values. We always hope the shop goofs and underprices!
Old 09-14-22, 06:49 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Sorry.... I deleted that post before I saw the response. It was actually intended to be in another thread! I'm not defending the original situation!
Old 09-14-22, 08:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Sadly, bike shops have become obsolete to those who know which end of the spanner to grab. I've got Universal Cycles in my backyard if I really need something today. Otherwise I just text @Andy_K or @nlerner and raid their parts bins. I try to reciprocate.

I love the vibe of an old school bike shop. Since those are are becoming rare, I replicated one in the Atelier.

my happy place
Old 09-14-22, 08:18 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
There must be a youtube for that, keep looking....
Likes For branko_76:
Old 09-14-22, 08:27 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

"If I sell you those, I won't have them."
I often feel this way when I sell a bike. I only feel good about a sale when the buyer seems to really appreciate what he is getting and is willing to pay a little more for a bike that has been meticulously overhaulled.
Likes For branko_76: