Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy a new bicycle

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-09-22, 04:14 AM
Al_Qaisy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found a local store selling a used bridgestone bicycle for $240...its 700c, belt driven with 8 speed internal gear.. is it a good deal?
Old 08-09-22, 07:24 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
Depends. Will it require servicing- replacing consumable parts? Does it fit you? Does the 8-speed gearing fit your need? Could you afford to replace the 8 speed if necessary? If you can't work on it, servicing can get expensive quick on any older bike.
Old 08-09-22, 07:26 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you know more information like the model and the year it was made, you can go to bicyclebluebook and look up the MSRP. $240 is about half of the cost of an entry level bike these days with entry level components not including internal drives. It's pretty easy to date a bike if it has Shimano crank arms. Look at the inside of the crank for a two letter code and then go to the internet and look up "Shimano date codes" to find a chart. That will tell you within a few months of the date it was manufactured. More important is does the bike fit? If it is one that comes in only one frame size I would never consider buying it. Will the shop let you test ride it?
Older Bridgestone bikes were numbered https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/ RB-1 to RB-3 with RB-1 the most desirable. I bought an RB-2 for $20 at a garage sale a few years ago and passed it on to a friend's son. It did not have internal gearing. Looks like yours may be a more recent Chinese made version. This might give you an approximate date:
"The Company introduced a hit product “Albelt,” featuring a combination of an aluminum frame with a belt drive mechanism.
The Company developed the world’s first air pressure checker, allowing users to visually determine the optimum air pressure."
dates from 2001
Old 08-09-22, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Is the bike made for the type of riding you wish to do?

Did Bridgestone actually make that bike with the 8 speed IGH and belt drive? I'm thinking it's something someone cobbled together. I'd be leery that they got rid because it didn't work well for them.

If it is an actual bike made by Bridgestone and not modified by someone unknown, then go back to my first question.
Old 08-09-22, 08:57 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is the bike made for the type of riding you wish to do?

Did Bridgestone actually make that bike with the 8 speed IGH and belt drive? I'm thinking it's something someone cobbled together. I'd be leery that they got rid because it didn't work well for them.

If it is an actual bike made by Bridgestone and not modified by someone unknown, then go back to my first question.
I questioned the belt drive too. I thought that system was fairly new but I'm no expert of cycle history.

I've bought about 12 bikes off marketplace and in local thrift stores, bike stores and pawn shops.. I would say that the Bridgestone in question may not be a bad deal but it wouldn't be one I would recommend to someone not completely qualified to evaluate the bike's condition. If it was $50-$100 you likely couldn't go wrong as long as you could get on it and ride it at the time of purchase. It really doesn't take much in tools and research on youtube to learn how to do bike repairs on older bikes. I bought a Trek 400 steel lugged frame with Deore group for $15 at a thrift shop. It fits 700-C 35mm tires and is an excellent cross bike that would cost $1000 to replace if bought new. I rebuilt it though myself for nearly nothing. It wouldn't have been such a screaming deal though for a guy's first bike.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 08-09-22, 10:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

And if the OP just wants a bike to ride around the neighborhood or back and forth in the city, then for less than twice that asking price of what is supposedly a used bike with dubious DIY put into it, they can get a new bike with warranty and new and more common components. And a derailleur bike is likely to have wider range of gearing than a IGH. Though maybe there are more exceptions today.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...r-lux/c/EB610/

They also have models with IGH, but those are a bit more money.
Old 08-09-22, 11:14 AM
RH Clark

And if the OP just wants a bike to ride around the neighborhood or back and forth in the city, then for less than twice that asking price of what is supposedly a used bike with dubious DIY put into it, they can get a new bike with warranty and new and more common components. And a derailleur bike is likely to have wider range of gearing than a IGH. Though maybe there are more exceptions today.

https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_...r-lux/c/EB610/

They also have models with IGH, but those are a bit more money.
A bit heavy and slow for my style. I would go for one of these though.
https://www.poseidonbike.com/collect...43244694012132

There would also be plenty of newer slightly used bikes in the $300-$500 range. I have bought very nice $100 bikes on Marketplace but you do need to know how to properly evaluate your purchase.
Old 08-09-22, 11:29 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Any 8s IGH bike is a good deal at $240. Same with belt drives.
Old 08-09-22, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by RH Clark
A bit heavy and slow for my style.
That's really the biggest issue with any person asking for advice on a bike purchase. We don't know what style of riding the OP wants to do and whether they'll be in flat, hilly or mountainous terrain. Or if it's just short leisurely rides around the neighborhood.

One bike is as good as the next bike. Until a purpose is defined and the fitness and experience of the OP is accounted for, then bikes become either better or worse for the intended use.
Old 08-09-22, 12:19 PM
RH Clark

That's really the biggest issue with any person asking for advice on a bike purchase. We don't know what style of riding the OP wants to do and whether they'll be in flat, hilly or mountainous terrain. Or if it's just short leisurely rides around the neighborhood.

One bike is as good as the next bike. Until a purpose is defined and the fitness and experience of the OP is accounted for, then bikes become either better or worse for the intended use.
Good point. When I started cycling I only bought cheap $100-$200 used bikes until I had enough experience to know exactly what I wanted and why I needed those particular features. The used market has been more limited and expensive though the last 3 years or so. It would always be a good idea to ride as many different bikes as possible first if you are new to cycling and looking at your first purchase.
Old 08-09-22, 12:45 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
I would buy that in a second. I am a IGH fan in my old age (70). The shimano 8 speed has plenty of range for my area. The belt would be something worth trying. Maybe if you had put a location that I recognized in your profile (IQ?) I would be right there
Old 08-09-22, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Who knows without knowing the bike and knowing you and all of that it is tough to tell. It is possible because yes an 8 speed with a gates belt drive could well be worth it as generally that stuff is worth good money but in the end what condition is the bike in and does it fit and yada yada yada is more important.