Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Question from a newbie!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Question from a newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-22, 02:13 PM
sbuckaroo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Question from a newbie!

Hey folks,

I am considering a used bianchi pista fixie (asking price $500). The advert says "true fixie, no brakes, no backpedaling". I don't know how one would brake of no backpedaling is allowed! Also, how difficult it would be to install a freewheel in case I want to convert it to single speed? Finally, any thoughts on the brand? Thanks!
Old 09-03-22, 03:30 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Please post more information on the specific model Bianchi Pista you are considering, Bianchi made many models from very cheap to very expensive, so it's not possible to say whether or not it's a good deal. Can you post a link to the Ad or pictures ? As to "no backpedaling", the seller probably means you can't turn the pedals backwards on this bike or stop pedaling, because it's a fixed gear. Installing a freewheel is very easy, just remove the lockring and fixed cog, then screw on the freewheel. If you are going to ride on the street, then you want at least a front brake, and if you install a freewheel, then you must also have a rear brake. You can ride "brakeless", and many forum members do, but the first time you have to stop fast, you may end up getting hurt. This is the opinion of someone who's been riding fixed on the street for 46 years.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-03-22, 03:38 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for your response. Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...er_banner&_rdr

This would be my first ever songle/fixie (at my ripe old age of 58!) although I picked up biking as of late and have a geared bike. But I am intrigued by the simplicity of the single speed.

I am also looking at a few others like IRO, Fuji feather, and both selling for $500, raleigh grand prix for $300, and a Puch Daimler selling for $350. very confusing.

I am only looklng for steel bikes. I have a steel Kona and recently bought a geared schwinn Paramount spd that I loved. The clean lines of the steel frame with think Jon sloping tubes is such a beautiful thing!

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-03-22, 04:26 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

OK, it sounds like you really want a single speed, so you will need to replace the fixed cog with a single freewheel, and add front and rear brakes. That Bianchi you are considering was a cheap model that sold for $500 new, and is not worth $500 today, even with the Chris King headset. Also, that stem is crazy long for use with bullhorns, so unless you have a very long torso and arms it will probably not fit you. The Fuji Feather is not worth $500 either, but the Puch and Raleigh might be good deals. IRO was a good frame, so it might be worth $500 if it's in good condition. Again, pictures would help.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 09-03-22, 05:16 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This is really appreciated. I forgot to mention that I am 5'8".

Here is the IRO (it is actually listed for $500 so I mistyped earlier)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3362035077342981/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner&_rdr

The Raleigh:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...er_banner&_rdr

And the puchhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/20401723796...&segname=11051

Thx.

Last edited by sbuckaroo; 09-03-22 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 06:51 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

The IRO is the best choice if you can haggle a bit on the price. I'd offer $400 for it. It is already set up with a freewheel and brakes, has decent components all around with sealed bearings and even has cable housing stops on the top tube for the rear brake cable housing. It also looks really clean. The Raleigh is a conversion of an old road bike, looks a little beat up and the wheels look like they have steel rims and crappy hubs, so I'd pass on it. The Puch is a nice road bike conversion with a really high quality White Industries ENO freewheel, but unfortunately it has tubular rims and tires, which is a deal breaker.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-03-22 at 07:39 PM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 09-03-22, 07:34 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to review the list and advise me. Really appreciated. I will come back with how things went. Cheers.
Old 09-03-22, 08:04 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Iro fo sho

I concur with TejanoTrackie that the iro is the better choice. I have one, and rode it today. It's my fixed gear that gets the most miles out of my collection. Well constructed, nice geometry, can fit 32mm tires. Solid all rounders.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-03-22, 08:37 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks! What a nice group. appreciate your support.
Old 09-03-22, 09:03 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I forgot to ask, what are tubular rims and tires and what are their problems?.if I end up getting that bike, can I replace those with other ones? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The IRO is the best choice if you can haggle a bit on the price. I'd offer $400 for it. It is already set up with a freewheel and brakes, has decent components all around with sealed bearings and even has cable housing stops on the top tube for the rear brake cable housing. It also looks really clean. The Raleigh is a conversion of an old road bike, looks a little beat up and the wheels look like they have steel rims and crappy hubs, so I'd pass on it. The Puch is a nice road bike conversion with a really high quality White Industries ENO freewheel, but unfortunately it has tubular rims and tires, which is a deal breaker.
Old 09-03-22, 09:15 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by sbuckaroo
I forgot to ask, what are tubular rims and tires and what are their problems? if I end up getting that bike, can I replace those with other ones? Thanks in advance.
Tubular rims are designed to be used with tubular tires, which are glued onto the rim. Mounting them is a real PITA and if you get a flat on the road, you will have to carry a spare tire to change tires, since you won't be able to repair it. They are used almost exclusively by racers, because they can be inflated to very high pressures to provide low rolling resistance and are very lightweight. If you want to replace them with conventional clincher rims and tires, you would need to buy a whole new set of wheels, tubes and tires, which is going to cost you at least $200 more.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 09-03-22, 09:22 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I see. OK then I would have to count this cost and as such the Puch will end up at the same total price as the IRO. Cheers.

Tubular rims are designed to be used with tubular tires, which are glued onto the rim. Mounting them is a real PITA and if you get a flat on the road, you will have to carry a spare tire to change tires, since you won't be able to repair it. They are used almost exclusively by racers, because they can be inflated to very high pressures to provide low rolling resistance and are very lightweight. If you want to replace them with conventional clincher rims and tires, you would need to buy a whole new set of wheels, tubes and tires, which is going to cost you at least $200 more.
Old 09-03-22, 09:32 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by sbuckaroo
I see. OK then I would have to count this cost and as such the Puch will end up at the same total price as the IRO. Cheers.
Actually, the Puch will cost more, because there is also a shipping charge.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 09-03-22, 09:37 PM
sbuckaroo

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Indeed. I will have to see whether I can make an offer a bit less than the asking price to take this into account.

Actually, the Puch will cost more, because there is also a shipping charge.
Old 09-05-22, 10:19 PM
TurboTrueno

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
That Bianchi is a sweet looking frame
Old 09-07-22, 01:02 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Those bikes are all a little on the pricey side but of the choices available I would also go for the IRO.