Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycle tracking apps

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle tracking apps

Old 05-22-22, 02:36 AM
lorr1e1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cycle tracking apps

Hi I used to use cyctastic a (runtastic) app 10 years ago, they the sold it to another company where they changed the whole app to something different.

I don't know if anyone here used this app or something similar but I'm looking for a good alternative, any recommendations? Iphone or android thanks

Last edited by lorr1e1; 05-25-22 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-22-22, 03:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
I will say Strava is the default cycling app. I use it. The free version works just fine.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-22-22, 05:44 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by lorr1e1
Hi I used to use cyctastic a (runtastic) app 10 years ago, they the sold it to another company where they changed the whole app to something different.

I don't know if anyone here used this app or something similar hut looking for a good alternative, any recommendations? Iphone or android thanks
Maybe if you stated what it was you wanted in the app that would help people offer advice.
Old 05-22-22, 05:59 AM
lorr1e1

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Maybe if you stated what it was you wanted in the app that would help people offer advice.
The clue is the title of my post, not sure what else I need to state!

To the previous poster, I think I've used strava before there was some reason I didn't like it back them not sure what it was though .
Old 05-22-22, 06:11 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts

To the previous poster, I think I've used strava before there was some reason I didn't like it back them not sure what it was though .
sigh
when there is little response the clue is the post...
Old 05-22-22, 07:12 AM
lorr1e1

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cycle tracking app

Not sure what is you expect me to say I'm looking for apps for my phone.
Old 05-22-22, 07:16 AM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Geo Tracker is really nice for my Android. It isn't cycling specific, but gives great data in the end, and doesn't have all the bloat and social stuff. And you don't need to sign up And you can share the data and a map of your route on social media of your choice.

https://geotracker-gps-tracker.en.softonic.com/android
Old 05-22-22, 07:23 AM
lorr1e1

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridinglurker
Geo Tracker is really nice for my Android. It isn't cycling specific, but gives great data in the end, and doesn't have all the bloat and social stuff. And you don't need to sign up And you can share the data and a map of your route on social media of your choice.

https://geotracker-gps-tracker.en.softonic.com/android
Thanks ill take a look at that.
Old 05-22-22, 08:05 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 331 Posts
I've used Komoot and Strava.
I don't do PBs or compare with others so Komoot (on Android) works fine for me - route planning, voice directions, route recording (all offline).
It charges by the map but you get one zone for free, which is inside London M25 for me - possibly all I'll ever need.
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 05-22-22, 08:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
I used Orux maps for a while. Mainly for times I went walking since I already had a Garmin Edge 500 for when I went cycling. Orux maps at that time was a pretty full featured program. But the fact it was so full featured made it a little complicated.

I've since found that for very simple stuff, the Specialized Ride App works well for both cycling, walking and anytime I just want to track where I've been. RWGPS has an app too. But as I said I already use a Garmin Edge device which does more for me and doesn't use my phones battery up as some phone apps with maps do.
Old 05-22-22, 09:36 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
A few months ago I downloaded "Supercycle".
Old 05-25-22, 01:55 PM
greasemonkey

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Strava free user here. Also like to use RideWithGPS
Old 05-25-22, 02:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
What kind of phone - apple, samsung, generic android?? Do you want: Speed? Distance? Heart rate? Heart rate variability? Laps? Calories? Power? Maps - if so: US, Europe, Shetland, generic maps like Open Street Map or are proprietary OK? Priced, free, or free with ads?

And 'cycle tracking' in the smart tech world often refers to tracking menstrual cycles. Is that one of your requirements? With an ID of lorr1e1, your gender is not obvious.
Old 05-25-22, 02:54 PM
lmk5

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I don't know if anyone here used this app or something similar but I'm looking for a good alternative, any recommendations? Iphone or android thanks
I use Bike.App. I found it almost by accident and it's very easy to use and does all I need it to do. By contrast I find Strava to be too complex.
Old 05-25-22, 03:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons

what is it you are looking for specifically? i read the post title and my first thought was you just want to track your multitude of cycles. but if you want to track your cycling performance that might be different.

i use CycleMeter. there is a free version that records distance, speed, duration, and position/elevation. i use the paid version which removes ads and adds sensor support like cadence and power. bunch of other stuff i don't use like tracking how many units of shoes i've used.
Old 05-25-22, 09:40 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Check out “Ride with GPS”, it’s free and I’m amazed By the details it has of the off road trails I ride on, but it’s got street maps in the US and all over the world.
Likes For A350driver:
Old 05-26-22, 06:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Another Komoot user. I use it because of its real-time speed display. I did pay for the lifetime something or other which allows me unlimited offline maps. The free version is just fine as a tracker. Works well with the varieties of Android phones I've had over the years.

The problem people are having figuring out what you're looking for is that you're being very vague about the features you're missing and the ones you don't want. There's lots of apps, so being a little more specific about the features you're looking for might narrow down the range of recommendations to actually useful ones for you.
Old 05-26-22, 09:38 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Another Komoot user. I use it because of its real-time speed display. I did pay for the lifetime something or other which allows me unlimited offline maps. The free version is just fine as a tracker. Works well with the varieties of Android phones I've had over the years.

The problem people are having figuring out what you're looking for is that you're being very vague about the features you're missing and the ones you don't want. There's lots of apps, so being a little more specific about the features you're looking for might narrow down the range of recommendations to actually useful ones for you.

On Komoot I've never tried the real time speed display - mainly because the phone is in my trouser pocket and 'turned off' (ie. standby).
The voice directions still work in standby and the screen is powered off so there's much less battery drain, I find I can just hear the directions from my trouser pocket.
If I get really confused I just power up the phone and check the Komoot map.

I may have to investigate getting a phone holder.
Likes For Aardwolf: