Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Few ideas for my first tourer. What should I look for? touring bike?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-12-22, 04:35 PM
dja1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

(Title should read "Few ideas for my first tourer. What should I look for?" - can it be edited?)

I've been fairly committed to cycling for probably 8 years now, and while it has sometimes been in fits and starts I know that I enjoy it and it is here to stay for me. I also love wild camping.

I was recently looking into sinking £3500 on an aero frame and carbon wheels until I thought to myself; why? Why not incorporate two of my favorite hobbies together? I'd get much more from it and get to travel?

Currently, looking into getting a real sturdy steel bike along with all the luggage and going for it, but which one? Other than steel, small gearing and the ability to carry luggage, is there anything to be aware of or to look for?

I've (so far) shortlisted 3 bikes, but feel like one of them, the Genesis maybe needs to be binned.

Trek 520, £1650. Real nice classic look with smooth lines, 26-36 to lug this packhorse up inclines and disc brakes to stop it coming down them in all weathers; entry-level but functional gearing and sturdy wheels with tough 38c tyres. Racks included.

Ridgeback Voyage at £1350; Also aesthetically pleasing, I prefer the Trek Red but love the chrome. Gruppo is a small upgrade and also has excellent small gearing also but it utilizes side-pulls and rims and has not as bombproof wheels and 32c tyres; more agile, yes, but also not as good at stopping the added weight; that said I am a very light rider. Rear rack and guards included.

Genesis TDF30 at £2100; The most expensive of them all and the ugliest to my eyes. Don't like the slope on the top tube. While the Tiagra and discs are a welcome upgrade, a small gear of 30-32 is not so; Yes a small gear but I'd bet it doesn't feel it when a 65kg rider is moving 20-30kg of kit uphill. I spin 90-100 cadence. Dynamo included and 35c wheels are adequate. It just doesn't sound as functional as the other two.

Any thoughts or advice? The Trek and Ridgeback are lovely; the Genesis has some great kit but doesn't seem quite as functional and is pricey. Leaning towards the Trek but saving a few quid on the Ridgeback would be nice, or should I go for something completely different maybe?

Last edited by dja1; 06-12-22 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-12-22, 05:09 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Probably worth reading this guide.

​​​​
Old 06-12-22, 05:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Easy to say just buy the Trek and don't over think it. Also look at Koga bikes, they are a Dutch company, have been making well equipped touring bikes for decades. Only thing I personally don't like about them is all their bikes use flat bars, not drop bars, which would be my preference.
Old 06-12-22, 07:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Thorn Sherpa. The Sherpa model is discontinued, but they still have some frames, you could contact them to see if they have one in your size. It is a 26 inch bike and that tire sizes is not as popular as it was a decade ago.
https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/bikes

They build up bikes to order. Their retail location is SJS.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/
Old 06-12-22, 08:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Don’t get all hung up on disc brakes. Cantilever (not sidepulls, by the way) are an effective brake and not nearly as bad as many make them out to be. My touring bikes has seen a lot of rainy downhills and their cantilevers have stopped it just fine in everything I’ve ridden through. I’ve never once…including a drenched downhill at 45mph in the Smoky Mountains…thought that the brakes weren’t going to work.

You are correct in thinking that the Ridgeback Voyage looks better than the other two. The crank is a better crank and can even take a 22 tooth inner which lowers the gearing significantly. You can even, with some surgery, get a 20 tooth 64mm BCD chainwheel that lowers the gearing even more. The rest of the bike looks pretty good. 32 hole wheels aren’t the best but wheels can be changed (and/or built) to be stronger.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-12-22, 10:11 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
For the money you are willing to spend you have a lot of options. On this side of the pond the Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 520 and Kona Sutra are all very popular. I,m sure there are plenty of great options of european tourers where you are. You will love touring!
Old 06-12-22, 10:39 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
get the one with the lowest gearing.
You'll appreciate it at least once.
Old 06-13-22, 02:21 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Out of those three I would get the Ridgeback. The specs are perfectly fine. Save your money for trips.
Old 06-13-22, 03:28 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
assume you're in england with £-pricing, so how are import duties on those bikes going to affect your final price?

you can still buy from the mainland, right? maybe check out the line of bikes made by VSF Fahrradmanufaktur Bremen.

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/
Old 06-13-22, 03:43 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dja1
(Title should read "Few ideas for my first tourer. What should I look for?" - can it be edited?)

I've been fairly committed to cycling for probably 8 years now, and while it has sometimes been in fits and starts I know that I enjoy it and it is here to stay for me. I also love wild camping.

I was recently looking into sinking £3500 on an aero frame and carbon wheels until I thought to myself; why? Why not incorporate two of my favorite hobbies together? I'd get much more from it and get to travel?

Currently, looking into getting a real sturdy steel bike along with all the luggage and going for it, but which one? Other than steel, small gearing and the ability to carry luggage, is there anything to be aware of or to look for?

I've (so far) shortlisted 3 bikes, but feel like one of them, the Genesis maybe needs to be binned.

Trek 520, £1650. Real nice classic look with smooth lines, 26-36 to lug this packhorse up inclines and disc brakes to stop it coming down them in all weathers; entry-level but functional gearing and sturdy wheels with tough 38c tyres. Racks included.

Ridgeback Voyage at £1350; Also aesthetically pleasing, I prefer the Trek Red but love the chrome. Gruppo is a small upgrade and also has excellent small gearing also but it utilizes side-pulls and rims and has not as bombproof wheels and 32c tyres; more agile, yes, but also not as good at stopping the added weight; that said I am a very light rider. Rear rack and guards included.

Genesis TDF30 at £2100; The most expensive of them all and the ugliest to my eyes. Don't like the slope on the top tube. While the Tiagra and discs are a welcome upgrade, a small gear of 30-32 is not so; Yes a small gear but I'd bet it doesn't feel it when a 65kg rider is moving 20-30kg of kit uphill. I spin 90-100 cadence. Dynamo included and 35c wheels are adequate. It just doesn't sound as functional as the other two.

Any thoughts or advice? The Trek and Ridgeback are lovely; the Genesis has some great kit but doesn't seem quite as functional and is pricey. Leaning towards the Trek but saving a few quid on the Ridgeback would be nice, or should I go for something completely different maybe?
As you're in the UK (I live just outside of Bristol in the SW), I would take a look at Spa Cycles. They do their own range of touring bikes, are well regarded, and may get more for your ££.
Old 06-13-22, 04:20 AM
dja1

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
assume you're in england with £-pricing, so how are import duties on those bikes going to affect your final price?

you can still buy from the mainland, right? maybe check out the line of bikes made by VSF Fahrradmanufaktur Bremen.

https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/
We can still buy from the mainland but some businesses have not been able to put the proper arrangements in place to make it viable. It is quite an unfortunate situation really, not to get into politics.

There are some really appealing offerings here and definitely some I will be considering. It would not be hard for me to take a trip over to France and ride the bike back to the Eurostar train.
Old 06-13-22, 05:05 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Check out Bike4 Travel. They are in Rotterdam. We stopped by there on a tour and boufht an unfinished frame and fork for my wife. I built it up with a Rohloff . Marco is the owner.
Old 06-13-22, 06:41 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by garryg
For the money you are willing to spend you have a lot of options. On this side of the pond the Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 520 and Kona Sutra are all very popular. I,m sure there are plenty of great options of european tourers where you are. You will love touring!
This has been my experience too.

I have a 2010 520. It serves me well every year and has thousands of miles with my annual tours. My only complaints were the Bontrager tires which wore out in 1,000 miles and the saddle.

The Surly has a cult like following. Side by side comparisons suggest it performs similar to the 520. But given its positive user reviews, I might look at it as well. Tire choice influences some purchasers.

DW has a Waterford which she customized and being a bit older than my 520 has additional miles. I like my 520. She loves her Waterford. If I were to do it all over again, I might spend the extra money. Having said that, you may want to be sure about your touring commitment. But, it will also maintain its value,

Last edited by debade; 06-13-22 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-13-22, 01:28 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
What you want first is low LOW maintenance reliability. Derailleurs just don't cut it.
You have the cash, so no reason to not get a Rohloff14. ZERO chance of failure, every gear is perfectly spaced, even spokes, lube goes a year or the common length tour, should just add some oil half way, can put the shifter on the toptube, gets better with age. Can use a chain case too.
Get a long frame with LESS than 2" slope, especially if not using drops.
Get a dyno hub. Mine is a flawless SA XL-FDD with a PERFECT drum brake. It'll easily do a whole lap around the world.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 06-13-22 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-13-22, 11:43 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Personally? I'd be glued to Bike24, looking at bikes like this: https://www.bike24.com/p2652020.html and thinking about taking a train to collect it from the continent, maybe with my gear stuffed into panniers that would take seconds to attach to the new bike before riding off homewards.

https://www.bike-discount.de/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/

https://www.hibike.com/
Old 06-14-22, 10:37 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I've been quite happy with my 520 disc.
Old 06-14-22, 04:01 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Why not start with the bike you have? You don't say what you presently own, but a lot of bikes are easily converted for touring. But then again, some aren't.
Old 06-14-22, 07:19 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,421 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Why not start with the bike you have? You don't say what you presently own, but a lot of bikes are easily converted for touring. But then again, some aren't.
This suggestion above. Find some cheap racks and used panniers (or even duffel bags) and try some short 1-2-3 night rides in your area to see what works for you/what doesn't. It'll help you make a better decision on purchasing a bicycle
Old 06-14-22, 07:37 PM
ajh.me

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I totally agree with starting with what you have. It won't be everything, but you don't know what matters yet. Set it up with enough racking for your nights out and see what you think. Or go the bikepacking route with rack-less luggage.

If you're getting off the pavement, you'll want to think about gearing and tire adjustments to the current bike. Gearing for loaded off-road will have to be lower and you'll figure that out. I am very particular about tires and ride the widest lightweight tires that fit in my bike.
Old 06-14-22, 10:16 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ajh.me
I totally agree with starting with what you have. It won't be everything, but you don't know what matters yet. Set it up with enough racking for your nights out and see what you think. Or go the bikepacking route with rack-less luggage.

If you're getting off the pavement, you'll want to think about gearing and tire adjustments to the current bike. Gearing for loaded off-road will have to be lower and you'll figure that out. I am very particular about tires and ride the widest lightweight tires that fit in my bike.
It's about $150 or less for a full set of Roswheel bikepacking bags of Aliexpress. They're pretty basic, but they do the job. I have a Roswheel saddlebag that I planned to replace after trying a bikepacking saddlebag out, but it just keeps right on keeping on. Easy enough to buy a set of bags from Ali and try them out before buying a whole new bike.
Old 06-15-22, 06:38 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by dja1
I was recently looking into sinking £3500...

Any thoughts or advice?
Moulton TSR 22. Outside the box; inside the club. Proven 'round-the-world tourer. Manufactured in Stratford upon Avon, UK; quintessentially British. Since 1962. Bit of a waiting list these days.

https://www.traditionalcycleshop.co....moulton-tsr-22

Somewhere in Wales:

Last edited by tcs; 06-15-22 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 07:39 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Don't limit yourself to steel - a decent aluminum bike will be lighter and better for riding than a heavy steel frame when not doing loaded touring, and will likely be stiffer and handle a load better than a lightweight steel frame. Lots of options in the 'gravel bike' category that can easily be set up with bikepacking bags, or racks and panniers if the chainstays are long enough/your feet are small enough to not hit the rear panniers when pedalling
Old 06-16-22, 08:17 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Go touring first, before you spend so much on one of those bikes. There may be some things you'll want to have some forethought about, but try not to commit to spending over a thousand pounds without any experience touring when you could probably tour a few weekends or a week on what you have now and get a lot better idea of what you want.

If your current bike is totally unsuitable for even a weekend touring, get something used and depreciated. Used Trek 520's sell for $400 to $700 around here if they're at least 5 years old. The thing is, after you tour on it the rest of the summer, you can sell it next spring for the same thing you paid or even more. The same is true for any bicycle that's at least of some vintage. You don't want it to be so old or worn that you'll have to upgrade it before using it though. The only thing you'll have to pay for is a brand new bike or any upgrades.

"Touring" means different things to different people. Some people seem to think you need a transcontinental expedition bike to tour. I like to go for a couple hundred miles and some people might consider that a day ride, but I take everything I need with me for a few days of living, eating, camping and so on and if there's a hostel or hotel on the route I will probably enjoy that for one night to get a shower and soft bed, but generally I would prefer to spend on food than hotels. The load you actually end up taking with you in terms of bulk and weight will determine some things about what bike will work well, and what luggage will hold it all and what kind of bike and racks that style of luggage fits, and then there's the kind of terrain you'll ride which might inform your tire and gearing choices.

The ideas in your imagination about touring are one thing, and your actual experiences are another. Working things out through some experience will get you closer to reality than your imagination, and the best way to do that is with your current bike or another one that's already depreciated.
Old 06-17-22, 01:27 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Thoughts and advice. Once you have the bike and riding whatever bling excitement that cones with new stuff is long over and the trip is what matters. There’s more fun in riding with lighter loads than heavy ones. You’ll appreciate having an extra $2000 in cash for the trip than high end fancy stuff on a bike that will have no performance or durability difference.
Old 06-17-22, 09:18 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
i do not understand why some folks try to dissuade people from buying an actual touring bike when they are interested in touring. i think in life having the right tool for the job makes more sense. The OP will have a more enjoyable touring experience on a bike designed for touring. Yes you can tour on any bike but the OP seems willing to spend the dough on a real touring bike..
Likes For garryg:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.