Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Old 08-22-22, 11:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Just carrying a cell phone seems rather egotistical to me. It reminds me of the saying ------------a problem on his part does not constitute and emergency on someone elses part. Demanding they drop what ever they are doing and come and rescue him is a little pushy.

Ever hear of Uber or calling a cab?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-22, 11:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,468 Times in 7,309 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oh, so it's not about the cost of the bike...

...but it's definitely about the cost of the bike.

Got it.
What the OP fails to account for is forgetting the saddle bag. I did that on at least one occasion that I can remember.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-22, 11:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ever hear of Uber or calling a cab?
This thread is a clone of an older thread. No originality.
Old 08-22-22, 11:11 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
it was a CF bike, very smooth and aero, and you could just look at it and tell it was very expensive.
I'll bet you couldn't. Here's a "smooth and aero" carbon frame. How much does it retail for? $1200? $4000? C'mon, hotshot -- you can just tell by looking at it, right?

BTW to add to the picture fictional narrative he was fully kitted too.
fify
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-22-22, 11:12 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
In keeping with the signal to noise ratio on this thread has been flushed to zero.

Not noise:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-22-22, 11:13 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10393 Post(s)
Liked 11,844 Times in 6,062 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What the OP fails to account for is forgetting the saddle bag. I did that on at least one occasion that I can remember.
My two CF bikes can't carry a frame pump, so I have to stick a minipump in my pocket for those. At least once, I've been 10 or 20 miles into a ride and suddenly remember that I forgot it. There I'd be - tube, patch kit, levers, and no pump.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-22, 11:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

This thread is a clone of an older thread. No originality.
As long as it's not a clone of a clone, because those things suffer signal degradation.

Old 08-22-22, 11:14 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
But then you would be wrong.
So please outline how this mythical conversation went. You see someone walking as you cruise along, look up at this person (being on a recumbent and all), and ask if everything is ok. Find out that they had a flat, had been walking for 5 miles, and still have 5 miles to go. Ask if they had a patch kit or other basic supplies followed up are you aware that that is highly recommended? Then determine that they should have known better and said tough to be you. What would you have done if their seat bag had fallen off or been stolen at a coffee stop? What if they were new to the sport and did not know better? If it was a fellow recumbent rider, Birkenstocks and all?
Old 08-22-22, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by genejockey
My two CF bikes can't carry a frame pump, so I have to stick a minipump in my pocket for those. At least once, I've been 10 or 20 miles into a ride and suddenly remember that I forgot it. There I'd be - tube, patch kit, levers, and no pump.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-22, 11:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Well, if you're not the sort to help someone stuck by a mechanical, you're probably not the sort to put down what you're doing to go and help a friend of loved one who's in need, so you may not have any good karma to draw on.
What's more it's presumptuous.

I was on a long fondo and got a flat in the first 30mi. Pulled over to fix it, and my saddle bag was gone. Looked up the brand later and folks had issues with the velcro long term giving out if they moved it between bikes. Basically the stitching or glue for the velcro on the saddle straps separates leaving the bag dangling from the seatpost loop which inevitably falls off as the bag swings too and fro. Never bought a "cheapy" again.

It's a simple thing. 1. Ask if someone is OK. 2. Render aid if not. 3. If they didn't have what they need simply and kindly show them your bag contents and maybe where you got it. Universal feedback has been gratitude and every indication they likely logged on when they got home and bought something.
Old 08-22-22, 11:27 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
I’m sure after this I incident the cyclist will never go on another ride without having all the necessary tools.

Then again he may have sold the bike and will spend the rest of his life in therapy after the 15 minutes of…

“Did I tell you I’ve been riding for 70 years. Back in…”

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-22-22, 11:28 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So please outline how this mythical conversation went. You see someone walking as you cruise along, look up at this person (being on a recumbent and all), and ask if everything is ok. Find out that they had a flat, had been walking for 5 miles, and still have 5 miles to go. Ask if they had a patch kit or other basic supplies followed up are you aware that that is highly recommended? Then determine that they should have known better and said tough to be you.
That is most likely very close. All that's missing is the manner in which he asked how much the bike cost.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot.... OP could tell just by looking!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-22-22, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
What's more it's presumptuous.

I was on a long fondo and got a flat in the first 30mi. Pulled over to fix it, and my saddle bag was gone. Looked up the brand later and folks had issues with the velcro long term giving out if they moved it between bikes. Basically the stitching or glue for the velcro on the saddle straps separates leaving the bag dangling from the seatpost loop which inevitably falls off as the bag swings too and fro. Never bought a "cheapy" again.

It's a simple thing. 1. Ask if someone is OK. 2. Render aid if not. 3. If they didn't have what they need simply and kindly show them your bag contents and maybe where you got it. Universal feedback has been gratitude and every indication they likely logged on when they got home and bought something.
My problem, with 10 bikes, is that I have to switch my saddle bag every time I switch bikes. After being CLOSE to the situation you describe - the velcro straps that go over the saddle rails came undone but it was still holding on by the strap around the seatpost - I started using an old strap off a 'clips 'n' straps' pedal. So it takes me about a minute to move the saddle bag when I switch bikes, but now I don't worry about losing the bag.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-22, 11:44 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
My electric trike is right at $3000 or a little more.

There are three bikes that exceed $5k per, heck I probably have 17 or 18k in all three of them. Show me what you think a 5k bike looks like
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-22-22, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

I did a small group ride about a 90 min. drove from my house. There was a long route and a short route The long route was considerably harder. I hadn't ridden a lot recently due to some injury, so I decided to do the short route. Said goodbye to the others at the split and started my solo journey back to the parking lot. At some point I realized that I did not have my saddlebag. "Oh well", I thought. If I flat I will make a call and someone in the group will eventually come pick me up after they are done. Then I realized I had left my phone in the car. That's when I started to get a bit nervous. Fortunately, nothing happened.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-22-22, 11:57 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I did a small group ride about a 90 min. drove from my house. There was a long route and a short route The long route was considerably harder. I hadn't ridden a lot recently due to some injury, so I decided to do the short route. Said goodbye to the others at the split and started my solo journey back to the parking lot. At some point I realized that I did not have my saddlebag. "Oh well", I thought. If I flat I will make a call and someone in the group will eventually come pick me up after they are done. Then I realized I had left my phone in the car. That's when I started to get a bit nervous. Fortunately, nothing happened.
One time last year, I was about to head out on a ride when I realized my phone was discharged. My first thought was, "Oh, no! Now I can't ride!" My second thought was, "What did you do before cell phones?"

So I rode.

Old 08-22-22, 12:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,965 Times in 4,448 Posts
I dont remember, it was a CF bike, very smooth and aero, and you could just look at it and tell it was very expensive. BTW to add to the picture he was fully kitted too.
There's that other insult, "fully kitted".
Likes For big john:
Old 08-22-22, 12:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,965 Times in 4,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So please outline how this mythical conversation went. You see someone walking as you cruise along, look up at this person (being on a recumbent and all), and ask if everything is ok. Find out that they had a flat, had been walking for 5 miles, and still have 5 miles to go. Ask if they had a patch kit or other basic supplies followed up are you aware that that is highly recommended? Then determine that they should have known better and said tough to be you. What would you have done if their seat bag had fallen off or been stolen at a coffee stop? What if they were new to the sport and did not know better? If it was a fellow recumbent rider, Birkenstocks and all?
What if it was a hot babe?
Likes For big john:
Old 08-22-22, 12:57 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
One time last year, I was about to head out on a ride when I realized my phone was discharged. My first thought was, "Oh, no! Now I can't ride!" My second thought was, "What did you do before cell phones?"

So I rode.
Good call. I recall my equipment for a 50 mile ride on rural highways back in the 70s was a spare tubular, glue, a Silca pump (as much to ward off dogs as inflate tires) and maybe a bagel tucked somewhere that it wouldn’t fall out. Good times!

Otto
Old 08-22-22, 01:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The main point is that he wasn't riding a 'bent, and therefore deserved no help.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-22-22, 01:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by ofajen
Good call. I recall my equipment for a 50 mile ride on rural highways back in the 70s was a spare tubular, glue, a Silca pump (as much to ward off dogs as inflate tires) and maybe a bagel tucked somewhere that it wouldn’t fall out. Good times!

Otto
It's worth noting, of course, that when I rode without a cell phone, I was a good 20 years younger! Last month, I ran over a piece of glass that cut my tire really badly. Blew the tube out instantly - no "FffFFffFffFFfffffff", just "FFF!" I was 20 miles from home, and I COULD HAVE tried booting it with an empty gel packet, and tried nursing it home, but I was near a freeway interchange, so I called my wife to come and get me, because I'm too old for this ****.

I found a nice shady spot to wait.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-22-22, 01:07 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I saw the Proclaimers in Austin in the early 90s, and it remains one of the finest live performances I've ever witnessed.
Old 08-22-22, 01:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Didja ever notice that in the age of social media every incident, no matter how trivial, is now a morality play?

I've been known to walk 10 miles for fun.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-22-22, 01:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,018 Times in 3,792 Posts
Rydabent says a lot of things that rub people the wrong way, and some stuff that is just nonsense. Yet, I didn't expect him to be the kind of guy to laugh at someone else's misfortune like this. Sad.
Old 08-22-22, 01:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Didja ever notice that in the age of social media every incident, no matter how trivial, is now a morality play?

I've been known to walk 10 miles for fun.
Two-bolt cleats, or three?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.