Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Runner Turned Cyclist? Need Advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Runner Turned Cyclist? Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 04:57 AM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
+1 runner turned cyclist.. doing both helped me a lot.. specially in running.
Old 08-24-22, 05:13 AM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
$450 for the work to be done on it? If so, no way - I wouldn't sink that kind of money in to a bike that doesn't fit.
yep this^
Old 09-01-22, 08:45 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Myers22

3. My bike just has regular pedals so I'm not able to pull up on them.
Not even pros generate any significant force on their up-stroke, so don't worry about that. Clipping in has other advantages i.e. more stable and secure foot positioning, but it's certainly not essential for producing consistent power in regular riding. I use clipless pedals on my road bikes and flat pedals on my mountain bikes. I prefer the latter when riding technical trails so I can dab my foot down a little quicker when necessary and not need to keep clipping in and out. On my road bike I prefer the "locked-in" feel of clipless shoes/pedals.
Old 09-12-22, 05:54 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
If the frame is too large you will be stretched out too far on the frame and this will make for a less pleasant ride. Start by getting a bike that has the right size frame for your body.

Be aware that frame geometry varies greatly. Some "race" bikes have very short fork rake and are squirrely to ride. A longer rack will make for a bike that is much easier to control. What are now being termed "endurance" bikes will have a more relaxed frame geometry and will be more fun to ride. The Trek Domane bikes fall into this category and you can find their frame geometry, in particular the head tube angle and trail or rake measurment for the bikes.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=grey_black

Going at speed is uncomfortable but lessens the more time you spend on the bike. A stable bike is very important for comfort and safety. Avoid a handlebar mounted bag and use one that attached to the rear of the seat.

Most rides have the seat too low and too far forward and it takes time to dial it in properly. Don't try to make adjustments until you have ridden for 15-20 minutes and given your legs time to warm up and stretch.

Clip style pedals allow you to apply more power to the pedals and the two-pin shoes make it easy to walk when off the bike. Bike shoes will provide a great deal more support for your foot with their very stiff soles.