Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New 12 speed Shimano Di2 Rim brake version is NOT wireless!!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-03-22, 04:49 PM
pashlit

Bikes: Caad 8, CX6, Argon 18 Pro, Scalpel Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Well, I am pissed at Shimano. I am pissed at the shop I purchased the newest Di2 Ultegra kit from. I spent two hours trouble shooting "wireless shifters" just to find out they are NOT wireless. I have no idea why the hell Shimano only made disk version wireless. Even the shop I purchased the kit from lists them as wireless. That was one of the reasons I purchased the kit at the first place. Arhhhhhh! Just spitting out some rant and warning others thinking of upgrading. I know most of you are using disk brakes but I love my racing machine and slim rim brakes I have. Had I known that I would ve picked SRAM.
Old 09-03-22, 05:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Just return it, false advertising and all that.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-03-22, 06:07 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
You are correct. That version is not wireless. All Shimano documentation shows that. But... if the shop was advertising that groupset as wireless I think you have a pretty good case against them. I would either return it or request a deep discount.
Old 09-03-22, 07:17 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Every review I’ve ever read states that wires are required with rim brakes.
Old 09-03-22, 07:21 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
It is known.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-03-22, 08:07 PM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well. I watched a bunch of all those Lama-Ride w/Japan, etc, reviews and they all didn't even mention wired setup. I read the description at the shop's web site and it clearly states "wireless". This is my first Di2 set up and I couldn't even imagine in my worst dreams that Shimano will do crap like that. What is the reason behind it? Doesn't make any sense. I will ask for a discount at the shop and just forget about it.
Old 09-03-22, 09:03 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Does it work?
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-03-22, 11:33 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Yep. That information is definitely out there (as I looked into the rim-brake version also). But if the shop sold it to you claiming "full wireless" then that's a whole other issue. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the groupset anyway, there's quite a few nice refinements over the outgoing 11-speed Di2.

Originally Posted by pashlit
What is the reason behind it? Doesn't make any sense.
​​​​​​
That's actually a very good question. I do not know! I'm sure there's a reason, but whether Shimano have let that reason be known is another thing.

Anyone spot the "why" information anywhere?​
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-04-22, 12:39 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Well. I watched a bunch of all those Lama-Ride w/Japan, etc, reviews and they all didn't even mention wired setup. I read the description at the shop's web site and it clearly states "wireless". This is my first Di2 set up and I couldn't even imagine in my worst dreams that Shimano will do crap like that. What is the reason behind it? Doesn't make any sense. I will ask for a discount at the shop and just forget about it.
It’s very clear that the rim brake version is not wireless and all the detailed reviews I have read mention the same thing. Trying to stick the shop that sold you the group because you misunderstood is wrong. Even if they were not explicitly clear that the rim brake version is different you should take some ownership on this. You didn’t mention the shop but if purchased online even more responsibility is on yourself to ensure what your are purchasing is what you need. Now if you purchased from a local shop and the vendor explicitly told you that the group is wireless perhaps then they would have some responsibility.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-04-22 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 04:18 AM
kommisar

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
on the bright side, after an EMP attack you will still be able to ride you bike
Old 09-04-22, 06:13 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
It’s very clear that the rim brake version is not wireless and all the detailed reviews I have read mention the same thing. Trying to stick the shop that sold you the group because you misunderstood is wrong. Even if they were not explicitly clear that the rim brake version is different you should take some ownership on this. You didn’t mention the shop but if purchased online even more responsibility is on yourself to ensure what your are purchasing is what you need. Now if you purchased from a local shop and the vendor explicitly told you that the group is wireless perhaps then they would have some responsibility.
I wouldn't take the position of " You should have known" with a customer, especially if there was any possibility of a misrepresentation on my part. That's just poor business.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 09-04-22, 06:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Took me 30 seconds to find the Shimano product page for this where it states that it is wired. You screwed up.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-R8150-R.html
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-04-22, 06:50 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Well, I am pissed at Shimano. I am pissed at the shop I purchased the newest Di2 Ultegra kit from. I spent two hours trouble shooting "wireless shifters" just to find out they are NOT wireless.
Did you even bother to look at the documentation that came with the kit, or did you just install the shift levers and then spent two hours trying to diagnose a non-issue?

Well. I watched a bunch of all those Lama-Ride w/Japan, etc, reviews and they all didn't even mention wired setup. I read the description at the shop's web site and it clearly states "wireless".
Perhaps instead of doing your 'research' on YouTube, you should have Googled the Shimano website and read the group descriptions? If the shop website clearly states that the rim brake version is wireless, you should do a screen capture and show it to them in your quest for compensation for your lack of research. Good luck.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-04-22, 06:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Shimano advertises it as wire “less.” The reviews I read before buying it all mocked that even. Which website are you referring to?

Curious how did you thought you were going to get power from the battery to the components if you thought it was fully wireless like SRAM?

I just put it on one of my bikes, albeit disc, and it is very nice. I’m also curious how the product is less desirable because you have to run a wire from your shifters to the battery other than a bit of install inconvenience?
Old 09-04-22, 07:06 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Caveat emptor. I don't know that the shop that sold it was attempting to defraud anyone. Quite possibly they just weren't knowledgable about the product. I'd avoid the shop for that reason.

Old 09-04-22, 08:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

I’d say take it back and ask for a refund if it’s not as you thought it would be. There’s no reason for a discount. The thing works as designed.
Old 09-04-22, 08:14 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
Having just finished assembling a wired 11-speed Di2 bike with internal cable routing, I can see why wireless might be an advantage. But that advantage, once the bicycle is assembled and the wires are threaded (including the one that is still giving me a headache), is gone. If the issue is aesthetics, and you didn't even see the wires before you purchased it, why on earth do you care? I thought even the disc version 12-speed was only semi-wireless.

Look on the bright side, you only have 1 battery to keep an eye on and to recharge.

"First World Problems" doesn't even begin to describe the faux outrage.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 08:20 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Wired shifters.

I’ve the 12sp Di2 disc version. Next time I do bar tape I plan on wiring the shifters.
I don’t like having coin cells in the shifters and bettershifting claims a 50% increase in battery life (seat post Di2 battery) if used wired.

I view wired shifters as an advantage.

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 09-06-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 08:20 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I know this is only about me, but ...

Wired is Good

I prefer wired things when possible.

I prefer wired Di2 because there are fewer things to go wrong with respect to the connection, fewer (1) batteries to discharge, and the signal is always robust.

I have wired speakers in my house, not wireless. I spent a lot of quality time under the house installing high-quality speaker cables (the equivalent of internal wiring) so it looks clean. The connection to my amplifier is perfect, and completely robust.

My computers, etc, attached by ethernet cable have fewer complications than the ones on my wireless router. Wired ethernet, when possible, is the way to go, at least for sessile computers and other devices. Steaming works better, Connections are instant. Download and upload speeds are always better. Connections in remote areas on my property are far more robust.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 08:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Barry2
I’ve the 12sp Di2 disc version. Next time I do bar tape I plan on wiring the shifters.
I don’t like having coin cells in the shifters and bettershifting claims a 50% increase in battery life if used wired.

I view wired shifters as an advantage.

Barry
So, it gives you the choice?

That's really cool. I had no idea.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-04-22, 08:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Took me 30 seconds to find the Shimano product page for this where it states that it is wired. You screwed up.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-R8150-R.html
Well sure, but I don't think most folks will go looking for that info if the seller already told you it's wireless.

Shimano advertises it as wire “less.” The reviews I read before buying it all mocked that even. Which website are you referring to?
They do? That's begging for problems. Cable"less" I could see .. maybe (except there's still one needed for the brakes)

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Y
That's actually a very good question. I do not know! I'm sure there's a reason, but whether Shimano have let that reason be known is another thing.
Anyone spot the "why" information anywhere?​
Oh common.. it's obvious.. big bike wants everyone on disc brakes -- they're not going to give the rim versions the same capability.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-04-22, 09:18 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Did you even bother to look at the documentation that came with the kit, or did you just install the shift levers and then spent two hours trying to diagnose a non-issue?

Perhaps instead of doing your 'research' on YouTube, you should have Googled the Shimano website and read the group descriptions? If the shop website clearly states that the rim brake version is wireless, you should do a screen capture and show it to them in your quest for compensation for your lack of research. Good luck.
Yes, their web site is clearly states "Comes with only two wires, shifters are wireless". It even mentions "wireless" in several spots. Why would I need to do any more research? I relied on a reputable bike shop I dealt with several times with no issues. I purchased a few groupsets from them and have always been happy. I was under impression that the whole line of the newest Shimano's Ultegras are wireless. I did save screen shots.
Old 09-04-22, 09:24 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Alright folks. Thanks everybody for responses. While I got a bit upset with the shop, it is not a deal breaker. I still think I deserve at least a cup of coffee and a doughnut, so they should offer that to me as an apology. I just finished setting her up and she shifts beautifully. Still an upgrade from previous version I was initially going to put on. No more junction boxes, no separate Bluetooth dongles, less wires...well, one wire, LOL. I only have one thin wire sticking out from the handlebars going into the top tube, but that's it. On the bright side wired setup has much better battery life from what I heard. Be safe out there and keep on riding.
Likes For pashlit:
Old 09-04-22, 09:36 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Yes, their web site is clearly states "Comes with only two wires, shifters are wireless". It even mentions "wireless" in several spots. Why would I need to do any more research? I relied on a reputable bike shop I dealt with several times with no issues. I purchased a few groupsets from them and have always been happy. I was under impression that the whole line of the newest Shimano's Ultegras are wireless. I did save screen shots.
Okay, you *may* have a legitimate issue with the shop, but...
I cannot understand why you wouldn't have read over the instruction sheet included with the groupset prior to installing the parts. You would have seen that on rim brake versions, you have to connect wires. At that point, you could have boxed everything back up and brought it back to the shop for a refund. Once it's been opened up and parts have been installed, you may be stuck with them.
Really, connecting wired shifters in Di2 isn't bad, assuming your frame is set up for internal cables/wiring. I have a Di2 equipped bike (Ultegra 11 speed) and found a pair of handlebars that allowed for internal wiring. Other than one short section of wire from the stem to the frame entry, you don't see much of anything. You already have brake cables, and even if you had disc brakes, you still have hydraulic lines you have to deal with on your bars.
Old 09-04-22, 09:58 AM
pashlit

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Okay, you *may* have a legitimate issue with the shop, but...
I cannot understand why you wouldn't have read over the instruction sheet included with the groupset prior to installing the parts. You would have seen that on rim brake versions, you have to connect wires. At that point, you could have boxed everything back up and brought it back to the shop for a refund. Once it's been opened up and parts have been installed, you may be stuck with them.
Really, connecting wired shifters in Di2 isn't bad, assuming your frame is set up for internal cables/wiring. I have a Di2 equipped bike (Ultegra 11 speed) and found a pair of handlebars that allowed for internal wiring. Other than one short section of wire from the stem to the frame entry, you don't see much of anything. You already have brake cables, and even if you had disc brakes, you still have hydraulic lines you have to deal with on your bars.
It was an OEM kit with no installation instructions. Plus, as I'd mentioned I was under impression that all the Shimano new lines are wireless. I've worked with bikes for years, so was pretty confident in what I was going to do. Anyways, please look at my previous post. I have finished the set up and she looks nice. I have Easton EC70 handlebars which allow internal routing. With cheap magnetic wire fishing kit off Ebay I routed those thin wires pretty easily.
Likes For pashlit:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.