Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs
Reload this Page >

Fishing ffor thoughts. I'm re-starting inclusive cycling sessions.

Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Old 06-02-22, 10:13 AM
Myron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hi. Myself and a colleague will be re-starting inclusive cycling sessions and have the advantage of starting from somewhat of a clean sheet.
If you was to attend an inclusive cycling session, what would you like to see and be able to do?

I have some ideas of my own, but I'm curious on everyone thoughts.
Old 06-02-22, 10:58 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
By "inclusive cycling sessions" are you meaning for those with physical disabilities (per the sub-forum) or for those that fall into some sort of social construct category?

I have a feeling you'll get very different responses depending on what your goals are.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-02-22, 01:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Cycling session, like out on the road cycling, or "spin class"? And the above posters question is quite poignant considering the sub forum.

As an amputee I will be happy to impart to you my own experience.

I cycled for several years by myself to build up to a level that I expected would be good enough to join a club and do open road club rides. I found out rather quickly that all the groups I joined that called themselves the "B ride" and stated things like "15" average and all, were actually MUCH faster than that. My ability and age all played a part in my inability to actually keep that pace for the entire ride and it almost always ended up with my finishing with the sweep who didn't necessarily want to be holding back to stay with me. I 'lobbied' within the club to create a new C/D class ride where not only where the speeds slower, but the distance was cut for slower riders, as well as having the group stay as one rather than the faster riders taking off. It turned into a boon for the club in general as I was introducing new riders and older riders into a forgiving format and as time went on almost all of those riders surpassed my ability and moved up to the faster group(s). In addition to the slower metered ride, we also held classes to teach those new riders how to change a tube on the side of the road and other situations which might arise, such as simple derailleur adjustments, how to force into a rideable gear to get home, and other important aspects of road riding.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-02-22, 02:39 PM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by base2
By "inclusive cycling sessions" are you meaning for those with physical disabilities (per the sub-forum) or for those that fall into some sort of social construct category?

I have a feeling you'll get very different responses depending on what your goals are.
The magic word here is inclusive. Catering for people with physical disabilities, mental impairment, elderly, etc.... Quite wide ranging. This is a project that will evolve, be dynamic and it's also a learning process for me and my collegues. Find out what works and what does not and fine tune what's offered.
Old 06-02-22, 03:03 PM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Cycling session, like out on the road cycling, or "spin class"? And the above posters question is quite poignant considering the sub forum.

As an amputee I will be happy to impart to you my own experience.

I cycled for several years by myself to build up to a level that I expected would be good enough to join a club and do open road club rides. I found out rather quickly that all the groups I joined that called themselves the "B ride" and stated things like "15" average and all, were actually MUCH faster than that. My ability and age all played a part in my inability to actually keep that pace for the entire ride and it almost always ended up with my finishing with the sweep who didn't necessarily want to be holding back to stay with me. I 'lobbied' within the club to create a new C/D class ride where not only where the speeds slower, but the distance was cut for slower riders, as well as having the group stay as one rather than the faster riders taking off. It turned into a boon for the club in general as I was introducing new riders and older riders into a forgiving format and as time went on almost all of those riders surpassed my ability and moved up to the faster group(s). In addition to the slower metered ride, we also held classes to teach those new riders how to change a tube on the side of the road and other situations which might arise, such as simple derailleur adjustments, how to force into a rideable gear to get home, and other important aspects of road riding.
It will be outside within a country park. If you go Google Maps and search for "Bowlee Country Park, Middleton" then bring up satellite view then you'll see a large tarmacked area and several paths. All of which is accessible.

As lead rides on the road..... At the moment that is work in progress.
As to classes of rides I assume you're referring to this ...
A rides are 19+ mph, 35+ mi
B rides are 16-19 mph, 35+/- mi
C and D rides <16 mph, 15-20 mi

If you get dropped on a A or B ride, it's generally up to you to figure out your way home/back to the starting point. They generally have a rest/break at the halfway to two thirds point. Depending on terrain they will include hills.
C and D rides are no drop rides and are usually flat or will have a small hill or two.
For road riding the start point would always be class C or D. For Class A and B I think clients would be sign-posted to other cycling clubs. It's my guess on what the procedure would be.

Minor cycle maintenance is on the books to be implemented. I know how annoying it can be when a rear derailleur goes out of alignment.

Anyway, the main part will be to provide a safe space outside for people to enjoy themselves and learn bike riding skills.

Thank-you for your views.
Old 06-08-22, 02:58 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Juan, is it only lead road rides that you're interested in joining?