Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Another Project "Behind ME"...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-21-22, 08:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

I bought a used bike trailer! Yeah, I'm excited about it. I've never needed one, but I'm not getting any younger, so when I found a used, customized, folding trailer for $30 I bought it.

Last year I bought a folding bike (also not needed) and bodged together an airline-compliant suitcase I could tow behind it, but it doesn't use a real bicycle hitch, and it just made me want a trailer even more.

The only complication came when I went to remove the quick release skewer from the rear hub of my utility/winter bike...The axle was broken! As I discovered a few years ago with my old 12-speed, you can ride around with a broken axle without realizing it until maintenance is needed. In the 12-speed case, I went to change the rear cassette, in this case, simply removing the skewer.

So I did the first short, around-the-block ride on my 700c commuter without the rails attached. But yesterday afternoon, after getting a replacement wheel I hitched the trailer to my utility bike and rode 10 miles.

On the level and downhill portions I didn't feel a thing, although I'm sure that will change with a load. On the uphill portions, especially the steepest hills, I definitely felt the extra weight, but my utility bike has crazy low gears, so I just slowly spun my way up those portions.

I plan to explore carrying possibilities and will probably get a plastic storage bin, and also a large semi-rigid bag or possibly make fitted panels for the rails,

The wheels have a clever quick release latch, and the rails quickly fold and are easily removable (even more so if I use cotter pins). There is a hole upfront on the arm for a caster and with the high handle in the back I could conceivably us it as a shopping cart if a store allows it.

Since losing my daily commute, I have been trying to find more excuses and motivations to ride. By allowing me to carry larger and bulkier items, and being customizable, this trailer does both.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-21-22, 10:54 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1356 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
double sweet !

additional pics welcome - especially close-up pics of the hitch and trailer - thank you !
Old 06-21-22, 11:01 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have to admit a level of regret for not picking up a "stroller" trailer that was in the local Goodwill some years ago. I opted to think about it and came back the next day already purchased and gone.
That one was a good deal at $30. Well done.
Old 06-21-22, 11:24 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I have to admit a level of regret for not picking up a "stroller" trailer that was in the local Goodwill some years ago. I opted to think about it and came back the next day already purchased and gone.
That one was a good deal at $30. Well done.
Those are great laundry holders for apartment dwellers
Old 06-21-22, 12:36 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Those are great laundry holders for apartment dwellers

Had I been a little more cognizant of its use case, it would also have made an excellent dog pen for rides with the wiener pup(s).
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-21-22, 12:54 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Good grief, that set up is a beast! Pedal strong.
Old 06-21-22, 05:02 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Good grief, that set up is a beast! Pedal strong.
Without the trailer the bike feels light and nimble...except uphill of course.