Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket spacer

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bottom Bracket spacer

Old 08-18-22, 05:16 AM
maglia_grigia

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Bottom Bracket spacer

Hi folks,

I have got stuck with a vintage road bike to single speed conversion I've been chipping away at for a few months. .
Current issue is that with the cranks fitted the spindle that fits through the bottom bracket has a bit of give in it. I need to have it pinned closer to one side so that the front chain ring holds in line with the rear sprocket.

I was thinking some kind of washer / spacer with the correct dimensions would do the job.

I have done a number of amazon, ebay etc. searches for a suitable component but anything I see looks much wider than the spindle and not small enough to sit against the crank.

Has anyone had a similar issue and found a purpose built component or a suitable hack from a hardware store?

Thanks
Old 08-18-22, 06:08 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
A couple of things.

I have never seen a spacer used at the end of a bb spindle where it meets the crank arm if that is what you are suggesting.
Nor do I think it will accomplish what you are looking to do.

A spacer will only allow the bottom bracket assembly to move the crank out, away from the bb shell.
If you need that to align the chainline, then you can definitely find a source for the spacer.I
t will need to go between the fixed cup and the frame.

Getting closer to the bb shell to facilitate alignment is a done through changing the spindle itself.
The come in a wide variety of lengths and configurations.

The give(play ) in the bb is an entirely different issue. Depending on the quality(ie precision) of the frame, you
should be able to adjust out the movement. through loosening the bb lockring( on non drive side, and
adjusting the cup in a bit.

One trick to remeber is that when you tighten the lockring on the adjustable cup, it will pull the cup out a bit.
So, tighten the adjustable cup so it binds ever so slightly and let the lockring do the final adjustment to make it smooth.

On any frame, especially better ones, facing(milling the surfaces the cups rest on to a parallel) the bb shell will do wonders
for getting a near perfect adjustment.

Things to check:
BB spindle and crank arm compatability.
Bearing surfaces on the spindle are in good shape.
Bearings are correct size and in good shape
There is not a large amount of paint on the faces of the bb shell.

rusty