Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Coincidence or real problem?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-22, 01:32 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I have been using a Cat Eye Strada and a Cat Eye MC100 Micro computer on two bikes. They're both wireless analog units with new batteries in both the head and sensor parts.

I've noticed that when I use a light (Nite Rider battery powered and in blinking mode) the computer occasionally registers 0 mph while I'm riding and sometimes on the Strada, the mph is 0 but the distance continues to register. After a short time, the computer goes back to full function. Tonight I rode w/o the light on and had no problems. Since it's getting dark earlier and earlier, I need the light to at least be seen.

Both computers are at least 5+ years old and yes, the sensors and the wheel magnets are positioned correctly.

Are the computers past their reliable use age or is the light somehow interfering with the computer? I read somewhere that Bontrager computers sometimes have problems with using lights but that was in user ratings which I am somewhat skeptical about.

Thank you.
Old 08-24-22, 01:56 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Yes lights can interfere with wireless computers.
Have you got fresh batteries in the computer, including the sensor?
Old 08-24-22, 05:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Can you move the light further away from the computer? Or is there no other viable place to mount the light?

If the light is a handlebar mounted headlight and you are only using it as a to-be-seen light, a friend of mine got one of the light mounts that threads on to his front skewer. But that is a poor place to mount a light if you are using the light to provide light for night riding, mounting it that low gives you too many shadows and pot holes are harder to see clearly.