Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lightweight Bikepacking with Road Capability for >1000m trip

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 01:43 AM
afrdav

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Gosh, I didn't quite expect so much negativity - not quite the friendly forum I expected!

To answer any of the concerns (or judgements):

- I have been involved in Ukraine Humanitarian operations in Ukraine since February. I am aware of the situation in Ukraine more than most and I am fundraising for the two charities via which I work in Ukraine.

- This trip has been planned since May. And I have planned my route with the assistance of partners in each country through which I will pass (5 in total).

- I have been training since May on a bike. A 2016 Boardman CX Teams which previously took me down the Atlantic cycle route from France to Spain.

I am looking to UPGRADE that bike and came on here for some advice around that upgrade. I may like cycling but I am no means an expert on comparing bikes. Again, that is why I came here - for advice on bikes...

Hi all

Newbie here!

I am urgently looking to purchase a bike for a charity cycle next month where I will be cycling from UK to Ukraine. (I did have a bike offered to me but sadly fell through).

My question is: what is the best lightweight, bikepacking bike - baring in mind i will be travelling around 100 miles per day for 20 days. I'll be mainly on roads or pavement but would like to have something that can capably manage a bit of gravel / uneven surface if need be. I will be carrying bare minimum with me (clothing, charger and a bit of food) so doesnt require to be a packhorse.

Budget is around £1k but I would prefer to buy 2nd hand as usually you get more for your money.

Any advice desperately received as I keep going down google worm holes at all the different options.

Last edited by afrdav; 09-08-22 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-08-22, 05:01 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
I'd have a good look at this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/riv...0b_c12&c=GREEN

If you want a drop bar, I'd have a look at the Triban range, the RC500/520 or possibly the gravel variants which might be a bit slower but will be a bit more confortable
Old 09-08-22, 06:28 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
How do you plan on carrying gear? You'll need a frame that can handle the pack(s) you plan on using. A low-end gravel bike may work fine--there are usually frame bosses for a rear rack. Gearing is a wide enough range for any road conditions.
Old 09-08-22, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by afrdav
I am urgently looking to purchase a bike for a charity cycle next month where I will be cycling from UK to Ukraine. (I did have a bike offered to me but sadly fell through).
Doesn't this involve riding into a war zone? Also, does the route actually take you up and down mountains?

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-08-22 at 06:54 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-22, 06:55 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Doesn't this involve riding into a war zone? Also, does the route actually take you up and down mountains?
That's what I was thinking... why would anyone cycle TO Ukraine right now?
Old 09-08-22, 07:01 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
" baring in mind i will be travelling around 100 miles per day for 20 days"
Dream World THINKING.

Old 09-08-22, 07:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Hi all

Newbie here!

My question is: what is the best lightweight, bikepacking bike - baring in mind i will be travelling around 100 miles per day for 20 days. I'll be mainly on roads or pavement but would like to have something that can capably manage a bit of gravel / uneven surface if need be. I will be carrying bare minimum with me (clothing, charger and a bit of food) so doesnt require to be a packhorse.

Budget is around £1k but I would prefer to buy 2nd hand as usually you get more for your money.

Any advice DESPERATELY received as I keep going down google worm holes at all the different options.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but depending on how you answer this, my advice might be absolutely do not do this.
Is this an organized group event or is it something you're doing by yourself? Are you actually new to riding or riding distances? Are you actually routing this yourself? Are you familiar enough with the geography to route through the Alps? Are you sure you won't be riding into actual combat and/or checkpoints where you could be arrested or worse?

Is there a way to cross the English Channel by bike? The UK to Ukraine thing makes me suspect this isn't serious.
Old 09-08-22, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
" baring in mind i will be travelling around 100 miles per day for 20 days"
Dream World THINKING.

The whole idea doesn't even seem half-baked. Is quarter-baked a thing?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-08-22, 08:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know this wasn't what you asked, but depending on how you answer this, my advice might be absolutely do not do this.
Is this an organized group event or is it something you're doing by yourself? Are you actually new to riding or riding distances? Are you actually routing this yourself? Are you familiar enough with the geography to route through the Alps? Are you sure you won't be riding into actual combat and/or checkpoints where you could be arrested or worse?

Is there a way to cross the English Channel by bike? The UK to Ukraine thing makes me suspect this isn't serious.
I really wondered if it were serious or not. I mean, here's someone who doesn't even have a bike to ride, and they're planning on doing about 2,000 miles in 20 days. That's not the kind of riding a total newbie does. If the OP is serious, I hope they actually do have other bikes and ride often and are just looking for a specific bike to use on this trip. But if they are a total newbie to cycling, then they need to do a whole lot of riding before taking on this kind of challenge. And if they're just trolling then they can go join the dumpster vodka/let's play a game/let's start yet another pointless thread crowd.
Old 09-08-22, 08:30 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 692 Posts
next month ………..i will be travelling around 100 miles per day for 20 days.
what bike are you currently using for the required training to achieve this?
How long have you been training on this bike?

Barry

As a clue… I’ve been cycling and using a professional cycling coach for a couple years.
My experience level tells me, I can’t achieve your goal !
Old 09-08-22, 08:44 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Barry2
what bike are you currently using for the required training to achieve this?
Training is cheating.
Old 09-08-22, 08:54 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
The 2022 Tour de France was 2068 miles in 23 days.
Maybe the OP is a Tour Pro wanting to get into bikepacking and wants the collective wisdom of BF?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-08-22, 09:01 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Hi all

Newbie here!

Any advice DESPERATELY received as I keep going down google worm holes at all the different options.
I usually don't like to discourage riders, but you presently do not own a bike and you want to ride 100 miles a day for 20 days? Is there any support for this charity ride?
I believe you are taking on a feat beyond your capabilities or you are looking for reactions.
There are numerous local charity rides in support of Ukraine in the UK.
Try one of those first. Or tell us what your goal is.
Old 09-08-22, 09:25 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Maybe the OP is a Tour Pro wanting to get into bikepacking and wants the collective wisdom of BF?
Stranger things have happened...
Old 09-08-22, 09:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by MarcusT
I usually don't like to discourage riders, but you presently do not own a bike and you want to ride 100 miles a day for 20 days?/
Ehh, how hard could it be?

Or tell us what your goal is.
I suspect I know what the goal is, the same as others who have started inane threads here in the recent past.
Old 09-08-22, 10:07 AM
afrdav

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi all

Newbie here!

Gosh, I didn't quite expect so much negativity - not quite the friendly forum I expected!

- I have been involved in Ukraine Humanitarian operations in Ukraine since February. I am aware of the situation in Ukraine more than most and I am fundraising for the two charities via which I work in Ukraine.

- This trip has been planned since May. And I have planned my route with the assistance of partners in each country through which I will pass (5 in total).

I have been training since May on a bike. A 2016 Boardman CX Teams which previously took me down the Atlantic cycle route from France to Spain.

I am looking to UPGRADE that bike and came on here for some advice around that upgrade. I may like cycling but I am no means an expert on comparing bikes. Again, that is why I came here - for advice on bikes.
Old 09-08-22, 10:08 AM
afrdav

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have now explained my goal but I didn't really think this was a pre-cursor to asking for opinions on bicycles on a bicycle forum.
Likes For afrdav:
Old 09-08-22, 10:21 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I have now explained my goal but I didn't really think this was a pre-cursor to asking for opinions on bicycles on a bicycle forum.
Why not use the Boardman for this trip? What would you like to change about the Boardman?

Are you looking to use racks and panniers? How much weight will you be carrying?

I would think any touring bike should work, I've done a bit of dirt road riding with mine while carrying 30ish pounds.

I also have a bike which is a cross between a touring bike and a road race type bike. It has a longer wheelbase, low gears, and rack eyelets. I put 36 spoke wheels on it.

Also any gravel bike should work fine. Since you are wanting used I think you will be grabbing whatever suitable bike comes up in your size, especially being time constrained.

Last edited by big john; 09-08-22 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-08-22, 10:42 AM
afrdav

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for this - helpful and noted and I welcome all constructive feedback on bike.

The boardman is absolutely fine in many ways and I am happy to ride it - it has enough mounts and served me well on my atlantic coast trip. I was just looking for a slightly speedier/lighter model - as a lot of the route is on road.

I also understand most bike-packing bikes have a more relaxed geometry which I may be grateful for after 20 days!

But consensus seems to be - change bike at my own peril at this stage - so I'll heed that advice!
Old 09-08-22, 10:45 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Well good luck with your tour. Anyone who unable negotiate their way down to the Touring subforum will probably have a tough time riding to their destination.

John
Old 09-08-22, 10:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I have been training since May on a bike. A 2016 Boardman CX Teams which previously took me down the Atlantic cycle route from France to Spain.

I am looking to UPGRADE that bike and came on here for some advice around that upgrade. I may like cycling but I am no means an expert on comparing bikes. Again, that is why I came here - for advice on bikes.

I wish you well, but I don't think being concerned that you may have bitten off more than you can chew when you describe yourself as a "newbie" and explain that you're doing something that essentially sounds mathematically impossible (100 miles per day while crossing the Alps?) under some really bad conditions is "not friendly". Some of the people on this thread have done rides of several thousand miles (I haven't), so when they're expressing concern for you, it's sincere. It's also such an implausible-sounding plan that there was some legitimate question whether you were attempting to pull our leg.

I don't know what's available for you at 1000 pounds, but I have ridden my somewhat loaded Allez Elite over some pretty big hills with really poor roads, and that might be ok for the roads you describe. But I have to say, I really wish you would come up with a route/goal that could serve your admirable charity in a manner that's less likely to kill you, and I'm not using the term kill figuratively. I'm sorry but the 1200k essentially flat ride you took between France and Spain does not sound like something that would prepare you for riding far more during a period of time than the elites of grand tour riding over such an arduous route. I don't think I'd be doing you any favor by not suggesting you might want to adjust your plans.
Old 09-08-22, 10:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts

A common saying amongst the engineers I work with is, "Light, strong, and cheap: pick two." To tweak it a little for the question at hand, you might say "Fast, comfortable, and cheap bike: pick two." I think that's the message you've received so far, with a side or two of snark.

20 days riding 100 miles each day isn't easy. If that's the training you've been doing, that's great; why would you want to change the bike you've been doing that on? Another bike is likely to be slower (making it hard to complete your daily mileage), heavier (making the climbing you'll experience more difficult), and changing bikes this close to your departure is going to make it difficult to get the new bike adjusted to you, and for you to get used to the feel of the new bike.

Are you planning to add a rack and panniers to carry gear? That's the weight issue again, along with additional drag to slow you down.

I'm not trying to be negative, but even with the additional information you've provided, I'm having a hard time convincing myself this is a viable goal at present.
Old 09-08-22, 11:00 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Thank you for this - helpful and noted and I welcome all constructive feedback on bike.

The boardman is absolutely fine in many ways and I am happy to ride it - it has enough mounts and served me well on my atlantic coast trip. I was just looking for a slightly speedier/lighter model - as a lot of the route is on road.

I also understand most bike-packing bikes have a more relaxed geometry which I may be grateful for after 20 days!

But consensus seems to be - change bike at my own peril at this stage - so I'll heed that advice!
If you're going to use that bike then maybe use some of the money to fix it up a bit. Maybe carry an extra tire, along with tools and a few other parts. I always carried a spare shift cable and a few spokes for the rear wheel. At least 2 tubes and a patch kit and a decent pump. Also, I found a handlebar bag is convenient for food to eat on the road and other things you want easy access to, like a camera.
Old 09-08-22, 11:05 AM
afrdav

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you, some of the comments were constructive (if not a bit judgey) but others were not constructive in the slightest (if you scroll up), so I take on board some of what you say but disagree with other points.

The 'newbie' comment referred to being new to this forum.

I should have been more specific. My uk leg involves riding to the ferry, jumping off in Holland and cycling to West Ukraine. It has already been done by a number of other non-pros in the same period - so i cannot claim originality.

There are also 2 rest days in there too so again, not totally accurate in my original post. And finally, i have received advice from those who have completed world tours - I just misjudged the way i presented the post in the first place. I certainly wont be making the mistake again...
Old 09-08-22, 11:59 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
So I guess that means you are not going to ask your question in the Touring subforum after all.

You could get some valuable insight especially concerns on your route, October temps in the mountains, fewer hours of daylight in the fall.

Riding 160km per day for 20 days is a massive undertaking. One that typically isn’t done with an urgent plea for a “lightweight” touring bike with only a small budget.

Call me skeptical and negative, I don’t really care, but it sure sounds like you are really looking for a free bike.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.