Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Motobecane Jubilee Sport question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 02:20 PM
geph0007 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, I have acquired a very nice 1984 Jubilee Sport . It is a very nice bike but still trying to decide. I am older and really like extension levers for the brakes and have put them on my 1983 Raleigh Super Course and Completion. The JS is a little more complicated. I would like to keep the original handlebar but it has a very nice thick blue fake stitched what appears to be one piece covering on the handlebars I hate to wreck it but does anyone know how to remove this ? My 1978 Super Mirage has pretty much the same covering but already has extensions. The other option is put other handle bars on say from a Super Mirage but again would rather keep these bars Will not let me post a picture Thanks
Old 09-20-22, 02:51 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Originally Posted by geph0007
Will not let me post a picture Thanks
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/26482546

Old 09-20-22, 02:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
See post #15 in this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ar-covers.html

Here is the text:
"I've had my covers off & on multiple times. To get them off, I squirt WD40 or equivalent underneath and massage it down the bar as I go, squirting more as needed. I also use a fine stiff wire as needed to help wick the lubricant further down, being careful not to puncture the cover. When I reinstall, I first clean all the former lubricant off, and I use a mild dish detergent solution or Windex as a lubricant. The idea of a water based lubricant is that it will eventually evaporate and allow the cover to firmly adhere to the bars with no slipping/squirming.

"I'm actually not a big fan of these covers, but since they are original to my GJ and are very durable, I don't mind putting in a little effort to preserve originality."

Note that the poster has a set with separate brake lever hoods, so your setup may be different (i.e. integrated lever hoods), so it may not be entirely applicable. There are other threads on this, I think.

Last edited by noobinsf; 09-20-22 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-20-22, 10:12 PM
geph0007 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, Thanks My hood covers are part of the bar cover. Thanks
Old 09-21-22, 06:38 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by geph0007
Hi, I have acquired a very nice 1984 Jubilee Sport . It is a very nice bike but still trying to decide. I am older and really like extension levers for the brakes and have put them on my 1983 Raleigh Super Course and Completion. The JS is a little more complicated. I would like to keep the original handlebar but it has a very nice thick blue fake stitched what appears to be one piece covering on the handlebars I hate to wreck it but does anyone know how to remove this ? My 1978 Super Mirage has pretty much the same covering but already has extensions. The other option is put other handle bars on say from a Super Mirage but again would rather keep these bars Will not let me post a picture Thanks
I have that same covering in black on a Motobecane - I took it off one bike and put in on another.

I think it's worth saving, even though it is quite a bother to take off, and possibly even more to get back on.

You will need a can of some spay lube with a straw - longer the better. I used WD40 because it's what I had, it works, and most if not all of it evaporates.
Loosen the lever bodies as much as possible. I took mine right out through the hoods, but they were a different shape and yours might not go; if they don't you can still do this but it's a bit more bother.
Starting at the stem, lift the cover and stick the straw as far under as you can. I do the straw by itself, and attach the can after.
Squirt some lube over the cover, take the straw out.
Grab and twist the cover back-and-forth and that will spread the lube around, and that section of the wrap will slide.
Squirt in from the brake-body holes and twist those bits.
When everything is slippery inside, and if the clamp is loose enough you can slowly work the sleeve off the end. You have to work the brake bodies/clamps along at the same time..
Don't forget to save the special end-plugs inside - they keep the bar end from cutting trough the sleeve end.

Installation is the reverse of the above procedure.
If you managed to get the bodies completely off it may be difficult to get the fixing-screw to engage the clamp-nut; a bit of soft squishy foam between the bar and the nut will push it out closer to the end of the incoming screw.

And if decide you don't want it (too much bother, doesn't fit/match colour/whatever), let me know, I really like mine and this one is blue? I has nice blue french bike being built...

Last edited by oneclick; 09-21-22 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-26-22, 12:48 PM
geph0007 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Thanks guys. I was able to get them off in about 12 minutes each . I out on levers and extensions form a 1976 Super Mirage and use a tape that i found that is a little lighter in color . One other thing. The extended pedals with straps and toe clips Would really like to take the toe clips off . I just keep thinking because the pedals are front heavy they may be hard to get a foot on easily?
Old 09-27-22, 05:12 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
You want toe clips.

Yes they rest topsy-turvy, but it's a simple trick to learn, toe-tapping the back of the pedal and sliding your foot in.

Without toe clips you have to do extra work to keep you foot on the pedal; with them you don't have to worry about that - even if the straps are loose (which mine are, most of the time).
Likes For oneclick:
Old 09-27-22, 05:21 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Toe clips , or traps and straps as I call them, are fine once you get used to them. It is a “muscle memory” type of action , after riding with them , it is second nature….for some. A plain flat pedal without clips can allow your foot to be too far forward on the pedal and when you turn your toe may interfere with the front tire. There are alternatives with more modern pedals but I have never used them. I will let someone else advise as I have been with the traps and straps since the seventies.
Old 09-27-22, 07:52 AM
geph0007 

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I had some a Raleigh Comp for awhile so I get all that I was thinking of maybe? replacing them with a pair of Atom 440s or something Maybe? On a side note I assume it is a French thread 14MM and not the 9/16? Thanks