Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Alternatives to Brooks saddle?

Old 02-24-19, 11:02 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Alternatives to Brooks saddle?

Looking for suggestions to alternatives (non leather) to the Brooks B17. Yes, I did google it. The recommendations I found on the Web did not seem to match the width/length of the B17. (Looking to match the feel, comfort, support) I am looking for a more light weight, non leather, alternation that will be comfortable for longer distances I am doing. Yeah, I know "everyones' sit bones are different". Just curious what others are using whom formally had Brooks and switched, or whom own a Brooks and another bike/saddle combo which feel similar.
Thanks.
Old 02-25-19, 04:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I have heard of people going to a fizik Aliante. I can't really imagine that with the same nose-up saddle position that works best with a B17 though. So it would be a learning process. Vintage Avocet women's saddles have the same shape as a B17. Don't know if there is a similar saddle available today.
Old 02-25-19, 09:39 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Look at Terry saddles. I use the Butterfly, and for me at least it is the most comfortable saddle I have for very long distances. Better than a B-17, which I also use. The Butterfly is the women’s model (shaped for our delicate butts) but Terry also makes the Fly for men, as well as the Liberator. Men's Touring Bike Saddles - Endurance Bike Seats | Terry.
Old 02-25-19, 10:07 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I've never ridden a leather brooks but I can say that I found the c17 cambium to be uncomfortable. My partner switched from a b17 to some generic looking Bontrager saddle and said she hasn't felt as good on the bike in a long time but hasn't done any long rides with yet, but has been on the trainer all winter which I find to be harder on the bum than riding outdoors. I switched to a specialized toupe and found it more pleasant. I use a 143mm but am going to go with a 155mm if I can find a used to see if it's more comfortable... the ass-o-meter at a local LBS put me in the middle of that range.
Old 02-25-19, 11:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I have heard people say that if you switch from leather to non-leather, you should use a narrower saddle because on the widest part of the leather saddle you have the metal frame, but it is unlikely that you are using that part of the saddle. If you have any friends with narrower non-leather saddles, you might want to try them to see how they fit you.

I can't suggest any saddles, I only use leather saddles.
Old 02-25-19, 12:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
FWIW Selle Anatomica is coming out with a rubber hammock saddle, the R2:

Not out yet, no reviews to be found.
Old 02-25-19, 01:30 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm basically an all-leather-saddle kind of rider, and have been for many years... but I have ridden too many wet brevets where I just got tired of the combination of wet clothes and a wet saddle. A wet leather saddle doesn't fit the same as a dry one.

So I started using a Cinelli Unicanitor CMX saddle, which is a hard plastic shell with a steel frame, currently available for around $50. The CMX is a little wider than the traditional Unicanitor saddle. Pretty close to a standard B17. [edit: I read online that the Unicanitor CMX measures 27 x 15 cm, which is shorter and narrower than a B17 Standard.]

The plastic in these seems to vary; some are harder than others. I don't know why that is.

I got a blue one last spring, and my first thought was it was too hard, so I cut an "imperial" style hole in the top:

After that I shaved down the top with woodworking tools, and eventually ended up with this:

I put thousands of miles on that saddle, including a 1200 and a 600 and a lot of shorter rides, and was very happy with the saddle, even when it was wet.

So recently I got another one, which (new) looked like this:

Again I've shaved a lot of plastic off the top, completely removing the Cinelli logo... after a while it looked like this:

I haven't decided whether that one will need an 'imperial' cutout.

I'm pretty happy with these generally. They breathe well enough, with the perforations, and they feel pretty much like a leather saddle. As with a leather saddle, I ride them with no padding in my shorts.

There are a lot of older saddles of this kind, some of which are quite good, others not; they are copies of the original Unicanitor, so narrower than the CMX one. I have one that I think is a Unica-Mex (there's no writing on it) and it is quite comfortable. I had an Arius one as well, but the plastic cracked. This isn't my photo, but you get the idea:

Last edited by rhm; 02-27-19 at 07:28 AM.
Likes For rhm:
Old 02-25-19, 02:33 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rhm
I'm basically an all-leather-saddle kind of rider, and have been for many years... but I have ridden too many wet brevets where I just got tired of the combination of wet clothes and a wet saddle. A wet leather saddle doesn't fit the same as a dry one.

So I started using a Cinelli Unicanitor CMX saddle, which is a hard plastic shell with a steel frame, currently available for around $50. The CMX is a little wider than the traditional Unicanitor saddle. Pretty close to a standard B17.

The plastic in these seems to vary; some are harder than others. I don't know why that is.

I got a blue one last spring, and my first thought was it was too hard, so I cut an "imperial" style hole in the top:

After that I shaved down the top with woodworking tools, and eventually ended up with this:

I put thousands of miles on that saddle, including a 1200 and a 600 and a lot of shorter rides, and was very happy with the saddle, even when it was wet.

So recently I got another one, which (new) looked like this:

Again I've shaved a lot of plastic off the top, completely removing the Cinelli logo... after a while it looked like this:

I haven't decided whether that one will need an 'imperial' cutout.

I'm pretty happy with these generally. They breathe well enough, with the perforations, and they feel pretty much like a leather saddle. As with a leather saddle, I ride them with no padding in my shorts.

There are a lot of older saddles of this kind, some of which are quite good, others not; they are copies of the original Unicanitor, so narrower than the CMX one. I have one that I think is a Unica-Mex (there's no writing on it) and it is quite comfortable. I had an Arius one as well, but the plastic cracked. This isn't my photo, but you get the idea:
Crazy coincidence, I just put a Cinelli Mod 50 on eBay, and here on CL for sale. I actually never used it. Guess i should pull it and try it out.
Old 02-25-19, 03:12 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 133 Posts
Totally third hand, but I did see a video which mentioned Charge Spoon, Charge Ladle, Specialized Toupe, and Fizik Aliante VS by the pathlesspedaled guy.

Old 02-25-19, 06:18 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rgvg
Totally third hand, but I did see a video which mentioned Charge Spoon, Charge Ladle, Specialized Toupe, and Fizik Aliante VS by the pathlesspedaled guy.
Thanks. I saw this video. But, I investigated each of the saddle/seats; got the specs on them. They don't seem to match up vis a vis the width. But, than again, the Brook B17 is approx 170mm wide and there is likely very few options that are similar in that regard.
Old 02-25-19, 06:20 PM
vintagerando

The Charge Spoon is an option. But, I just wonder what do you get for $28, the retail on the Spoon. What sort of quality can you get at that price?
Old 02-25-19, 06:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
SQLabs have some options that come close. (611 and 612). They offer a variety of widths, and give instructions on how to measure the distance between your ischial protuberances.
Old 02-26-19, 08:44 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode a Brooks Colt and was happy with it. Then I bought a new bike that came with a Fabric Scoop Shallow saddle. I decided to keep it for the time being, waiting to see if it would be as comfortable as the Colt. Until now I've ridden more than 2000 km on it, with a longest ride of 210 km, and I cannot say that I experience much of a difference between the Scoop and the Colt. It works certainly better on wet rides though.
Old 02-26-19, 10:36 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've heard good things about the Infinity saddles
Old 02-26-19, 10:49 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
Brooks C17. Brooks fit, Brooks comfort, non-leather. And so far, mine (I have 3) seem to be lasting better than B17's as well.

SP "Brooks butt"
OC, OR
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 02-26-19, 10:40 PM
VeloFello

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooks

I use and highly endorse the B17 on my touring rig and I use the C17 "all-weather" on my steel road bikes. My gluteus maximus feels golden. 😎
Likes For VeloFello:
Old 02-27-19, 05:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
VeloFello, welcome to the forum
Old 02-27-19, 12:04 PM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vintagerando
The Charge Spoon is an option. But, I just wonder what do you get for $28, the retail on the Spoon. What sort of quality can you get at that price?
It is a surprisingly good saddle. But at some point, I reckon personal to the cyclist, some of the stitchings on show will wear through and it will look battered. I have a couple of thousand kilometers on mine though, without problems.

Much prefer the Brooks B17 by the by. But that simply isn't the right saddle for all bikes, especially not the ones driven all year round in all kinds of weather.
Old 02-27-19, 12:32 PM
vintagerando

The more I look into saddle/seat options....the more confusing it gets. I didnt realize there can be options within one model. And, of course, makers have muliple options; so its options within options.
SqLabs must have 20 or 30 models; WTB another 20, etc. Fizik, etc.
Maybe I need to travel a bit and find a larger shop that carries a broad selection and try stuff out.
Old 02-27-19, 12:51 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

The more I look into saddle/seat options....the more confusing it gets. I didnt realize there can be options within one model. And, of course, makers have muliple options; so its options within options.
SqLabs must have 20 or 30 models; WTB another 20, etc. Fizik, etc.
Maybe I need to travel a bit and find a larger shop that carries a broad selection and try stuff out.
Yup.

I can't tell you how many times I've read, on this forum, comparisons between the "B17" and other saddles, without ever specifying what a "B17" is. Well, the comparison may be valid, or not; but at many times there have been more than one versions of the B17, and of course they have been making them for over a century, and a lot of the ones in use today are several decades old. It's not always obvious how old a saddle is.
Old 02-27-19, 01:44 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rhm
Yup.

I can't tell you how many times I've read, on this forum, comparisons between the "B17" and other saddles, without ever specifying what a "B17" is. Well, the comparison may be valid, or not; but at many times there have been more than one versions of the B17, and of course they have been making them for over a century, and a lot of the ones in use today are several decades old. It's not always obvious how old a saddle is.
The B17 I have is 3 years old. Have you owned one? Any recommendations on similar saddles? Thanks.
Old 02-27-19, 01:46 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

The B17 I have is 3 years old. Have you owned one? Any recommendations on similar saddles? Thanks.
Yes, have a Champion Standard that I bought new in 2007, it didn't hold up well for me so I put it on my wife's bike and she's happy with it. I rode an early 70's Champion Narrow for several years, but it eventually failed. I find the standard to be too wide, but I like the narrow. Which model do you have?

Last edited by rhm; 02-27-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-27-19, 02:04 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Within Brooks lineup of leather saddles there are others to choose from too. B17 is popular for a lot of people, especially for bike touring. I bought one many years ago and it worked well for me when I was sitting more upright, but it felt too wide when I used the drops on drop handlebars. Also, decades ago I had used a Brooks Pro on a different bike, that saddle is narrower and that felt good when I use the drops.

Now, years and bikes later, I have a few bikes with the Brooks Conquest which is very similar to a Brooks Pro in shape, but has springs. And I have a couple of Brooks Pro saddles on other bikes.

To me almost any saddle will feel good at first, but after 50 miles you can tell if it is a good saddle for you and your bike or not.
Old 02-27-19, 02:52 PM
vintagerando

Originally Posted by rhm
Yes, have a Champion Standard that I bought new in 2007, it didn't hold up well for me so I put it on my wife's bike and she's happy with it. I rode an early 70's Champion Narrow for several years, but it eventually failed. I find the standard to be too wide, but I like the narrow. Which model do you have?

Standard
Old 02-27-19, 09:13 PM
VeloFello

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
VeloFello, welcome to the forum
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.