Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Comanche Point Road.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Comanche Point Road.

Old 04-29-20, 08:52 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Comanche Point Road.

I posted a few pics in the “Touring Pics” thread yesterday, but that didn’t really show or explain this ride very well. 😉 Basically, if you want to get from the Los Angeles area, up to Bakersfield & points North, you have 2 options. If you’re in a car, you just jump on I-5 & drive up. Or if you’re bicycling, you can get to Tehachapi then Stallion Springs pretty easily.

What catches you unawares, is the last road across the mountains, Comanche Point Road. 😁 It looks like a narrow country road, on Google maps, that does go all the ways through to Arvin, a suburb of Bakersfield. But what Google didn’t mention, lol, is that it’s barely useable, even for Jeeps & such. 🙄😉
EDIT: Keep in mind, on the bad sections, you can’t just stop for pics, lol, these are some “mild” ruts here.

But being a hard-headed person, I went that way, anyways. In the 22 mile trip, I saw 3 vehicles and 1 hiker, who looked a lot like Sasquatch. 😁😉 And many cows. Towards the end of the trail, I saw one of those cows, that got herself lost on the side of a steep mountainside. She was mooing her head off, looking for help, when I saw her. Eventually, she tried following me, though there was a big valley between us, and that got her headed back up the mountain, where she must have come from. 🤔

I also found a huge feather, which two older white guys in a Jeep told me was either an Eagle feather or a Turkey Vulture feather. So unless someone can prove otherwise, I’m claiming this is an Eagle feather. 😁

There are 4 or 5 of these gates to pass through, and at first I wasn’t sure I was allowed to go through them, lol, but the signs saying Close The Gate Behind You kinda cleared that up. 😉

Anyways, here are several pics. I didn’t want to clutter up the other thread TOO much. 😁

Last edited by stardognine; 04-29-20 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-29-20, 08:56 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

And more.

Likes For stardognine:
Old 04-29-20, 01:33 PM
JayKay3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
I don't see any pictures. I look forward to seeing them though.
Old 04-29-20, 02:12 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Thank you for sharing this knowledge and these images! As a SoCal cyclist who has done some regional solo tours in CA (and elsewhere in the West), I have noticed this road on maps and wondered what it might be like. Very valuable info and photos here.
Old 04-29-20, 02:54 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by RandomlyWest
Thank you for sharing this knowledge and these images! As a SoCal cyclist who has done some regional solo tours in CA (and elsewhere in the West), I have noticed this road on maps and wondered what it might be like. Very valuable info and photos here.
No problem, glad someone else found this useful. 😎 The one caution I might add is, bring plenty of liquids, if it’s a warm day. And maybe a sandwich. And make sure your tires & brakes are up to it, lol. 😁

Jay, something must be blocking images on your end. Are you at work or school, maybe? 🤔