Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Now a Good Time to Cash Out?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Now a Good Time to Cash Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 11:59 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
you might want to store it in case the urge to ride returns, just saying
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 06-13-20, 04:55 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
my love is waning and i'm thinking of selling out bike kit & tools accumulated in the past ten years.

given there is no value in used sports equipment in general, is there any point or do I just toss it all in the bin?

in some absurd way, I would more satisfaction out of the latter than having someone offer me 5 cents on the dollar.
one thing I've learned in my old age, is never get rid of bicycles and never get rid of tools. I've done both and regretted them both. I gave away a mountain bike to a friend, which I regret because I could have used it for riding around town. when you get rid of tools the next week you realize the tool that you got rid of is the one you need right now. And then usually you go out and buy the same tool that you got rid of.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-13-20, 06:28 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
OP, where in creation are you located? I'll bet there are forum members near by that would help with the dispersal. Let us know. BTW, I'm also a grouchy 68 yrs old but not slowing down, especially during the new normal. My plan is that lots of hard cycling is my best defense against "you know what" which has NOT just gone away. My mileage is going up, not down.

I find it's also great to "blow my brains out" by just turning cranks, all by myself, out in the woods and wind, let the miles and the breeze and the quiet blow out the worry and stress. As the great philosopher Charlie Brown once said - some times you just need to take your mind outta gear and let it coast.
Old 06-13-20, 08:44 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
When I was a collegiate racer I got tons of help on this and other forums when stuff broke and I was having a hard time replacing it.

10-12 years later, I've linked up with the local college team and I've offered to chip in gas money and help fund a few things if they need it. I'm not wealthy and I have a ton of student debt, but I remember how much it helped me back in the day. I can't imagine not hooking them up with deals etc.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-13-20, 01:43 PM
southpier

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
one thing I've learned in my old age, is never get rid of bicycles and never get rid of tools. I've done both and regretted them both. I gave away a mountain bike to a friend, which I regret because I could have used it for riding around town. when you get rid of tools the next week you realize the tool that you got rid of is the one you need right now. And then usually you go out and buy the same tool that you got rid of.
one thing I've learned is them bastids'll sell your remains at the yard sale for beer money. let'em go buy their own junk I say!
Old 06-14-20, 08:46 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Donate it. You'll feel better about yourself.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-14-20, 02:13 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1, donate to bike co op .if it's 501 c3 its a tax deduction , blow up that deficit.
There have been several of these suggestions, I couldn't agree more. We have one of these co-ops here in Philly called Neighborhood Bike Works. They are a 501 c3, offer open stand nights where you can work on your own bike using their tools and assistance from their mechanics. They have one stand night a week set aside for women. For the kids, they teach the kids how to build/maintain a bike which the kids get to keep in the end. I have heard about similar programs in other areas as well.
Old 06-14-20, 03:51 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I was looking for a jig saw the other day and found lots of stuff I'd forgotten I had, including a brand new XTR 12-32 8 spd.cassette, brand new LX rear der, Alivio front der, new 7 & 8 spd shifters & cables, but keeping them for now--still have the old mtn bike, and if parts break, lots easier to have parts than to find them, especially for older models. The 7 speed stuff I can use if I find an old 7 spd mtn bike to convert to a hybrid. If I don't use it, there is a co-op in town that might be able to use it. If I had been looking for a part, I'd probably not have found it, but let me be looking for something else........... The storage tubs are now marked with contents.
Old 06-14-20, 07:17 PM
southpier

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
the purge has become; initial ad in FS section
Old 06-14-20, 09:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)