Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your worst cycling decision in 2020 so far...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Your worst cycling decision in 2020 so far...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 02:43 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Last month I noticed a damaged section on my front tire (tubeless), it was holding air so I continued on my planned route, but it started spraying sealant on a descent. I was able to stop and give it a few moments to cure, but the leaking kept restarting as I rode. I did make it home (thanks Orange Seal) but I should have headed straight home as soon as I saw how badly the tire was damaged. The tire was close to worn out anyway, so the worst of it was just an extensive bike cleaning to get all the sealant off the bike.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 06-25-20, 04:01 PM
powermatt99

Bikes: Felt VR5, '85 Trek 520, '84 Trek 890

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Putting both water bottles in the freezer until two minutes before the ride starts.
My wife did this trying to be helpful. Not so helpful when the temp is 65°F and you have no liquid water for the first 40k.
Likes For powermatt99:
Old 06-25-20, 04:07 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Not buying a mountain bike I was looking at back in Apr. I just bought a new road bike in Feb. and wanted to space the purchases out a bit. But then COVID-19 hit, everybody bought bikes, no replacements are available and the dealer floor is now full of customers bikes waiting for service.
Likes For August West:
Old 06-25-20, 04:53 PM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Taking the wrong road home from work, getting hit from behind, and left on the ground with a concussion.
Ouch! How are you doing now?
Old 06-25-20, 04:56 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Putting both water bottles in the freezer until two minutes before the ride starts.
Originally Posted by walnutz
I do this on purpose but I live in Texas
+1

I hate when I look in my freezer, and there's no frozen CamelBak ICE bottles ready to go.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-25-20, 05:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10419 Post(s)
Liked 11,877 Times in 6,083 Posts
Going for an hour-plus ride on a 90 degree day without any water, either with me or at the car when I got back to it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-25-20, 06:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
Ouch! How are you doing now?
Kind of you to ask. Fine, just missing about 3 minutes of my life and they probably weren't very good ones, but at age 64, I can't afford another bump.
Old 06-25-20, 06:37 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

standard practice for me. By mile 5 completely melted.
Old 06-25-20, 09:09 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
standard practice for me. By mile 5 completely melted.
I fill them about 2/3 full and put them in the freezer on their sides tipped up slightly. Then just before departure I fill them the rest of the way with cold water. Gives me water available right away but ice still lasts a long time.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 06-25-20, 10:32 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I bought a new commuter bike in early March. Just after shelter in place orders were given and I started working from home. I don’t mind having it but I have yet to commute a single day on it, and don’t see that happening this year.
Likes For cp88mb1:
Old 06-26-20, 06:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Deciding to log onto the 41 instead of going for a ride. Ugh.
Likes For znomit:
Old 06-26-20, 06:36 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Worst cycling decision this year was skipping group rides for 2.5 months.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-26-20, 09:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
So far my worst decision was trying to explain to two people walking together that they didn't have to stop and stand on each side of the trail when from 100 feet behind them I called "bike back" to alert them of my presence. All I wanted them to do was move over to the right of the center line while continuing to walk so I could pass on the left as is the MUP's posted guidelines.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-26-20, 11:25 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
Buying a used smart trainer. I didn't have much of a choice at the time, because all the retailers were sold out of what I wanted, and so far it has turned out well, but dropping $900 on a used Neo 2T was stressful after I realized how much strain people can put on a trainer. They can also potentially have a myriad of issues.
I wouldn't recommend spending more than $200 to $300 on a used smart trainer.
Good luck finding a working smart trainer for that much! Especially one of those!
Old 06-26-20, 03:25 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Just remembered another one: Sold a BikesDirect Windsor Tourist (usually no resale value) on Craigslist last week and based on the responses, I probably could have posted it for double what I asked. That being said the buyer and I both ended up happy. It was crazy, I posted a few bike things that day and they sold immediately.
Old 06-27-20, 11:00 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
A combination of:
  • Getting back the bike after several years off.
  • Waiting until summer to actually get back on said bike.
  • Growing a quarantine beard before getting back on bike.
  • Not shaving said quarantine beard before getting back on said bike.
All in all, could be worse; I just don't have many cycling decisions to pick from this year.
Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-28-20, 04:02 AM
Mv350

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I stripped down my Kona Wheelhouse, to build up my new frame set. The only thing off the Kona I kept were the wheels. Now my Wheelhouse is in pieces, for no good darn reason. Other than now I can build a steel single speed maybe.
Old 06-28-20, 10:38 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Thinking that when a bolt is cross-threaded on a brand new fork that just one more turn and it will even out - Turns out it broke off and between me and the lbs we couldn't get it out.

Although I sold the fork for not much less that the replacement cost after I gave up so I didn't loose too much, just a bunch of time.
Old 06-29-20, 06:49 AM
Captain266

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GCN on YouTube had a video about rolling resistance and tire width, pressure, and the science behind it you might be interested in.
Old 06-29-20, 06:53 AM
Captain266

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Taking the wrong road home from work, getting hit from behind, and left on the ground with a concussion.
I am SO SORRY to hear this. Can you please share with us your story so we can try and learn or at least just realize that sometimes bad “accidents” happen even if it’s not our faults. I really hope you are not going to be permanently hurt from this...
Old 06-29-20, 06:55 AM
Captain266

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Not really a regret, well maybe. I replaced my tires with GP5000 700x23. I am wondering if the 25’s or even 28’s may have been a more logical choice.
GCN on YouTube had a video about rolling resistance and tire width, pressure, and the science behind it you might be interested in.
I’ve been interested in buying a Checkpoint or a Madone also...any experience with them?
Old 06-29-20, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Drinking too much alcohol the night before a ride. I'm in that age group where you just realized that Saturday and Sunday mornings are meant for doing things other than sleeping and/or recovering from hangovers, but you still want to maintain your social life on the Friday and Saturday nights. Can't have best of both worlds, that's for sure!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-29-20, 07:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain266
I am SO SORRY to hear this. Can you please share with us your story so we can try and learn or at least just realize that sometimes bad “accidents” happen even if it’s not our faults. I really hope you are not going to be permanently hurt from this...
Okay.

Riding home from work, 1400 hrs on 24 Jan. Light overcast, but good viz. Black and white vest over blue wool jacket, white helmet, black tights, white shoes, daylight-visible blinker.

Road is a lightly traveled 4-lane parkway with a 35 mph limit. I moved from the right side of the right lane to the left lane, preparing to take a left turn. As was my ingrained habit, I first looked over my left shoulder for traffic and saw none. My next clear memory is standing up and speaking to some samaritans who witnessed the crash and stopped. They described a "fancy" white SUV knocking me down and continuing without slowing.

I had a huge bruise on my right buttock and a milder one on the left. There were and bruises and abrasions on both elbows and I had pressure injuries of both ulnar nerves, which cleared over a week. My clothes were torn in multiple places on the left side. My helmet had a big scratch on the left side and was broken near the top, over the center of my head. I had a scalp abrasion through my cap on the top of my head. I started making clear memories within minutes of the crash. I asked the people who stopped if I was speaking clearly and rationally and they said yes. I had no headache, or sleep, cognitive, or mood disturbance. The only damage to the bike was a scrape on the left brake lever.

I reported the event to local and park police with no results. I started avoiding that piece of road when commuting, but I'm on it all the time anyway. I was pretty jumpy for a while and my faith in the humanity and altruism of my affluent, liberal neighbors has been considerably shaken, but nothing has really changed.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-29-20, 08:36 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Can I ask why this was a bad decision? I've been thinking about putting some water in my water bottles and putting them in the freezer a few hours before my ride. This was as the ice melts, it will keep the water cool. Is this not a good plan?

As for me? Worst decision was buying a long sleeve jersey that was final sale. I didn't trust the sizing chart and ended up with a jersey that was too big. A quick trip to the tailor fixed my gaff, but wrecked any savings I might have enjoyed.
Old 06-29-20, 12:27 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Making whatever miscalculation it was that lead to me getting t boned by a car, getting up and carrying my bike to work 20 minutes away, working a full 10 hour shift, and then walking home. Bike was miraculously fine though the rear brake was trashed. I'm at 98% two weeks later and the damaged rear brake gave me an excuse to throw some Dura-Ace breaks on a singlespeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.