Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike science: more than 1 way to turn a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike science: more than 1 way to turn a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 01:44 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
It's Monry Python all over again.

I posted a video that shows what it shows. I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-21-21, 01:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I posted a video that shows what it shows. I'll leave it at that.
Yeah, it shows countersteering.

You make a slowish, long-radius turn to the right at 1:40. There's bit of countersteer at the start of it. It's often something people are not aware of doing.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 2:58

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 3:39 (there's another countersteer in the middle of the turn).

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 5:34.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 5:53.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:09.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:12.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:18.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:23.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:28.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 6:40. This one is interesting because its showing how the countersteer for the upcoming turn comes from ending the prior turn. In this turn, you turn the bar left much more than you need to for that left turn (the bars are tweaked a bit more to the left). That's the countersteer for the turn you make to the right. The turns on this ride often obscure the countersteering that is going on.

I bet I missed many more.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-21 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-21-21, 02:03 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by terrymorse
You could post as many videos as you want showing what you think is steering without counter steering.

But "steering without counter steering" is also known as "falling down while riding a bike".

The Counterintuitive Physics of Turning a Bike
Did you ever consider, that when somone makes a video to show an effect they may over emphasize that effect? Like the Rene Herse video before it one could just as easily make those turns without the exaggerated swoop effect

Originally Posted by njkayaker
Yeah, it shows countersteering.

You make a slowish, long-radius turn to the right at 1:40. There's bit of countersteer at the start of it. It's often something people are not aware of doing.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 2:58

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 3:39 (there's another countersteer in the middle of the turn).

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 5:34.

You countersteer at the start of the turn at 5:53.
Sure man.. sure. That's what's happening alright. All those counter turns

If it's something so many people are unaware of why consciously practice it? It happens sub consciously to the point you can't even see it.
Old 05-21-21, 02:17 PM
njkayaker

Sure man.. sure. That's what's happening alright. All those counter turns
They are pretty apparent if you know to look for them. It's an experience thing.

If it's something so many people are unaware of why consciously practice it?
You practice because you can get better at it (obviously). If you countersteer more deliberately, you can make sharper/quicker turns.

It happens sub consciously to the point you can't even see it.
I can see it (in your video).
Old 05-21-21, 02:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This debate on how to make a turn on a bicycle is going to discourage all the newbies and potential cyclists from picking up the hobby of cycling because they're going to think that they have to take a science class and a special course and get a special app to learn how to make a simple turn on a bicycle...
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-21-21, 02:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This debate on how to make a turn on a bicycle is going to discourage all the newbies and potential cyclists from picking up the hobby of cycling because they're going to think that they have to take a science class and a special course and get a special app to learn how to make a simple turn on a bicycle...

And somehow, 4 year olds can do it. That pre-K physics course must be something, huh?
Old 05-21-21, 02:23 PM
Happy Feet

Most people steer bicycles without ever having heard about it.

A solution in search of a problem.
Old 05-21-21, 02:30 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I've never heard anything about the right way or wrong way of steering a bicycle....Over the years I just developed the feel for how to steer a bicycle in different types of terrain and weather conditions and I developed my own style and technique.
Old 05-21-21, 02:32 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And somehow, 4 year olds can do it. That pre-K physics course must be something, huh?
Yes, 4 year olds are expert cyclists.

Most people not very skilled cyclists too.
Old 05-21-21, 02:39 PM
njkayaker

This thread doesn't really belong here.

In any case, most people (including newbies) already think they know all they need to know about cycling and are stuck not being very good (or as good as they could be).

The real sad thing about this thread isn't that newbies will be discouraged from riding but that they are being encouraged to think don't need to do anything much to be better (by two people who don't know enough).

I've never heard anything about the right way or wrong way of steering a bicycle....Over the years I just developed the feel for how to steer a bicycle in different types of terrain and weather conditions and I developed my own style and technique.
Why require people to learn by themselves "over the years", when they can learn stuff more quickly from other people?

===============

Many people ride many miles and many years without knowing (or using) the "proper" way to start their bike. That indicates that people's ability to learn things on their own isn't very reliable.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-21 at 02:53 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-21-21, 02:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
If there is any skill a cyclist needs to learn it's not holding on to the bars like death. Or as I like to say, the bike knows which way to go. If you have a relaxed hold on the bars, the steering mechanics take care of themselves. There are videos of riderless bikes that show this natural phenomenon. The videos of cyclists intentionally countersteering in this thread make me think they are going to crash. Nobody turns with an exaggerated movement like that. You can watch downhill racers all day and not see anything like that.

A motorcycle really wants to stay upright and go straight. You have to force it into a lean, and it needs to lean to turn. Otherwise it will flop the wrong way when the rider turns. The rider does that by steering it out from under the rider's center of gravity in the direction opposite of the desired lean.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-21-21, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
If there is any skill a cyclist needs to learn it's not holding on to the bars like death. Or as I like to say, the bike knows which way to go. If you have a relaxed hold on the bars, the steering mechanics take care of themselves. There are videos of riderless bikes that show this natural phenomenon. The videos of cyclists intentionally countersteering in this thread make me think they are going to crash. Nobody turns with an exaggerated movement like that. You can watch downhill racers all day and not see anything like that.

A motorcycle really wants to stay upright and go straight. You have to force it into a lean, and it needs to lean to turn. Otherwise it will flop the wrong way when the rider turns. The rider does that by steering it out from under the rider's center of gravity in the direction opposite of the desired lean.
Funny, I just posted in another thread about coming back to riding after an illness layup and realizing I was unconsciously putting a death grip on my hoods. I think it's a classic counterproductive thing people do when they're feeling insecure.
Old 05-21-21, 02:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I always wanted to give one of these bikes a shot

Old 05-21-21, 03:00 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Most people aren't great riders too.

People don't (usually) do what is shown in the videos. The point is to make what is going clear and to show that more than just the default can be done.

Keep in mind that some people here deny that countersteering occurs.

It might be more crucial to practice deliberately for certain types of riding (like criterion racing) than others.

https://coachob.com/1638/
Old 05-21-21, 03:01 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

A solution in search of a problem.

The word 'most' is a good choice here.

My partner (of 25+ years) has yet to learn how to turn a bike properly. She is truly a menace to both herself and those around her when it comes to any type of cornering acumen. And like so many with such an affliction, trying to explain to them how to do it properly only makes their end result more unlikely to yield positive results.
Old 05-21-21, 03:13 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel

My partner (of 25+ years) has yet to learn how to turn a bike properly. She is truly a menace to both herself and those around her when it comes to any type of cornering acumen. And like so many with such an affliction, trying to explain to them how to do it properly only makes their end result more unlikely to yield positive results.
What's being discussed here requires a base level of competence. It's a talking about a refinement of a skill people (who can ride) already have.

No one here is suggesting to start people without skill to start with this discussion.

(People don't learn carving the first time they are on skis either.)
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-21-21, 03:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
So can I. I ride often using cameras and recorders so riding no hands for good lengths of times is very helpful. As well as removing the helmet checking for bees etc. I can ride for a mile without touching the bars if I didn't have to brake.

This should be a thread in itself seeing how many riders are scared to ride no hands. I guess guys around my age have too much think fluid in their skulls. I guess that explains a lot!
Also good skill to "Faire le pee pee"
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-21-21, 03:15 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,493 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I always wanted to give one of these bikes a shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFzDaBzBlL0
Ah, yes; The Destin Sandlin Counter-Steering Bike (TM).
It does the counter-steering automatically for you!
Old 05-21-21, 03:28 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel

Yes.

I could also see someone thinking they need to consciously practice counter turning to be a better rider and starting to put them into all sorts of unrelated turns and confusing others if on a group ride.

I don't think anyone said counter turning doesn't happen, well, I'll speak for myself anyway. Consciously, it is a technique for certain situations that I have described several times.

Some have said it always happens and you can't turn otherwise and then backed off that by putting all sorts of caveats into the equation to the point of saying when you don't lean. Very few people don't lean when turning because, as I.said, it would feel like riding a tricycle. Even on a tricycle you want to lean but can't and are more prone to tipping outward because of it

I also said some are using the term counter turn to describe counter balance. This is what some say they are seeing in my videos. I ride a twitchy bike and often counter balance by using the bars but rarely am deliberately steering one way to go the other. When I do that it's usually to increase the radius of a tight turn by first moving outward.

Now we are into the "appeal to authority" stage where it's a technique so advanced that the uneducated cannot understand what the experts are saying.

One poster is right that this doesn't really belong in general cycling. Those strong proponents of it are either relating it to racing or motorcycle riding. Not what most/many general cyclists are doing.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 05-21-21 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 03:33 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Riding no hands is a good skill when a bee enters your jersey when descending at 40 mph and decides to sting you wantonly, until you slap the honey out of it with both hands.

Wait, do I tilt left? Should I squash his little butt with the right hand?
Old 05-21-21, 03:43 PM
njkayaker

I could also see someone thinking they need to consciously practice counter turning to be a better rider and starting to put them into all sorts of unrelated turns and confusing others if on a group ride.
Yes, because the only place people can practice is on a group ride. (This is a specious reason not to practice something.)

Now we are into the "appeal to authority" stage where it's a technique so advanced that the uneducated cannot understand what the experts are saying.
Contrast that with the "appeal to people who don't know enough".

It's not "so advanced" either. It's regularly taught to beginner motorcyclists.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-21-21, 03:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3414 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,783 Posts
Did you ever consider, that when somone makes a video to show an effect they may over emphasize that effect?
Yes, and what? That somehow invalidates the physics being demonstrated?

The effect of counter steer is to keep the bike balanced.

I just did a twisty and fast road descent. Didn’t shift my weight once to turn the bike. I counter steered to lean the bike, which then turned precisely and smoothly.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-21-21 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-21-21, 03:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You can countersteer (and make the bars rotate) without touching the bars.

Countersteering is about the direction of the wheel. Not pushing or pulling the bars.
You should try to carve a precise corner going 30-40 mph down a mountain descent, without using the bars. Good luck with that.
Old 05-21-21, 04:06 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, and what? That somehow invalidates the physics being demonstrated?

The effect is to keep the bike balanced.

I just did a twisty and fast road descent. Didn’t shift my weight once to turn the bike. I counter steered to lean the bike, which then turned.
That's how I do it. Sit normally, hands in the drops and counter steer. I lived in Highlands Ranch, CO for 7 years. I rode up and down Deer Creek Canyon Rd, a 10 mile climb, 100 times a year for 7 years. Never cooked a corner, but did slide out once, due to sand on the road. My MSF training was put to use on every descent. I've negotiated corners with one hand held open. All you do is push on the right side to turn right, then let up to allow the bike to quit turning at the end of a corner. No body English required.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 05-21-21, 04:13 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You should try to carve a precise corner going 30-40 mph down a mountain descent, without using the bars. Good luck with that.
Really?

All I was talking about was that the handlebar moves when riding no-handed. Not the silly nonsense you are imaging I said.

Again, countersteering is the wheel/handlebar pointed to the outside of the turn momentarily at the start.

There are all sorts of ways to make it turn. That doesn't mean all ways will work in all circumstances.

Sheesh.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-21-21 at 04:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.