Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Pacific Nor'westers - Log in Here

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Pacific Nor'westers - Log in Here

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 11:46 PM
knittykitty

Bikes: Robin Hood Sports 3 Speed, 1982/83 Corsaro(?) Mixte, Raleigh Twenty Folder (project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JacobLee
Welcome! Good luck with the fenders! You might try a phone app, like Ride With GPS. It’s been a great motivator for me, along with posting pics on the C&V forum. Have a great winter!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out that app!
Old 10-25-20, 07:23 PM
sequimboy

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix triple/2015 Scott Solace compact

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Below freezing in Sequim today

We got hit with an unusual low-temperature today, 30f. At least there wasn't any frost on the Olympic Discovery Tail or the local back roads. Gloves we too light even coupled with a hand warmer, but the addition of vinyl under gloves made it tolerable. On the positive, it was light winds and sunny. The weather looks good for next week, including being warmer.
Old 11-03-20, 02:31 PM
kphelan

Bikes: 2018 Bianchi Orso

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vashon Island, WA here. I retired to Vashon in 2016 after 30 years of living in the Midwest. Absolutely love the PNW. Vashon is an island in the middle of Puget Sound, about the size of Manhattan but with only ~10,000 residents. It is only reachable by ferry or boat, has only 2-way roads, no traffic lights or meters, and is quite hilly, covered with small family farms. It is a wonderful place to bike, and is a bit of a cyclist destination for tourists. The hills, however, are relentless in reminding me that I am a Medicare man. All good I say, and w/o challenges this wouldn't be as much fun, right?

I returned to riding, after an adult lifetime off, in 2017 after buying a Rad Mini e-bike on a lark. That led to buying a Bianchi Orso steel gravel bike in early '18, which I have been riding and modifying since. I've been influenced by the BQ, Radavist, Path-Less-Pedaled crowd. The Bianchi now sports 650b wheels and Rene Herse 650bx47 ultralight tires.
Old 11-09-20, 03:23 PM
SquireBlack 

Bikes: '66 Lygie, '02 Rivendell Atlantis, '03 Air Friday, '21 Black Shadow Campeur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kphelan
The Bianchi now sports 650b wheels and Rene Herse 650bx47 ultralight tires.
I've become a total convert to wider tires. Back when I started cycling, in the early 1970s, 27" x 1⅜" was the norm. That's 35mm. Of course,I went down to 23mm with the rest of the crowd ... but now I'm back to 38–45mm depending on the bike. It's so much more comfortable, and not a whit slower.

I remember Vashon from when I lived in Seattle. What a great place to retire to!
Old 11-16-20, 08:44 PM
BurleyCat
Qfactor

Bikes: Santa Cruz, Bridgestone, Raleigh, Rudge, Specialized, Burley, Schwinn

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Coastie

Originally Posted by 55/Rad
There are many of us and I would love to put together a master list.

Let your presence be known and tell us what part of the area you hail from.

Me - Sherwood Oregon. 20 miles southwest of downtown Portland. Makes for a great commute.

55/Rad
Bike commute days are over, retired in Nehalem, Tillamook County. Too many tourists on the road during the dry season. Not enough bike lanes, or even a fog line, with the exception of Hwy 101 (Pacific Coast Highway). Some wonderful scenery tho’...
Old 12-24-20, 12:46 PM
kbar1982

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey 1x12 27.5x3, Diamondback Haanjo Metro

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hello! I'm in far NE CA, the southern Oregon/Northern California/NW Nevada area that's in between all the other designations. But anyone who knows the area knows it's outdoors paradise year round, I love it here! I am a long time rider, but new to decent bikes, and obviously never looking back. I got hooked on trails on borrowed + bikes, got my own Surly fat bike and that thing is my soul mate. And of course I can't resist pavement, I love the sound of pavement whining for hours on end, it's therapeutic, so now welcoming a Diamondback Haanjo Metro, maybe not the best, but it was free and it'll fit the ticket of pavement/gravel bike for now. I love road tripping, meeting new people, and exploring different places. I'm currently a fat-fit Athena though, so not into serious riding as of yet. But chugging along back to a resting HR of 45 where I used to be. I work in emergency healthcare and love cycling for the anxiety burning, time efficient cardio; I can start the day salty as a sailor, spend a few hours on the Surly and end up sweet as a rose lol!! Before I ended up with covid and got knocked out for going on a month, I tail rode once or twice a week, and never under 10mi, probably going to be awhile before I'm up to that again, I'm looking forward to starting back out easy on the Haanjo and green trails on the Surly. So far I've had a great experience with this forum, thanks so much for being an awesome group that isn't mean about repetitive dumb newbie questions!
Old 12-24-20, 01:04 PM
DarkMonohue

Bikes: 1989 Trek 7000, 1992 Bianchi Project 5

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kbar1982
Hello! I'm in far NE CA, the southern Oregon/Northern California/NW Nevada area that's in between all the other designations. But anyone who knows the area knows it's outdoors paradise year round...
As a Trinity County expat, I had to say hello. And I agree, the whole region is its own kind of amazing. Glad to hear you are past the 'rona and ready to get back to it.
Likes For DarkMonohue:
Old 05-15-21, 07:31 PM
bolgre11

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Schwinn LeTour, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Trek 560, 1985 Trek 510, 1985 Trek 720, 1992 Trek T100, 1993 Trek 990

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in the WA south sound area, around Oympia / Tumwater. I commute daily to work, and regularly ride in and around the area, sometimes going up to Tacoma or Puyallup, or heading the other direction onto the peninsula. When I can, i'll get out to the coast (as far south as Cape Disappointment / Astoria) and ride out that way.
Old 05-23-21, 11:07 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts
Hello from way North in Fairbanks. Short summers and no winter biking for me. Hope to me in America for the coming winter so that will extend the season.

Regards,

Mike
Old 06-06-21, 02:47 PM
Stetr24VW

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Kirkland, WA here 👋

Getting back into cycling after a few years off to nurse some injuries from soccer and snowboarding. I've always ridden vintage steel. It's what I started with as a kid and I like that I can maintain and keep 30+ year old bikes alive with basic tools. Currently ride an '84 Univega and '86 Trek 560 and working on an '85 Peugeot P8 resto-modded with an Ultegra 6500 group.

-Trevor
Old 07-14-21, 05:08 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Relocated from Orange County, CA to Meridian Idaho in May. Been riding pretty consistently since I got here, although heat, and now smoke are interfering. Guess I need to change my screen name too.
Old 11-22-21, 02:57 AM
jcyrette73

Bikes: Trek 4500 asl

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
There are many of us and I would love to put together a master list.

Let your presence be known and tell us what part of the area you hail from.

Me - Sherwood Oregon. 20 miles southwest of downtown Portland. Makes for a great commute.

55/Rad
pierce county Tacoma Washingtonian here here how are you all
Old 11-16-22, 11:45 PM
SOTA Hiker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Living in Oregon City, Oregon 👋

Last edited by SOTA Hiker; 06-18-23 at 09:39 AM.