Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Weird Huffy Small Wheel Racing Bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 05:50 PM
e.maguran
SpeedDemon

Bikes: K2 Cheyenne / Peugeot UO8 / GT Mach-One/ GT Interceptor/ Madwagon Cruiser/Many-Many Wheelie Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Gang,

I found this really weird Huffy small wheeled racing bicycle a few years ago. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any decal on the bicycle to tell me what model it is. Anyone ever seen this bicycle before?

- 20 inch tubular wheels with Vittoria Juniores. Rear is has a Dura-ace hub. Front is an Excel Mark 90.
- Mixed Adamas AX mini group except for the 5 speed Shimano RS.

Likes For e.maguran:
Old 04-12-20, 06:19 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
That looks like a F1 type of bike. After BMX's popularity, someone said why not stage road bikes races like BMX races. This was F1. It was called F1 wasn't it. I don't know much about it.

This bike could make a nice mini Velo though. It is odd to hear that it has some high quality components on it, but what looks like the standard Huffy one piece crank.
Old 04-12-20, 06:30 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Yeah, looks like what Huffy would make if making an F1. Here's a Schwinn that I saw locked up a couple of years ago.
Old 04-12-20, 06:47 PM
e.maguran
SpeedDemon

Bikes: K2 Cheyenne / Peugeot UO8 / GT Mach-One/ GT Interceptor/ Madwagon Cruiser/Many-Many Wheelie Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whoa - I didn't realize that geared BMX bikes were a thing...

That is super cool. I'm a Schwinn collector and that F1 looks amazing, but wow they are mega expensive on eBay and rare at 200 bikes. Anyway, yeah, this Huffy is weirdo that I'm looking forward to riding. I want to upgrade the crankset, new saddle, get a period correct & lighter derailleur and change the bars to bull bars.
Old 04-12-20, 08:10 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Bikes Direct is currently selling a new mini-velo bike. I kind of like it, sort of... I can see putting a set of STIs on one of these.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...road-bikes.htm
Old 04-13-20, 07:40 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
While it does somewhat resemble an F1 there are several inconsistencies. First, Adamas AX is too early for F1, which popped up circa 1987-1988. Second, F1 bicycles used flat bars. I guess it could have been totally rebuilt, as Dura-Ace certainly isn't consistent with a one piece, Ashtabula style crankset. However, my big issue is the horizontal top bar which is atypical of an F1 model. They were styled after the TT "funny bikes" that were the rage at the time and routinely featured a sloping top tube frame configuration.

Old 04-13-20, 12:47 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Bikes Direct is currently selling a new mini-velo bike. I kind of like it, sort of... I can see putting a set of STIs on one of these.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...road-bikes.htm
Yes indeed the do offer a mini velo. A Mercier Nano. It’s a hoot to upgrade and ride!

Old 03-02-22, 05:48 PM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
Looks like it was originally a cheap formula 1 style BMX clone from Huffyvthat someone put a bunch of stuff on. No bike ever had Dura Ace hubs and also 1 peice cranks. I didn't know they made 20 inch tubular rims and tires. What would they be for?

Edit: I found this wEiRd TT bike with a 20 inch front wheel that is probably tubular. They must be VERY rare though.

Last edited by grant40; 03-02-22 at 05:58 PM.
Likes For grant40:
Old 03-10-22, 08:58 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
The 20" sew ups were around in the mid 1970's I had a rider that I built wheels for that rode them in the NBA finals at Indy in 1978. Those were Nisi if I remember right. He was a rather light-weight rider thus he could handle them in his age class. His whole bike was in the 13-15 pound range. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 08-14-22, 10:16 AM
grant40

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 204 Posts
I did some research because I just remembered this post and the 20th tubular wheinstitutional wheels and tires are popular and wheelchair racing. The owner of this bike might have wheelchair wheels and tires laced to bicycle hubs.