Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Nuovo Record quick release

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-12-22, 02:48 PM
Alpal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, first post here so apologies if this has been covered before.

​​​​I've just picked up a vintage road bike fitted with nuovo record throughout. The only issue is there's a slight bend in the quick release skewer just at the lever. Is it possible to replace just the skewer rod and retain the campagnolo end caps or am I better off grabbing a complete replacement off eBay?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers
Old 08-12-22, 03:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Take it apart and straighten it or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27541186434...xoCh3oQAvD_BwE
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-12-22, 04:03 PM
Alpal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! Wasn't sure if it was advisable to start trying to bend it back but I guess I have nothing to lose - can't use it as it is anyway!
Old 08-12-22, 09:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
You do know that the later years (1978?) of NR QR production used a curved lever? Andy (thanks to the CPSC for this and other forced changes to Campy stuff).
Old 08-13-22, 06:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You do know that the later years (1978?) of NR QR production used a curved lever? Andy (thanks to the CPSC for this and other forced changes to Campy stuff).
I believe he meant the axle rod itself was bent at the end the lever is on. A lot easier to bend the rod accidentally than the lever
Old 08-13-22, 08:48 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Ah, I see now. Rear skewers are often enough bent due to a freewheel hub's axle bending. I've seen many broken rear axles only held "together" by the skewer's not also having broken. (and most of these times the rider doesn't know anything is going on). I often just use the axle as the "vise' to hold the bent end while straightening, sometimes a real bench vise is needed. But the skewer will work with a mild bend. Pretty much if you can insert the skewer into the axle it will hold the wheel in place. I've broken the skewer rod only a few times myself, and that's after 45+ years of daily shop work (and tens of thousands of QRs), I've seen a few handfuls of others having broken theirs. Not at all common but can happen. Andy
Old 08-13-22, 09:21 AM
Alpal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that Andy, it is indeed the skewer rod itself that's bent but only at the very end at the barrel where the QR lever feeds through. The bike is currently in pieces and I'll be bringing it to the local shop for a rebuild and tune up so I might just leave it up to them to straighten it out if they think it's needed.
Old 08-13-22, 09:50 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Ah, I see now. Rear skewers are often enough bent due to a freewheel hub's axle bending. I've seen many broken rear axles only held "together" by the skewer's not also having broken. (and most of these times the rider doesn't know anything is going on). I often just use the axle as the "vise' to hold the bent end while straightening, sometimes a real bench vise is needed. But the skewer will work with a mild bend. Pretty much if you can insert the skewer into the axle it will hold the wheel in place. I've broken the skewer rod only a few times myself, and that's after 45+ years of daily shop work (and tens of thousands of QRs), I've seen a few handfuls of others having broken theirs. Not at all common but can happen. Andy
Funny story about this. 20+ years ago when I was in middle school my dad helped me fix up his long since parked 1970 Raleigh so that I’d have a road bike. After a couple months the rear hub was loose and I couldn’t get the cones adjusted. I took the skewer out and had half an axle come out with it. Just what you said, a broken rear axle held together by the QR. I got a strong tongue lashing about abusing the bike and was sent to the basement to salvage an axle from my dad’s old wheel pile…where I discovered all three of his spare rear wheels already had the same condition. I had to go buy a new axle, but it was worth it for getting to ask my dad why he had been ‘abusing’ more wheels than he accused me of.
Old 08-13-22, 10:51 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've broken the skewer rod only a few times myself, and that's after 45+ years of daily shop work (and tens of thousands of QRs), I've seen a few handfuls of others having broken theirs. Not at all common but can happen. Andy
I broke one a few years ago. Caught the lever end of the skewer with my trailer while moving the trailer. Pow... About 15 miles from home

Since then, I started putting the skewer levers to the left side (around the derailleur).

As far as the OP, I'm not sure if I'd try bending it back hot or cold. The skewers should be moderately high tensile steel. If not too bad of a bend, it should be able to be straightened cold.

I think I have Campy skewers with both nuts and lock rings on the lever. I like the idea of taking the skewer apart before straightening, but it might work while together too.