Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 06-07-04, 07:34 AM
Jawbone

Bikes: custom-built Guru Strada, Giant Farrago, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stubacca
Until recently it was this beastie - '99ish Giant Farrago. Changed the tires for 700x32 Panaracers, lowered the adjustable stem, and added a rear rack.

It finally gave up the ghost last week, so I'm currently searching for a replacement. The whole drive train is pretty much at the end of it's useful life and the rear wheel has failed, and I can't really justify spending much money on it considering I'd rather be doing my 25-30 mile round trip commute on a better fitting frame with drop bars. I'm intending to source a new rear wheel to turn this one into a single-speed grocery getter and errand bike. Moustache bars might get the nod, too...
Stubacca, I've been using a Farrago too for the past several years and have had nothing but a miserable time with it. I've had to replace the rear wheel, the saddle... all kinds of things. But still, I put thousands of kilometres on that thing commuting 32km/day. I need to replace the BB and a bunch of other things, but the frame is sturdy enough. Any suggestions for reviving this rig in terms of drive train, rear wheel etc?
Old 06-07-04, 09:43 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jawbone
Stubacca, I've been using a Farrago too for the past several years and have had nothing but a miserable time with it. I've had to replace the rear wheel, the saddle... all kinds of things. But still, I put thousands of kilometres on that thing commuting 32km/day. I need to replace the BB and a bunch of other things, but the frame is sturdy enough. Any suggestions for reviving this rig in terms of drive train, rear wheel etc?
I just pulled mine down to a box of spare parts last week. When I have a couple of hundred bucks to spare, I'm thinking about rebuilding it as a single-speed grocery getter. I picked up a new Surly Cross Check last week to use as a commuting bike, and so far love it. Will post pics when I can muster the energy to take them...

I looked at rebuilding the Farrago, which would have been entirely possible. I just couldn't justify the money on it when I'd rather a better fitting frame. I needed wheels, BB, cassette, chain, headset, shifters and cables. If you really like the frame, it may be worth doing a rebuild with new 9-spd components, possible even with a drop bar (which is what I considered).
Old 06-07-04, 01:51 PM
Jawbone

Bikes: custom-built Guru Strada, Giant Farrago, Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stubacca
I looked at rebuilding the Farrago, which would have been entirely possible. I just couldn't justify the money on it when I'd rather a better fitting frame. I needed wheels, BB, cassette, chain, headset, shifters and cables. If you really like the frame, it may be worth doing a rebuild with new 9-spd components, possible even with a drop bar (which is what I considered).
thanks, I'm thinking it's easier and less costly in the long run to just buy a new bike for commuting and relegate the Farrago to family tours around the hood. It was one of those hybrids that wasn't very good at anything but, whatever, I drove the guts out of it anway
Old 06-08-04, 08:22 PM
GT_juju

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my first bike and intended on using it for commuting to work and riding for excercise and endurance training in a local park (Flushing Meadows for those from NYC). I took some pictures of it just now and would like to share them. Maybe I can get some advice on how to make it better/safer or more fun to ride.

Old 06-10-04, 10:32 PM
FlippingHades
Zugster Bags

Bikes: Nishiki fixed gear commuter, Trek 560 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally got around to taking a decent picture of my commuter. It's a 1997 Redline Conquest CX frame, with a motley assortment of components (Deore cranks, 105 levers, Ultegra derailleurs, Dura-Ace gears & hubs) . I bought it used and have been slowly tweaking it to my taste. Most of my ride is in big city traffic, so I swapped the drop handlebars for cowhorns, since I spent all my time on the flat or hoods anyway. At the same time I removed the front derailleur and shifter since I never used the big ring, either.
Old 06-11-04, 09:00 AM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked this bike up used. Its a 88 or 89 Specialized RockHopper large frame. It now has a bike computer and 1.5" slicks on it. It'll be a "real" commuter soon with a rack on the back, saddlebags, and fenders.
Old 06-11-04, 11:23 AM
bagel
(Poppyseed)

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory, 1996 Specialized Hardrock GX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter.

A 1996 Specialized Hardrock GX. Used to do XC mountain duty until I decided to make it the most comfortable 1996 Specialized Hardrock GX in Santa Cruz. As pictured, it has a Jandd Commuter Pack and folding basket on no-name rack on semi-slicks. I also fit it with a 5V NiteHawk headlight (heavy battery but what a value!) and blinky Cateye tails.

Plotting revenge is fun.

Last edited by bagel; 06-11-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 03:00 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine.

1994 Gary Fisher Mamba. My first MTB, served me well on the trail. After I upgraded to a 2001 GF Sugar 4 I put 1.5" slicks on it and use it for commuting.

I'm a big fan of velcro, so I velcro'd my lock to the bike, and the blue velcro strap is for my pant leg. I upgraded the brakes on my Sugar and put the stock v-braks on the mamba. In '94 I cracked the frame about a week after I bought it, but took it to LBS and they helped me warranty it, rock shox also warrantied the forks too. I was bombing down a trail and got off the path a little bit, hit a hole with my front tire and went OTB, cracked the frame, bent the forks. The bike has been solid ever since.

Old 06-23-04, 06:24 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by super-douper
Here's mine.

I'm a big fan of velcro, so I velcro'd my lock to the bike, and the blue velcro strap is for my pant leg.
Hey I also am a big fan of velcro, but I have not been able to find a place to buy velcro straps. Where do you get yours?
Old 06-23-04, 09:28 PM
super-douper
Powered by PB&J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kodama
Hey I also am a big fan of velcro, but I have not been able to find a place to buy velcro straps. Where do you get yours?
I'm a network admin by trade....at work they call this stuff "Velcro cable ties".... but it also keeps grease off my pants. I also used it to shim the mounting thingy for my seatpost light cause it was made for a thicker seatpost.

It's great stuff.
Old 06-23-04, 09:42 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
"so I velcro'd my lock to the bike, and the blue velcro strap is for my pant leg"

Last couple times I bought lettuce at the supermarket, it was bundled with a strip of velcro. I'm going to try some out on my bike! (the velcro, not the lettuce) Don
Old 06-25-04, 09:59 AM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChezJfrey
Here's a link to a photo of mine after our morning tour today.
ChezJfrey,

What fenders are you running on your bike? I have an old Cannondale frame with short reach brakes and 700X28 tires I would like to put fenders on, but the LBS does not seem to be able to help me out.

Thanks
Old 06-30-04, 02:44 PM
phamby

Bikes: the orange one

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my commuter and townie bike
Old 07-12-04, 07:13 AM
bradw
Slow and unsteady

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Over the last 2 years I mostly used my Trek 6500 MTB for commuting. I used a backpack to carry my clothes and supplies.

Recently I decided to use my Trek 520 for hot weather commuting. The rack allows me to put a decent sized pannier (one Arkel T42 rear bag) on it and keep my back a little drier.

The bike is fairly modified from stock. Deore LX cranks instead of 105. LX thumb shifters instead of Dura Ace barends. Flat bars with bar-ends instead of drops. Conti Top Touring Tires instead of Bontragers. Jannd Expedition rack instead of Trek. Trek saddle instead of Bontrager. And fenders, too. This photo's a couple months old. I had just returned from a two-day, 150-mile tour, where I caught a stick in the rear wheel and tore off the fender. I recently replaced that Planet Bike rear fender with a cheaper Zefal plastic fender.
Old 07-19-04, 10:12 AM
meradi