Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Strange things found on your commute

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Strange things found on your commute

Old 03-11-11, 09:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by fsc
Still have that St. Croix? Looking to sell?
Nope. Got rid of it a long time ago.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-11-11, 09:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by ZManT
score . ..
somebody was bummed - what kind of reels?
Nothing too special, Scientific Anglers. They're better than some but not as good as a Ross or Abel. They were much better...as were the rods...then what I had at the time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-11-11, 10:26 AM
fsc

Bikes: only have one at the moment :( But at least its a CrossCheck so its multipurpose and STEEL.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Nothing too special, Scientific Anglers. They're better than some but not as good as a Ross or Abel. They were much better...as were the rods...then what I had at the time.
Try a TFO reel. I have their Mark II and I like it WAY better than my ross...

I can only hope that I have your experience just once...
Old 03-11-11, 11:18 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
not to turn this into more of a fly sighing thread, but...

I have an Orvis clearcreek II for my brookie getter 2WT and the balance is perfect. I'm not a big Orvis fan because I think they are selling the label and not the gear half the time, but this reel was only about $30. Not like you need a $100 drag system for a 2wt.

tight lines,
Old 03-11-11, 12:00 PM
Blues Frog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Witters... do you sigh a lot?
Old 03-12-11, 12:07 AM
Ipedaltahoe

Bikes: Motobecane Single Speed, Trek Mountain Track Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This time of year its tools and wires from chain removal and applying. In the summer cans and bottles. What I have found the most and really make me wonder are single shoes, not just kids shoes which yes I understand, but adult shoes. Really WTF I have never lost a shoe while crusing down the highway. Cell phone holsters for my Otter Box is a different story. I keep losing those and if anyone finds my starbucks cup, I really want that back.
Old 03-12-11, 07:53 AM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Found a Kershaw Vapor II boot knife. Still have it. Found a $5 bill one time. Turtle cruising the white line that just about crashed me dodging it. Went back to try to get it off the road about 10 minutes later and he had been hit already.

My work buddy is the king of finding stuff but not by bike. He has an hawk eyes and can spot a 1/4 inch socket doing 70mph on the hwy. I have known him for 15 years and he Has boxes full of tools, phones and PDA's.

Last year he found a tool box full of 5 precision digital dial gags 3 of them had 5 inch dials and looking them up they were $1300 each. He posted ads on craigs and the local papers found section describing the tool box they were in but not the contents trying to get it back to the owner. Hundreds of people responded with all sorts of guesses and never anbody that could tell him what was in it.

A whirlpool bath tub and yes it was salvageable and in service today. A new projection TV IN the box and yes it was repairable. Sat on the side of the road with both for over an hour to see if anybody came back looking for it. Nobody ever did.

HOW the HELL can you loose stuff that big and not notice it? My issue is if they were so stupid as to not secure their loads and risked peoples lives driving down the road like that they don't deserved it back as a lesson to secure your load. We actually had a guy get killed here in GA hitting a brand new Dryer that came out of pickup truck about 8 years ago. They found the guy by tracking down where the dryer came from. I recall the widow tried to sue Home Depot for allowing the guy to leave without strapping it down.
Old 03-16-11, 07:20 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Homeless guy sleeping on the MUP in the dark -- almost ran him over.
Old 03-16-11, 07:52 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Homeless guy sleeping on the MUP in the dark -- almost ran him over.
Same here. Missed him by <2 feet.
Old 03-16-11, 08:35 AM
HillCusser

Bikes: '93 Trek 520, '98 Trek 1220, '01 C-dale T800

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found about fifteen cases of windshield washer/cleaner at a tight turn in a country road. Most of the cases had broken open, so plastic jugs were everywhere in the bushes. Called a friend who 'cleaned up' the mess - we didn't buy washer fluid for a while after that.
Old 03-17-11, 06:03 PM
merkong
Cyclist, Runner & TRX'er

Bikes: Steel Bianchi, 29 inch Redline Monocog, a Carbon something someday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not too weird but I found a pair of pliers today on my second AM commute ever. Oh, what lies ahead....
Old 03-17-11, 09:59 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once long ago on a MUP, I came across a huge Black snake. He'd been hit and was ruptured. I felt pretty bad for him (her). It was a fine specimen. I helped it over to the bushes where it could die in peace.

Last year, on the way to work, I rounded a corner on a very short section of MUP that I used. Suddenly, before I could stop, I rolled through some stinky yellow and clear liquids that got all over me, my bike and bags. I think it was some separated paint. Smelled bad, ugliest yellow I'd ever seen. It looked like someone had broken a fresh dinosaur egg in the middle of the path. Yolk and clear white. I still find flecks of it on the bike (blue one in logo below.)

Other than that, the usual shoe, hat, shirt, bottle, dead critter, bra, is all I've ridden by.
Old 03-18-11, 07:25 AM
Jose Mandez
Bicycles are for Children

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On commutes/tours over the years:

Multiple license plates (two Texas, one Missouri), a non-disposable plastic drink bottle, CDs, bungee cords (used to find these on highways in Indiana all the time, not so much here in Texas), more gloves than I can count, a bicycle tail-light (a few days after a big triathlon in my area), a plug nickel, a Chicago Cubs cap, a destroyed GMRS handheld radio, diapers (a few years ago someone was dumping a lot of them alongside the road in my area), a crescent wrench and a regular wrench, a William Faulkner novel (actually this was thrown at me from a vehicle window), and a wallet with twenties packed in it and scattered on the ground around it (which I reunited with its grateful owner).
Old 03-18-11, 08:13 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose Mandez
On commutes/tours over the years:

Multiple license plates (two Texas, one Missouri), a non-disposable plastic drink bottle, CDs, bungee cords (used to find these on highways in Indiana all the time, not so much here in Texas), more gloves than I can count, a bicycle tail-light (a few days after a big triathlon in my area), a plug nickel, a Chicago Cubs cap, a destroyed GMRS handheld radio, diapers (a few years ago someone was dumping a lot of them alongside the road in my area), a crescent wrench and a regular wrench, a William Faulkner novel (actually this was thrown at me from a vehicle window), and a wallet with twenties packed in it and scattered on the ground around it (which I reunited with its grateful owner).
That's actually sort of cool (in a dangerous way.) I've had Conrad's Heart of Darkness flung at me several times, but never Faulkner. I suppose people are a bit more literate in your area.
Old 03-18-11, 10:28 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
a plug nickel,

You know, what is a plug nickel? I remember, growing up, my Dad complaining that something or other was "not worth a plug nickel!"

I got the drift, but not the reference, and I never did ask him to explain.
Old 03-18-11, 02:52 PM
Ray R

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A USMC enlisted man's camouflage cap. I was bummed when I got it home and it was too small; gave it to my wife.

Pacific Daylight Time has plunged my morning commute into darkness again. On the MUP I passed under an underpass and another cyclist was heading my way. We blinded each other with our headlights and I heard "THUMP THUMP - Ow! Hey!" Trying to avoid me he ran over a couple of bums who were hauled out like harbor seals on the MUP. I guess when they bedded down the night before they had no idea that this nice clean flat concrete with a roof over it would have bike commuters headed to work in the morning. So add another use to the list of multiple uses of the path: dormitory for the mentally ill.
Old 03-18-11, 07:54 PM
Novasteve74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only thing I've found was a Gerber folding pocket knife on the MUP on a ride near Tybee Island, GA about a year ago.
Old 03-19-11, 05:48 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After reading this thread for the first time yesterday morning, I went for a ride in the afternoon ... and found one of these ...

... a navigation chart for Apalachee Bay, Florida.

Must have blown out of someone's boat on the way down to the coast.

Now in my boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
11405.jpg (98.5 KB, 316 views)
Old 03-21-11, 03:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
a plug nickel,

You know, what is a plug nickel? I remember, growing up, my Dad complaining that something or other was "not worth a plug nickel!"

I got the drift, but not the reference, and I never did ask him to explain.
If I remember correctly the little popouts from electrical junction boxes (pre punched opening...you have to punch it out to get the hole open and then put romex or the like through) are pretty much the same size as a nickel and some people tried to use them as legal tender..... with the results the most people were told they were worthless, though I would guess some very early vending machines could have been fooled

Old 03-21-11, 03:32 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
always stop for tools
Old 03-21-11, 04:31 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
the plugs from the junction boxes I knew were always more quarter sized. Never had the guts to try getting a gumball with one, but I often wanted to try.
Old 03-21-11, 06:25 PM
Felipe the Ant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/260800.html lol i didn't know either. so i looked it up
Old 03-22-11, 02:32 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday on the commute home, there were two pretty large rugs within 50 feet of each other in the middle of Rt 20.
Old 03-25-11, 03:40 PM
cyclist5
Will ride anywhere

Bikes: 2009 Trek XO-1, 2006 Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nothing yet but I want to find cool stuff. guess I'm too focused on the road
Old 03-25-11, 03:42 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I just found a loveseat in the bike lane. I called Non-Emergency and they had it picked up by the time I finished lunch today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.