Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GPX file for NY Empire Trail?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 02:42 PM
seinberg 

Bikes: Checkpoint SL7, Tarmac SL7, Trek Top Fuel, Trek Farley, Priority 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi all - wondered if anybody had a .fit or .gpx file for the recently-completed Empire Trail. There are great maps here and here, but I can't find a way to actually download them. I'm riding the trail from NYC to Erie this Spring with my wife, and as I plan the route it'd be nice to have the data on-hand so I could load it into my Garmin day-by-day and figure out where we'll stop along the way and so on.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-10-21, 04:05 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'd love to find real paper maps. With a paper map, it is easier to figure a detour if/when necessary. The Erie Towpath has a new guide. I have not seen it, but the old one could have been better. A lot of the B&Bs, etc. were out of business. How do you plan to return?
Old 03-10-21, 04:24 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I'd love to find real paper maps. With a paper map, it is easier to figure a detour if/when necessary. The Erie Towpath has a new guide. I have not seen it, but the old one could have been better. A lot of the B&Bs, etc. were out of business. How do you plan to return?
Yeah I'll download the Google maps offline on the phone in case we need to reference it for detours or food etc. But for the majority it's much easier loading into the Garmin. We do plan to stay in hotels or a B&B every night, though, rather than camping and roughing it out. I'm hoping to hit a lot of the great small breweries along the trail tbh

As for getting back, we haven't decided between rail or car rental. Probably car rental. The other less desirable option is to ride to Albany and back instead, but probably not that.
Old 03-10-21, 04:24 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I found one today and impirted it into RideWithGPS

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35367526
Old 03-10-21, 04:26 PM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

I am considering doung it at end of april
Old 03-10-21, 04:26 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I found one today and impirted it into RideWithGPS

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35367526
Thanks! I saw that one too, but saw several bad directions down in the city and in Westchester that I know aren't part of the trail or desirable places to ride and lost trust that the rest of the route (which I don't know) would be trustworthy.
Old 03-10-21, 04:29 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seinberg
Thanks! I saw that one too, but saw several bad directions down in the city and in Westchester that I know aren't part of the trail or desirable places to ride and lost trust that the rest of the route (which I don't know) would be trustworthy.
Just as an example -- routing cross town in Manhattan and riding through the Bronx to get to Van Cortland Park is something nobody would do who knows cycling in NYC. Similarly in a few spots leading to the South and Nortu county Trailways.
Old 03-10-21, 04:32 PM
PedalingWalrus

If you find a better one please share
Likes For PedalingWalrus:
Old 03-10-21, 04:33 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
If you find a better one please share
Will do!
Old 03-10-21, 04:54 PM
PedalingWalrus

Have You also compared it to the official web site map? https://empiretrail.ny.gov/map

Just as an example -- routing cross town in Manhattan and riding through the Bronx to get to Van Cortland Park is something nobody would do who knows cycling in NYC. Similarly in a few spots leading to the South and Nortu county Trailways.
Old 03-10-21, 05:10 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Using the link/map above as a detailed guide, you can always create your own map/gpx file in RWGPS. The RWGPS map layer when you create a map has bike trails on it..even long routes can be created fairly fast.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-10-21, 05:25 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Have You also compared it to the official web site map? https://empiretrail.ny.gov/map
Yeah, the official one looks solid and the paths I would expect a local to take. Past Westchester I'm not very familiar though, so can't compare. Honestly it looks like what the creator did was use Google maps for cycling directions and just used what it gave as the default.
Old 03-10-21, 05:26 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Using the link/map above as a detailed guide, you can always create your own map/gpx file in RWGPS. The RWGPS map layer when you create a map has bike trails on it..even long routes can be created fairly fast.
Thanks yeah, I guess that's what I'll end up needing to do. I was hoping someone had already done it so I didn't need to, but seems not. I'll post it back here once I've done it.
Old 03-10-21, 05:33 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
There do indeed appear to be two rather odd but brief detours off the trail in Westchester, those however should be pretty obviously avoided. Then that route ditches the trailway and heads off to Hopewell rather than using the Maybrook that probably didn't exist when it was done. Honestly I wouldn't worry about having a route track until you get past New Paltz; there are quite a few threads on Westchester and Duchess county in the Northeast regional forum.

From memory your good stops are probably Millwood, Yorktown Heights where the NCT goes through the edge of the village, the Putnam County line at Baldwin Place where there's a big grocery store just west of the trail if needed, then the gas station mart opposite the old end of the trail in Brewster (Brewster itself is most of a road mile out of the way). I suspect you'll find quite little along the Maybrook until you get halfway through the Duchess County trail where there may be the option to descend to the things you are passing over. You won't really go though Poughkeepsie unless you intentionally leave the rail line to descend into town. At the Walkway itself there are sometimes bathrooms and water, oddly enough with different seasons/hours between the two sides. There's a rest stop somewhere on the trail in Lloyd, there's a gas station or two along the new beside-highway section and ultimately on the outskirts of New Paltz the trail yields to on street lane yields to nothing at which point you likely have typical town businesses available.

Something that should be on your radar is the upcoming closure of the SCT between Barney Street and Elmsford in lower Westchester for desperately needed re-paving; a good detour for that may take some research.

Just to throw out an idea, crossing the GWB, riding up 9w and somehow making it back across the Tappan Zee might be another option to consider given the construction.

Last edited by UniChris; 03-10-21 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-10-21, 06:25 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
There do indeed appear to be two rather odd but brief detours off the trail in Westchester, those however should be pretty obviously avoided. Then that route ditches the trailway and heads off to Hopewell rather than using the Maybrook that probably didn't exist when it was done. Honestly I wouldn't worry about having a route track until you get past New Paltz; there are quite a few threads on Westchester and Duchess county in the Northeast regional forum.

From memory your good stops are probably Millwood, Yorktown Heights where the NCT goes through the edge of the village, the Putnam County line at Baldwin Place where there's a big grocery store just west of the trail if needed, then the gas station mart opposite the old end of the trail in Brewster (Brewster itself is most of a road mile out of the way). I suspect you'll find quite little along the Maybrook until you get halfway through the Duchess County trail where there may be the option to descend to the things you are passing over. You won't really go though Poughkeepsie unless you intentionally leave the rail line to descend into town. At the Walkway itself there are sometimes bathrooms and water, oddly enough with different seasons/hours between the two sides. There's a rest stop somewhere on the trail in Lloyd, there's a gas station or two along the new beside-highway section and ultimately on the outskirts of New Paltz the trail yields to on street lane yields to nothing at which point you likely have typical town businesses available.

Something that should be on your radar is the upcoming closure of the SCT between Barney Street and Elmsford in lower Westchester for desperately needed re-paving; a good detour for that may take some research.

Just to throw out an idea, crossing the GWB, riding up 9w and somehow making it back across the Tappan Zee might be another option to consider given the construction.
Ah, I didn't know about the closure on the SCT! Your detour is a good idea -- I ride 9w regularly so it will be a nice send-off to start the longer trail. Working through mapping this out on Strava now, actually...
Old 03-10-21, 06:51 PM
Pratt

Google Maps can be very helpful. The signage when I did it (E to W) was often nonexistent, or easily overlooked.
I parked my truck at Albany Amtrak long term parking, rode to Buffalo, and did a one way Hertz back to Albany. If I did it again, I would start at the Albany airport and go from the Buffalo one since the car rental places have better hours. I arrived back in Albany about 1pm on a Saturday, they had closed at noon and tried to charge me until they opened up on Monday.
Seneca Falls is about a 40 mile detour, but is a kind of neat town and is historically important in women getting the vote.
Old 03-10-21, 08:46 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Alright, so I wasn't able to find anything so instead created my own version by going basically street-by-street and replicating the source map in Ride With GPS. Here's the result -- feel free to grab for your own purposes!
Likes For seinberg:
Old 03-10-21, 08:57 PM
PedalingWalrus

Thank You!
Old 03-13-21, 03:08 PM
JohnMajor

Bikes: Surly LHT, Fuji Cross Town 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looked over your route for the Schenectady area (I volunteer as a Trail Ambassador for PTNY/Friends of the Mohawk Hudson Bike Hike Trail). Looks good, except near Pattersonville - there is a relatively new paved trail crossing Rynex Corners Road and passing through a new bike trail parking area on 5S. Otherwise, looks like you have the new sections using tunnels near Scrafford Lane and Leggerio Lane correct - I rode it New Year's Day and recorded my route at: (sorry, won't let me include the link since this is my first post - but you should be able to locate it by searching in RideWithGPS for "Rotterdam Kiwanis to Pattersonville thru tunnels!"). We still have snow and ice on sections of the bike path so haven't ridden lately, still some finishing touches remaining near the tunnel sites (paving, landscaping) but quite rideable as of the official opening at the end of 2020. John
Likes For JohnMajor:
Old 03-13-21, 11:15 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
I used the PTNY interactive map for the Erie Canal when I rode it last fall: https://www.ptny.org/bike-canal/map/
It works in a smartphone browser, and it can show your GPS location. Very useful for navigating the towns. It even showed detours for the trail segments which were closed for repaving.
Old 03-15-21, 03:00 PM
PedalingWalrus

I wonder what the odds will be to find stealth camping between Albany and Manhattan...probably predictably harder the closer we get to the big apple
Old 05-05-21, 09:50 AM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Also depends on how stealth you want to be Some parts of the OCA trail might be possible if you set up late-ish and tear down early-ish. Probably also plenty of actual campgrounds in the Catskills and Hudson valley.
Old 05-05-21, 12:47 PM
Pratt

The Empire Tail website does have downloadable maps with cue sheets.
If I get it this Fall, I plan to take MetroNorth to Poughkeepsie (required bike passes available by mail). I used to live in Westchester and even stealth camping would be a chore. From there to Burlington looks pretty reasonable.
Old 05-05-21, 01:21 PM
seinberg 

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
The Empire Tail website does have downloadable maps with cue sheets.
I don't think they do. Or at any rate, they didn't when I looked a month or so ago. Very keen for a link to them if you know where to get them now though.
Old 05-06-21, 10:26 AM
ignant666
ret'd msgr

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
https://bikeempirestate.com/cue-sheets.aspx
Likes For ignant666:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.