Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Topstone Rear Rack

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-27-19, 11:05 AM
gls0505

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a rear rack for Cannondale Topstone 105. Ideally Cannondale would produce something that doesn't have to be a compromise. They provide mounting points why not rack designed to compliment the bike. If you've got something you like I'd appreciate make/model and maybe a pic. Thanks!
Old 07-28-19, 01:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 375 Posts
I'm a Blackburn rack fan and recommend you check them out.
Old 07-29-19, 07:21 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
We’ve toured with 5-6 different racks. Axiom Streamliner DLX would be my choice. Used them on our gravel bikes and 29ers. Swept back mounts give extra clearance for big feet. We use Ortlieb bags and like them close to the centerline - not hanging out wide. Well made and worth checking out.
Old 07-29-19, 09:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by gls0505
Can anyone recommend a rear rack for Cannondale Topstone 105. Ideally Cannondale would produce something that doesn't have to be a compromise. They provide mounting points why not rack designed to compliment the bike. If you've got something you like I'd appreciate make/model and maybe a pic. Thanks!
What about the Topstone keeps you from using something from the wide assortment of aftermarket racks? Very few production bikes(really just some from Salsa that I know of) have racks specific for them.

Something with upper mounting arms that can adjust vertically and laterally will work, based on what I can see from stock web pics of the Topstone.

The Axiom Journey is one that Ive used for years on my touring bike. It has a wide lower bar to allow for multiple mounting positions to account for foot size and chainstay length. The upper mounting arms are easy to adjust as Ive fitted it to 3 different bikes all with different mounting point heights. Its relatively light, relatively inexpensive, and has been used a lot over the years carrying fully loaded panniers.
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey...14582069&psc=1
Old 07-29-19, 09:49 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I like Topeak racks and trunks. I have the trunk with panniers. They sell smaller trunk bags that integrate with the rack, as does mine. I love this set up. Expensive but worth it. Patience for a sale pays. I got my rack and trunk bag for one price... $111.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...s/rp-prod32816
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...p/rp-prod28663
Old 06-27-21, 05:29 AM
Mr.HH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BirdsBikeBinocs rear rack mount to sest post

How did you mount your topeak rear rack to the seat post on your specialized.
I have a Cannondale Topstone and have to mount my rear rack like you have

Last edited by Mr.HH; 06-27-21 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 09:18 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.HH
How did you mount your topeak rear rack to the seat post on your specialized.
I have a Cannondale Topstone and have to mount my rear rack like you have
I don’t know, but looking at the pics, it appears to be an integrated seatpost clamp mount. Specialized have their own, but there are several aftermarket offerings, e.g.:

https://problemsolversbike.com/produ...seatpost_clamp
Old 06-27-21, 09:31 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3125 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by gls0505
Assuming you mean aesthetically complementary, what kind of qualities are you looking for? Something sleek and minimalistic? More rugged and purpose-built looking? A particular color? Do you have particular needs such as panniers or a trunk? Do you want it to have a deck, or is open ok?

For example, if you want a modern style and only need to pack stuff out for overnight backpacking, the Tailfin racks are awesome, but if you need panniers for more load capacity and want them carried lowered for trail riding stability, maybe a Tubus Logo Evo is your rack.

As noted upthread, there are tons of options in the standard array of racks on the market; have you looked at all and found the offerings unsuitable?
Old 06-27-21, 11:34 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
My rack is a Tubus Vega Evo.

It is a sleek, narrow basic rack made of CrMo steel tubing and lighter than most aluminum racks. They are also very well constructed. I also added the available "mousetrap spring" to secure odd items for when I do not have the small racktop bag attached. First rack I ever has that did not rattle a bit or work loose, and has zero sway. Keep in mind, the narrow top means wider truck bags will hang over and should be mounted carefully. It also means putting the bike on a double rack mount has less chances of contact with the other bike and if carrying more than one bike inside the vehicle has a lower profile.

THe width at the lower attachment points is for eyelets having a 150-170mm spread. I use the available 5mm spacers (130mm rear hub) to avoid bending the legs inward.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 06-27-21 at 11:39 AM.