Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you ever bought a bike from your local police?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-27-21, 04:22 AM
idk what to say

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

IDK about where you live but, some places have police selling bikes. Did you ever buy from something like that?

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-27-21 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For idk what to say:
Old 07-27-21, 05:33 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Yes, many years ago when I was a kid and my father knew one of the officers. Pretty much all the good bikes were sold before the official sale, so I got a a pretty good bike for $25.

Today, maybe there is more control around the "early" sale of the bikes, but YMMV>
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 07-27-21, 08:05 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I have a few times. Most are low end big box store bikes, and by the end of the auction they were selling them at $5-10 for a group of 3. I have bought a few bike store brands and Chicago built Schwinns for cheap though. It can't hurt to look, but yeah, get there early!
Old 07-27-21, 08:45 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I watched my county police auctions for a while, but never saw anything worth taking action. I don't recall the logistics of it, but there was both on-line and in-person selling going on simultaneously during monthly increments of time. I didn't sense that this buying method gave me enough control or convenience, really. So, I've never gone back to look again.

I would say that if you had ready (neighborhood) access to the sale site, and you had free time when the bikes were available to look at and/or bid, then this method could work out for you. For me, no.
Old 07-27-21, 09:25 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I haven't been to a police auction in a very long time. You are not likely to find a recumbent there and I have no desire for a DF bike. I did buy at least two bikes at our local police auctions. You couldn't get close enough to them to figure out frame sizes and I need a small frame which is nearly as rare as recumbents. One of the two I bought had a bent frame so I used it for parts. The other was a very good bike that subsequently got stolen again. Most bidders had no idea what constitute a decent bike so would bid up bikes with familiar names (e.g., Schwinn) to near the price for a new one and leave the odd bike that was actually worth something. They sold items as they came to them instead of selling like items all at once so you could waste an entire day waiting for a bike that looked good.
Old 07-27-21, 09:29 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Bought a pair of steel road bikes for something like $2 and $3 at the campus police auction where I worked y2k era, thinking I'd try to get one rideable as alternative to the mtb I was commuting on.

Never got around to it and gave them away on the curb when moving.

Would have been a good project last summer if I still had them.

If they're open to the public a campus auction could be good. This one they lined them up in a parking lot and walked down the row taking bids, I think someone following the "auctioneer" collected cash payments.
Old 07-27-21, 02:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by idk what to say
IDK about where you live but, some places have police selling bikes. Did you ever buy from something like that?
Some places have police selling or auctioning cars too that were impounded and never claimed. And all sorts of other stuff. Most have quit selling the guns they've confiscated.

So if you have police departments selling such bikes, I imagine it's just like any other used bike you might want to buy. Cars are pretty torn up though from what I've seen.
Old 07-27-21, 02:42 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Back when I was a kid Police auctions was where half the kids would get their bikes every year. But I lived in a rural area and farmers around there absolutely loved auctions and never missed them. Now the Police auctions are full of bike flippers and you can't find anything decently priced.
Old 07-27-21, 02:47 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
I bought a set of rollers from a cop once. I have logged thousands of miles on them and improved my technique. Highly recommended.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-27-21, 03:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
This was a thing in my college days ('70s) and several friends got bikes at police auctions. I attended once and was struck by one guy who looked extremely off-duty-coppish acting as a shill to bid up prices. I wound up working on one friend's purchase, a Falcon, I think, and the steerer tube was held into the fork crown with about a 120-degree arc of braze that left the rest of the circle free of attachment. Nice. That bike turned out to be no bargain at all for Timothy.
Old 07-28-21, 07:01 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When a bicycle cop arrests someone, do they take them to jail riding on the handlebars?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-28-21, 07:18 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
When a bicycle cop arrests someone, do they take them to jail riding on the handlebars?
i dont think so, i think they just do trafic and if anything happens they call the cops with cars --- just guessing
Old 07-28-21, 07:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
i dont think so, i think they just do trafic and if anything happens they call the cops with cars --- just guessing
Incorrect guess. I have actually seen bike cops chase and apprehend someone.
Old 07-28-21, 08:40 AM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
but did they make him walk to the police station? or did they wait until someone with a car came?
Old 07-28-21, 11:12 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Yes, my kids always had the latest new to them bike from the sheriff sale. They rode Giant, Gary fisher, Bianchi, and Trek. And I got a bunch for parts, gave away and sold a few. Lots of them had evidence tags still attached.
Old 07-28-21, 11:57 AM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
call a zone car and they transport, but you get to do all the paperwork.
Old 07-28-21, 03:59 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
I wonder what would happen if you purchased a bike from a police auction, and later, the person who had the bike stolen from them saw you riding it. If they had documented the bike (color, equipment, serial number) and could prove the bike had been stolen, would the police then arrest you for receiving stolen property? Let's face it, the police don't put a lot of time or effort into checking "recovered" bikes against stolen bike reports.
Old 07-29-21, 05:37 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
but did they make him walk to the police station? or did they wait until someone with a car came?
Paddy Wagon

Old 07-29-21, 07:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
What do you think? lol
Old 07-30-21, 08:18 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have not. I think all the police departments here now use e-bikes, which is probably quite smart.
Old 07-30-21, 02:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,255 Times in 2,935 Posts
Yes, but I recommend meeting them in a well-lit public setting -- not at their "station."
Old 07-30-21, 04:16 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
In my area they just sell them in-bulk to a dealer, recycler, or something like that. Most of what they collect are rusty beach cruisers, and anything of significant value is usually set aside and checked on the California database for the registered owner (bicycles stores have to enter new bikes in it). Not worth the hassle.
Old 08-02-21, 12:38 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, generally I have seen them on cruiser type bikes I'd have no interest in. They still use those but mostly cruiser-ish e-bikes here. Comfy and easy to bike around the congested areas and look for perps.
Old 08-02-21, 01:58 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Yes, in the early 90's my grandfather and I (late teens at the time) picked up a steal (pun intended) Diamondback rigid mtb (what we now call hybrid?) for chump change at a police auction. It worked great until one day when the front cantilever brake boss stud broke off the fork during some hard braking causing me to slam into something at slow speed (forget exactly what it was). Good times.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-02-21 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-02-21, 02:00 PM
idk what to say

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Yes, in the early 90's my grandfather and I (late teens at the time) picked up a steal (pun intended) Diamondback rigid mtb (what we now call hybrid?) for chump change at a police auction. It worked great until one day when the front cantilever brake boss stud broke off the fork during some hard braking causing me to slam into something at slow speed (forget exactly what is was). Good times.
That seems interesting, to say the least.