Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rene Herse Superlight vs Endurance Casing.

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-21, 05:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts

Who has experience with Rene Herse Tires in BOTH Endurance and Superlight casing?

I have owned many sets of Compass / RH tires with the Superlight casings, and I love them. Utterly sublime ride. One of the few things where the fanatical hype is justified, IME.

I am wondering if the Endurance casing retains the ride quality of the Superlight casing.

I’m really just interested in experience from people who have time on both casings, preferably in a similar model.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-21, 08:06 PM
nellborg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got RH Snoqualmies and Bon Jons in Endurance casing, and I'm on my second set of Barlow Pass's in EL casing. I've got a couple thousand miles on each of them. The EL's do feel special and unlike anything else I've ridden - other than cotton tubular sew-ups on my road bike. The Endurance casing feels noticeably stiffer and "less special" than the EL's,but I think they still feel just a bit more supple and special than other comparable "supple" tires out there.

While I've never had a flat or sidewall tear on the EL's, I use the Endurance casing tires for events where I'm paying less attention to my lines and am therefore more likely to hit objects. I use the EL's mainly for training rides.
Likes For nellborg:
Old 07-30-21, 09:29 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by nellborg
I've got RH Snoqualmies and Bon Jons in Endurance casing, and I'm on my second set of Barlow Pass's in EL casing. I've got a couple thousand miles on each of them. The EL's do feel special and unlike anything else I've ridden - other than cotton tubular sew-ups on my road bike. The Endurance casing feels noticeably stiffer and "less special" than the EL's,but I think they still feel just a bit more supple and special than other comparable "supple" tires out there.

While I've never had a flat or sidewall tear on the EL's, I use the Endurance casing tires for events where I'm paying less attention to my lines and am therefore more likely to hit objects. I use the EL's mainly for training rides.
From what I've read, the Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HTLR (comes in a 40mm) could be a suitable alt to the RH Endurance casing 38mm.
Has a thicker sidewall (and overall puncture protection) than the extralights and? standards, but seems to roll a touch faster than the standards. Supple also.
Do seem to be a pain to mount initially though.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 07-30-21 at 09:30 PM. Reason: txt
Old 08-02-21, 04:57 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by nellborg

This is almost exactly what I would have said as well. I have been riding RH on at least one bike going on 7 years now and I do not recall ever having a flat on teh EL tires. If you commute where there is a lot of glass and tire wires on teh shoulder that may not be the case. The Endurance are great overall, but not as special as the regular or extra lights. The Challenge Strada Biancas are the next best to the RH endurance casings.

The Endurance are not necessary if you do not ride in thorny/glassy/flinty areas...
Old 08-03-21, 10:49 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Not the same model but I have Compass Baby Shoe Pass EL, Chinook Pass EL Grand Bois Hetres standard casing and Jon Bon Pass endurance casing and I can say without a doubt I despise the JBP EC. The endurance casing makes the tire stiff and it rides like any other durable tire you can buy for much cheaper.

The plushness and smooth comfort that you get from extra light casing and standard casings is what makes these tires so special. I want to like the endurance casing, they are on my second set of wheels but every time I try them it leaves me disappointed. I was hoping the tire just needed some break in but so far they haven't changed. In Canada they are super expensive so I will keep them and use them occasionally but I would never purchase them again. (Plus the deep tan colour is ugly and they look cheap)