Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bob Coz - Trailer

Old 08-23-02, 04:52 AM
Richard D
Donating member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob Coz - Trailer

Anyone any experiences or views?

I'm a bit concerned about it's limited weight capacity, but I guess 25kg is a fair load.

Richard
Old 08-23-02, 05:32 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's my comment from https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1641#post71641
trailer is great!
* rides wonderful, stable and safe even going fast downhill, less wind resitance than panniers - you hardly even notice it's there until a hill comes (and then you notice the weight, not the trailer per say) - you have to learn how best to pack the weight for fast downhills - on tour i felt safe going 50mph downhill with 40lbs while my friend with panniers was all over the brakes at 35mph
* easily detachable in a few seconds and you can stow your trailer somewhere safe and do a day or rec. tour or MTB ride w/o unloading all your paniers and racks and stuff
* for MTBing the trailer tracks great - i've down serious singletrack downhills with the trailer on trails w/ small drops where some rec riders were walking their bikes downhill b/c it was so technical - obviously uphill is harder if you carry weight, but downhill and tight singletrack is UNBELIEVABLY good (just don't crash!)
* low wind profile so REALLY nice in comparison to panniers when the wind is strong
* less force and pressure on bike frame and wheels (although i did brake a lot of light-weight racing type triple-butted rear spokes until i replaced them with stronger touring-type spokes)

negatives:
* trailer/bike is long and a pain to 'walk' through pedestrain areas or your hotel, but OK except when you stop and want to load your bike in a train or lock it on a normal bike rack
* as Blue Marble said, there's only 1 bag, so you need you own system to locate stuff - panniers have the advantage 'item x is in left-front pannier, outer pocket'
* i often got charged extra on trains or whatever when panniers can be removed and count as 'baggage'
* it encourages you to carry TOO MUCH stuff for a tour - don't fill it up just b/c you can!

in the end panniers vs. trailer is a personal choice, but for a recumbent where (i guess) full panniers is harder to achieve, the BOB should be the better choice

i am 100% satisfied with mine!
and https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hlight=trailer
Bob:
** can ride offroad, panniers almost impossible w/o breaking something. if your load is not too heavy you can actually do some pretty extreme off-roading - i'm ridden downhill sections with the Bob and maybe 35-40lbs(15-17kg) on weekend trips in the Alps where other MTBers were walking their mountain bikes...
** less wind resistance if you have head or especially cross winds
** more stable at high speeds although you have to learn how to pack the weight - i did a 5-day trip on the Northwest coast with a friend with panniers and downhill he had to ride the brakes and always dreaded the downhills while i cranked to increase speed!
** easier to unhitch, lock up the trailer and your stuff and do a trail ride w/ racks or whatever
** loading your bike onto a train or into a hostel or whatever can be more difficult with the BOB - although it can be easier... the BOB definitely takes up more space in a bike room unless you detach it but then you have 2 things to carry and have to worry about leaving one unattended
** BOB puts less stress on the bike and requires less maintenance - also as someone else said, you need a good bike and frame for a full-load w/ panniers and with the BOB it's not really important
** no problem with front or full-suspension - front suspension pannier mounts exist, but they can be difficult to find and set up - full suspension and panniers (no idea if that works)

Panniers:
**more places to put things: e.g. knife is in front of left front pannier, etc.
** can be easier for train or something where you have to walk the bike

if you're doing any off-road, BOB wins hands-down. OR if you have front suspension or full susupension, it's also way easier...

For road touring, it's a mixed bag - you have to learn how to pack the BOB - so you can remember when everything is b/c it's just one big bag and and so you can get to the items you need easily without unpacking everything and to get the weight stable...

but i think for road touring neither choice is bad - just different

i've been really happy with my BOB and on my tour with my friend w/ panniers i usually felt i had the better setup except when i had to pay for 2 bikes on the train b/c they counted the trailer as a bike (b/c it has a bike wheel it's not luggage). i also had a little more trouble when pushing the bike through heavy pedestrian crowds b/c of the length
I have the YAK, but the Coz is pretty similar just with the Rubbermaid box instead of the whole aluminum frame and bag.

the Yak is rated for 70lbs. but yeah, the COZ is only 50lbs... i guess the frame must be a little less stout... for touring with the YAK you can load it with way more weight than you should. for shopping or hauling maybe you could meet the weight limit. BUT, my personal comment, is that when they say it's good to 75lbs, it means i can probably use it up to say 100lbs - it's just not recommended and they're not responsible if you break something... in my YAK i've had 50lbs on tour and 70-80lbs for local hauling (like shopping).

see info/reviews:
https://www.ageebike.com/BOBYAK.htm
https://www.bobgear.com/
https://www.phred.org/~alex/bikes/bobcoz.html
https://products.consumerguide.com/cp...x.cfm/id/21792
Old 08-23-02, 06:41 AM
threadend
Career Cyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the BOB Yak Plus, and like Nathank, don't believe I could ever overload it. I take regular weeklong unsupported cycling tours carrying everything I need except my main meals and could not be happier.

I suspect the 50 pound weight limitation may be because of the plastic wheel that is standard on the COZ. You might wnat to see if you can upgrade to the aluminum wheel that comes on the YAK if you plan on really using the trailer.
2003 Iceman Challenge - 2:34:55 - 897 / 2,000*
2002 Iceman Challenge - 2:39:23 - 1093 / 2,186
2000 Iceman Challenge - 2:49:18 - 1516 / 2,153
*estimated
Old 08-23-02, 07:36 AM
Richard D
Donating member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the weight limit might be due to there being virtually no frame (one main post, with two lightweight struts to support the box). I'm wondeing whether it would cope with a couple of bags of compost or sand okay. £150 compared with £240 for a YAK and sack is tempting.

Hoe tough are rubbermaid boxes? - it's not a brand I've seen over here.

Thanks

Richard
Old 08-23-02, 07:46 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as i said i haven't used the COZ, but the Rubbermaid boxes tend to be pretty sturdy...

yeah, it's either the wheel (which you can upgrade - one of the links i listed, i think the 1st or 2nd) the guy did exactly that -- or i think it's more likely b/c the box sits on the frame so there is only a flat frame instead of the "box frame" of the YAK which is stronger...

the advantages to the COZ over th YAK - forgot to list earlier - the Rubbermaid box is lokable and waterproof (although th new YAK'S come with a waterproof bag or at least you can buy one)

just as an option, i found one review saying that for NON-touring, NON-off-road hauling that the Burley was better b/c it has higher capacity, less frame weight and is easier to ride with, load and use b/c of the 2 wheels (although it's wider so sucks for trails and also less-ideal for touring)

i personally think as long as you're not routinely carrying more than 55-60lbs it should hold up fine... i'm pretty sure you could always buy another or replace the Rubbermaid box with something similar -- the same review i referenced above said he was thinking of buying a Bigger Rubbermaid box for more capacity (volume, not weight)
Old 05-16-14, 01:12 AM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
50 pds. is about as much as I'd care to peddle uphill with anyway. I like the simplicity
of this thing,no straps or zippers. just clip it shut with a caribeaner. It's got a single
solid tube frame instead of a bunch tack welded mesh.
Old 05-16-14, 09:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Cos(mopolitan) has a plastic container for the load, its a local shopping trailer (are they even still being made?)

the other 2 are a welded steel open frame 1 model suspends the rear wheel ..

Rubbermaid is a US brand , want a sturdier box ?, I assume you can look for one and substitute it,

saw a Bussing bin with a lid at the local restaurant industry supply store. it looked rugged ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-16-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 08:30 AM
Borderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I appreciate that this is an old thread, but does anyone have one of these Bob Coz trailers for sale please? I bought one for a bike tour that is due to start on the 2nd of August, but it was stolen a couple of weeks ago. I am getting a bit desperate now. For all sorts of complicated reasons this trailer was perfect for my needs so if anyone knows of one sitting unused in a shed somewhere then I would be very grateful to hear of it. I paid £140 including postage for the last one on eBay and would be happy to pay that again,
Many thanks,
Bridget
Old 07-03-16, 09:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

In the Post Brexit ' £ ' zone How about a Carry Freedom Y Trailer ? *

Carry Freedom Website | 1. The Y large - Carry Freedom Website

Carry Freedom Website | 2. The Y small - Carry Freedom Website

Put what ever Bin you like on top.

* I have a Carry Freedom City Trailer I got in the States years ago. I like it and use it with my Brompton.
https://www.carryfreedom.com/project/the-city-trailer/

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-03-16 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 03:48 PM
Borderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that, but it is definitely a single wheel with a solid box that I am looking for. Cheers though.
Old 07-03-16, 04:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Given the Cos is RIP , for many years . you may have to hire a replica made..

Or settle for a BoB Yak and find a box that fits.
Old 07-04-16, 03:20 AM
Borderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, its not going to be easy to track one down - hence this post and many others around the web There must be one in a shed somewhere!
I know I could modify a Yak or so on, but it would mean chopping off the basket which would weaken the structure. Otherwise it would have to be a taller box which would mean far worse road handling. The low centre of gravity is very important in these single wheel trailers as I discovered when I strapped our inflatable kayak to the top of the Coz one day....
Old 07-04-16, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

towing a Kayak , Burly flat bed.. 2 wheels .. tongue removed trailer just behind balance point, used the bow rope to tie to the bike's rear rack.

still made ... Mule suspended wheel, seat post mount

This will fall to the bottom of the page , soon and be un noticed henceforth ..

good luck ; keep checking auction sites on your own..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-04-16 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-30-17, 11:43 AM
seychelley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this thread is old but I just got our old Coz trailer down from the attic to sell. If anyone is interested let me know. I'm trying to find a good bicycle classified site online besides ebay to list this and some other gear. The Coz was used by our high school age son for a 2-week tour in 2006 and hasn't been out since. It needs a good home.
Old 08-05-21, 09:38 AM
Ride.12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent trailer

Originally Posted by Richard D
Anyone any experiences or views?

I'm a bit concerned about it's limited weight capacity, but I guess 25kg is a fair load.

Richard
I have experience with this trailer. I own this Bob Coz trailer.
I use it a lot. For just about anything. Shopping, get groceries, make a long run of go on a picnic.
The wheel is 16" in size. The tire can go up to 55mm thick.
The trailer wieghs aprox. 16 pounds (7kg) And can carry up to 55 pounds(25kg).
You might not really feel the trailer behind tyour bike. Only when riding up a hill.
This trailer can NEVER fall over while riding. Only if your bike in not properly parked.
Old 08-05-21, 04:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Wonder if OP got one and if so, are his grandkids still using it?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-06-21, 07:00 AM
Ride.12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Richard D
I think the weight limit might be due to there being virtually no frame (one main post, with two lightweight struts to support the box). I'm wondeing whether it would cope with a couple of bags of compost or sand okay. £150 compared with £240 for a YAK and sack is tempting.

Hoe tough are rubbermaid boxes? - it's not a brand I've seen over here.

Thanks

Richard
I have one myself and can tell that it's strong. It's insulated and seales the rubbermaid box completely.
Riding in the rain is bad for wooden boxes ETC. If it's not designed for riding in the rain.
This box in fully waterproof and can almost stand on the bottom of a lake. That standing on the bottom of a lake would be possible if there were NO holes in the bottom.
Heavy rain or if you empty a semy-truck filled with water on it, it keeps the inside dry.
The bodyrings used by connecting it to the frame make it waterproof on the bottom.
Likes For Ride.12:
Old 08-06-21, 02:47 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Ride.12, you are replying to a thread that is 19 years old. Richard D hasn't been on this board for 17 years. That trailer isn't even made anymore. This couldn't get anymore useless.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-07-21, 10:30 AM
Ride.12

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blakcloud
ride.12, you are replying to a thread that is 19 years old. Richard d hasn't been on this board for 17 years. That trailer isn't even made anymore. This couldn't get anymore useless.
I am useless? 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Thank you! 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Do you want me to kill myself?
Old 08-07-21, 03:41 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride.12
I am useless? 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Thank you! 😡😡😡😡😡😡
Do you want me to kill myself?
I didn't say you were useless, I said the your comments are useless. Hopefully the mods will lock this thread because no good can come from it.
Old 08-07-21, 04:45 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,380 Times in 3,692 Posts
Time to put this ancient thread to bed.

Closed.