Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wide sit bones, padded bibs.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-04-21, 01:26 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I have wide sit bones and ride a 155 mm Fizik saddle. I use Pearl Izumi padded bibs and while they are nice, not the top of their line, they do not seem to give me a lot of padding. I am not above thinking that I need to just put more miles on the saddle or grow accustomed to and tough-in up my butt or, is there a better padded bib that I can wear? Just asking as I am not that familiar with padded shorts or bibs and would be fine with finding something that would allow me to ride longer.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 09-04-21, 02:59 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The appropriate saddle, shorts/bibs padding, etc., all depend on your body, bike design and bike fit. There's no one setup that's right for every bike.

I have very narrow sit bones so I usually prefer narrow saddles on my drop bar road bikes, around 130mm, not too heavily padded. But I'm rolling forward so there isn't too much pressure on the sit bones. And over the years I've gravitated toward saddles with relief cutouts.

And I prefer longer saddles for the drop bar road bikes so I can adjust my sitting position to suit the terrain, or just for a change of pressure over longer rides. For a few months I've been riding an older Cobb triathlon saddle that didn't suit me when I first got it, but now feels very comfortable after setting up my fit correctly. For awhile I had the saddle height about an inch too low.

But on my hybrids I use wider saddles because I'm sitting more upright. My longtime favorite hybrid saddle is an old Bell brand saddle with thick gel type padding and Lycra fabric covering, that's around 185mm wide. With that saddle I don't need to wear padded shorts/bibs, so it's great for casual clothing. The padded saddle with fabric covering serves the same purpose as padded shorts/bibs. That saddle is less comfortable if I lean forward too much -- there's too much padding in the nose putting pressure on my perineum and prostate. But it's fine sitting more or less upright.

I do have one older narrow Selle San Marco road bike saddle that's also comfortable sitting more upright on the hybrid, but that's because the saddle has a very flexible plastic shell that conforms kinda like a Selle Anatomica leather saddle, although not quite as much of a "hammock" type fit. But that's unusual for a roadie saddle, and no longer made.

With shorts/bibs, sometimes too much padding can be as bad as too little. I prefer less padding around the perineum, especially with flat saddles (no cutout relief channel). Too much padding puts more pressure on the perineum and prostate.

Pad design, ability to wick perspiration, etc., are all very subjective too. For the past three years I've been satisfied with the excellent Dupont CoolMax pads that come with the inexpensive Przewalski and Spotti brand shorts and bibs (those seem to be the same manufacturer, selling slightly different lineups -- I've seen both brand names inside my bibs and shorts). I like these better than the pads in my Pearl Izumi, Black Bibs and other low to mid priced shorts and bibs.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 09-04-21, 03:30 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by canklecat
The appropriate saddle, shorts/bibs padding, etc., all depend on your body, bike design and bike fit. There's no one setup that's right for every bike.

I have very narrow sit bones so I usually prefer narrow saddles on my drop bar road bikes, around 130mm, not too heavily padded. But I'm rolling forward so there isn't too much pressure on the sit bones. And over the years I've gravitated toward saddles with relief cutouts.

And I prefer longer saddles for the drop bar road bikes so I can adjust my sitting position to suit the terrain, or just for a change of pressure over longer rides. For a few months I've been riding an older Cobb triathlon saddle that didn't suit me when I first got it, but now feels very comfortable after setting up my fit correctly. For awhile I had the saddle height about an inch too low.

But on my hybrids I use wider saddles because I'm sitting more upright. My longtime favorite hybrid saddle is an old Bell brand saddle with thick gel type padding and Lycra fabric covering, that's around 185mm wide. With that saddle I don't need to wear padded shorts/bibs, so it's great for casual clothing. The padded saddle with fabric covering serves the same purpose as padded shorts/bibs. That saddle is less comfortable if I lean forward too much -- there's too much padding in the nose putting pressure on my perineum and prostate. But it's fine sitting more or less upright.

I do have one older narrow Selle San Marco road bike saddle that's also comfortable sitting more upright on the hybrid, but that's because the saddle has a very flexible plastic shell that conforms kinda like a Selle Anatomica leather saddle, although not quite as much of a "hammock" type fit. But that's unusual for a roadie saddle, and no longer made.

With shorts/bibs, sometimes too much padding can be as bad as too little. I prefer less padding around the perineum, especially with flat saddles (no cutout relief channel). Too much padding puts more pressure on the perineum and prostate.

Pad design, ability to wick perspiration, etc., are all very subjective too. For the past three years I've been satisfied with the excellent Dupont CoolMax pads that come with the inexpensive Przewalski and Spotti brand shorts and bibs (those seem to be the same manufacturer, selling slightly different lineups -- I've seen both brand names inside my bibs and shorts). I like these better than the pads in my Pearl Izumi, Black Bibs and other low to mid priced shorts and bibs.
Thank you very much for your reply. The saddle is good for me and the bike I use it with but I was wondering if, with my wide sit bones I might be outside the padded area of my bibs. It is thicker in the center to mid-center area and less so on the wider areas, I am going to look into your bib brands and see what they look like.
Thanks again, Frank.
Old 09-04-21, 05:34 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
You might want to look at Endura bibs. Their high end bibs come in 3 different pad widths. They get good reviews but I haven’t used them personally.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-04-21, 06:07 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by PeteHski
You might want to look at Endura bibs. Their high end bibs come in 3 different pad widths. They get good reviews but I haven’t used them personally.
And there it is. Thank you.
Frank.