Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

How often do you flat?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

How often do you flat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 07:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Cars made the shift to tubeless years ago. Wonder why?

Tubeless on a bike isn't trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Well... Sort of...

Tubeless eliminates pinch flats, drops bike weight, gives you the ability to run lower pressure, better ride quality and unlike a tube if you puncture the tire it will seal right away allowing you to keep riding or at minimum you might have to stop and add a little air. In rare cases the puncture may be large enough that the sealant won't work or the leak will be slow enough allowing you to make it back home or to the car.

There really isn't a downside to tubeless.
Old 08-20-21, 08:15 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I put ~2,000 miles on my mtb since 2017, and I've never once flatted. 2.3" tubeless with Stan's. Once, I did burp out half the air when the tire bead got pushed on while going thru a rock garden at 1 mph. I've had lots of goat heads, sometimes a dozen at once, just pulled them out and let the Stan's do its thing. And come to think of it, on the road bike this may be my first season without a flat (so far), other seasons I've had dozens.
Old 08-20-21, 08:28 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Cars made the shift to tubeless years ago. Wonder why?

Tubeless on a bike isn't trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Well... Sort of...

Tubeless eliminates pinch flats, drops bike weight, gives you the ability to run lower pressure, better ride quality and unlike a tube if you puncture the tire it will seal right away allowing you to keep riding or at minimum you might have to stop and add a little air. In rare cases the puncture may be large enough that the sealant won't work or the leak will be slow enough allowing you to make it back home or to the car.

There really isn't a downside to tubeless.
What ever happened to not commenting on each others posts?

Nothing lamer than a stranger trying to convince someone they don't know they ought to change something "just because". I have no problem not being a follower so I do what works for me. Remaining tubed creates no problems. It's an overbuilt mtb so I don't care that much about the weight. I don't pinch flat and, when you do need to repair a tubeless you need the same stuff as tubed only it's messier so there is no gain.

Quit regurgitating advertising copy like a fanboy. Lot's of people have fallen off the tubeless bandwagon after the honeymoon phase. It's just another option. Tubeless has it's place if you ride terrain with lots of thorns. Not everybody is doing that. Also, nobody has a problem with tubeless...until they do. Then it's quite a problem, as the two gents in my example found out. Right up until that moment they would have said tubeless was "perfect"! If ones frequency of problems is similar running tubed, the correction is a lot less of a hassle. That is my current experience so I'll stick with it.

How about you just do you and stop trying to do others. It's fine to say you like something without the need to put down what someone else likes. In every thread where we clash it's the same story. You feel the need to criticize someones choice because its not yours: Older bikes, 26", rigid, tubes... No one says your preferences are wrong so why not extend the same courtesy.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-20-21 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-20-21, 09:23 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Quit regurgitating advertising copy like a fanboy. .

The only problem with the gents you described is they weren't prepared correctly.
Likes For prj71:
Old 08-20-21, 09:29 AM
Happy Feet

The only problem with the gents you described is they weren't prepared correctly.
Sort of a thing for people who think new technology is going to solve all their problems. Hence, the advice in my first post on the subject.

...What ever system you use don't assume it's bulletproof and figure out ahead of time how you will fix a failure.
Old 08-20-21, 09:57 AM
Happy Feet

Further to comparing vehicles to bicycles (does anyone lubricate with motor oil btw? Do tire shops put sealant in their tubeless auto tires when installing?).

Off road 4x4 vehicles use tubeless which allows low pressures for better traction. They do not suffer puncture flats (partly because of tubeless, partly better tire design) but now suffer burping which results in tires coming off the rim. This did not happen with tubes in the same way.

Take a look at any 4x4 picture or video and you see vehicles with 1-2 spares on board. Why if there is little chance of a flat? It's not because of penetrating punctures - it's because the tires come off the rim and can't be re seated easily in the field. The mtb version of this save is taking a spare tube along to reverted to tubed if necessary.

Some 4x4s try to resolve the issue by having onboard air compressors, others use rims that trap the tires to the rim with an outer plate. Mtbs usually can't do that though. Some mtb tires are easier to re seat with a pump than others. A good test would be to try it at home before imagining you can do this in the field.

Tubeless is just another technology, it's not magic. It solves some problems but creates others.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-20-21 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 12:36 AM
Konacat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rarely but still carry extra
Old 08-23-21, 09:59 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I have been tubeless since 2004. I have had two flats. One was in 2013ish and one in 2017...both sidewall holes/tears in rocky sections that sealant could not fix. I carry an extra tube on long rides, just for that. I also started to use slightly heavier-duty tires instead of pure XC light tires. No flats since then.
Old 08-31-21, 07:20 PM
Adonis72

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I haven't had a single flat since I started riding tubeless about 5 years ago. I don't carry any spare tire equipment anymore on my mtn bike but I do on my tubeless road bike. I just went tubeless on road bike this year and I need to see how well that goes.

Last edited by Adonis72; 08-31-21 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 07:49 AM
prj71

Tubeless is just another technology, it's not magic. It solves some problems but creates others.
Still better than tubes and really creates no problems.

Maybe someday you learn.
Old 09-01-21, 08:24 AM
Happy Feet

Still better than tubes and really creates no problems.

Maybe someday you learn.
Really? To follow trends just because others do it and not think for myself? I hope not.

But... earlier you whined about my commenting on your posts and say don't do it and then 11 days later you post an unnecessary sarcastic reply to one of mine? Choose a lane will ya.

How embarrassing little troll.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-01-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-06-21, 05:07 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Riding sharp limestone, I’ll cut a sidewall twice a year. It’s actually the reason I stopped trying to ride fast at Pueblo reservoir. Too expensive.

Literally everything else I’ve ever ridden? I haven’t had a flat since tubes went away.
Old 09-07-21, 08:58 AM
prj71

Yeah makes sense. Tubeless is the way to go. It's not a trend. It's a new and better way of doing things.
Old 09-08-21, 01:03 AM
Happy Feet

A: Hey guys, how often do you have this problem?
B: Not a problem - I do this.
C: Not a problem - I do that.
B: You should do this - you won't have a problem.
C: I don't have a problem.
B: Still, you should do this.
C: I'm ok. If had a problem I might reconsider.
B: But that is old fashioned.
C: I'm ok with that. It's not a contest.
B: But this is not a fad. This is just better.
C: Better for you I'm ok without it.
B: You are really out of touch. This is better and if you like that you are wrong...
C: Are you off your meds? We are talking about bicycle tires.
Old 09-08-21, 07:55 AM
prj71

E: All of the above.
Old 09-10-21, 12:14 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
Been a while since I flatted last and that was on tubes.
Old 09-12-21, 10:39 AM
xcfang

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A lot with tubes. First 2.5 years tubeless, not at all. Last 3 months of riding grand canyon, Austin and Bentonville -- 3 times. large holes from rocks in rear tires: XR4, mezcal, aggressor (exo). might put some inserts in the back.
Old 09-16-21, 02:44 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
Newbie MTB rider here.... today I was riding with a buddy who has many years of experience and on one of our breaks, he mentioned that he'd never once had a flat....

I'm thinking I've got a pack with a tube, bacon strips, pump, tire levers, etc.... and he's carrying nothing because years of experience has dictated that he never flats out...

So... how often do you flat? Are you always carrying the necessary spares?
Since going to tubless, my flats have been minimal. However, I have destroyed 2 Eliminators from my back wheel in the span on 3 months. I really should carry stuff with me just in case, but I always seem to forget.