Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

looking to get a second bike

Old 09-11-21, 11:13 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Bikes: Raleigh 2015 Revenio 1.0, 2021 Canyon Endurace AL Disc 6.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
looking to get a second bike

I've decided to get the Canyon Grizil. Not going to buy until next year or so. Maybe early 2023 or late 2022. I feel like it will be better in terms of gravel trails and such. I was thinking of getting the Grail 7, but I feel like is my current bike (Canyon Endurace AL 6.0) can be converted to it since it has tire clearance. When it comes to these types of bikes. Does the groupset matter? When it comes to road bikes, groupset does matter but for gravel is it the same? I'm between the SL 8 and SL 7. It will be my first carbon bike too. Is Canyon the only bike brand that is good for rough gravel? I was thinking of getting an MTB but I really dislike the one position. So I hope the grizl is a good second bike for me.
Old 09-11-21, 11:54 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
The groupsets matter in exactly two ways, IMO, and these are very personal. But, asking these questions will help you get pretty close to what you desire.

1) Does it offer the gear range (in terms of gear inches) that you require? Or, can it be easily modified/upgraded to get there?
2) Maintenance, DIY. Are you able to do the maintenance required, or are you willing to buy the tools and learn?

With respect to point 1, there is no bike, or groupset, available today that I cannot utilize, but more than a few that geared too low for my taste, so I have to make sure I can make the necessary adjustments. In the case of a 1x gravel bike I bought in the spring, swapping the rear hub, and mounting a SRAM cassette instead of the Shimano offering that it came spec'd with, and bumping my chainring size got it right where I wanted it. With respect to point 2, I don't care for SRAM hydraulic brakes- use or maintenance, therefore, I don't buy SRAM equipped bikes.

Last edited by Badger6; 09-12-21 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-12-21, 09:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Geo_Zegarra2016
Is Canyon the only bike brand that is good for rough gravel?
Of course it isn't the only brand.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-12-21, 03:53 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Is Canyon the only bike brand that is good for rough gravel?
Eh... No. IMO probably three of the top choices would include the Salsa Cutthroat, Open Wide and maybe the Bombtrack Beyond 1.
Old 09-12-21, 07:05 PM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Eh... No. IMO probably three of the top choices would include the Salsa Cutthroat, Open Wide and maybe the Bombtrack Beyond 1.
Thanks, but after looking at these brands. i will stick with Canyon
Old 09-13-21, 05:21 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
it tends to got with tyre clearance. if like the grizl the approved tyres are 47-622 (700c) or 52-584 (650b) or greated, them it will be orientated towards the rougher side.
gearing seems to be usual 1x11 using 42x11-42 and the rougher side sometime come with 40 or 38 x 11-42.
Rougher is usually hydro brake.

As above, Sram works (that what I have on the gavel) but I prefer shimano and the shimano maintenances is easier (I don't need to work much on my shimano geared bike or my kids shimano bike).
Old 09-13-21, 08:00 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Thanks, but after looking at these brands. i will stick with Canyon
When you ask such a basic question as 'is Canyon the only brand good enough for rough gravel', you are clearly coming into the genre with no experience or knowledge. Everyone starts somewhere, so it isnt an issue, but I mention it because I am confused why you are so confident that Canyon is the right brand and the Grizl is the right bike when you didnt even know other brands have quality offerings.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-13-21, 09:38 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
When it comes to these types of bikes. Does the groupset matter? When it comes to road bikes, groupset does matter but for gravel is it the same?
"Does it matter" is a fairly vague question.

The SL 7 and SL 8 have very similar groupsets. Both have GRX 2x11. The SL8 is full GRX800 and the SL7 uses a mix of GRX600/800. (

Are you asking if these upgrades are worth the extra $500? The GRX800 stuff is a bit lighter, but functionally will work the same as GRX600. It's the equivalent of 105 vs Ultegra.

It also looks like there's a 1x version of the SL7. Are you asking about 1x vs 2x?
Old 09-13-21, 09:41 AM
Geo_Zegarra2016

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
When you ask such a basic question as 'is Canyon the only brand good enough for rough gravel', you are clearly coming into the genre with no experience or knowledge. Everyone starts somewhere, so it isnt an issue, but I mention it because I am confused why you are so confident that Canyon is the right brand and the Grizl is the right bike when you didnt even know other brands have quality offerings.
Because I have a canyon bike already. Every bike is different. The geometry and feel of the bike. You know
Old 09-13-21, 09:44 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I like the added reach of drop bars and regular bars which keep your wrists in a neutral position. It's more comfortable than flat bars. 650b with thick tires would also be good. Ideally a tall stack for better comfort. This would be mostly for sport riding and quick commuting, seems like a cyclocross bike would fit the bill. But they usually don't have enough stack for me.

Something like a kona libre or salsa fargo would fit the bill.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 09-13-21, 12:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Because I have a canyon bike already. Every bike is different. The geometry and feel of the bike. You know
Ummm, the "geometry and feel" of whatever gravel bike you buy is unlikely to be the same as your current bike. You know?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-13-21, 02:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Do what you like, but this isn't an actual answer to my questions.

You are confident the Canyon Grizl is best, yet you werent even aware other brands have bikes that are in the same category.
Your current Canyon will feel different from the Grizl since geometry is different. Canyon doesn't make every bike of theirs feel the same.
Old 09-14-21, 09:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, on the Canyon spectrum - you really need to choose based on your favorite tire size. The Inflite and Grail are pretty road like in the positioning and feel - although the Grail is gonna be more endurance geometry than the Inflite. But both of those max out around 40mm more or less. If you want to run bigger, Grizzle is the answer. If you will never go bigger than 40mm, you don't need it. (you can put a 50mm++ tire in the front of any of those bikes though.
Old 09-15-21, 06:14 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I like the added reach of drop bars and regular bars which keep your wrists in a neutral position. It's more comfortable than flat bars. 650b with thick tires would also be good. Ideally a tall stack for better comfort.
You just described my Kona Rove ST. Eats "rough" gravel for breakfast, and then has singletrack with huge rocks for lunch.