Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bull and Jake Trail-Georgia

Old 09-18-21, 01:42 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Bull and Jake Trail-Georgia

Hello,

I found this route on bikepacking.com, and want to ride it on a gravel bike. My goal would be an average of 10 mph, is that doable? I see 2 significant climbs on the route, and have heard there are 2 knarly rock gardens. For clarification, I plan to just ride it, and not bikepack. Also, would NF-42 to FS-77 to the Jake Mountain trailhead be a good bailout route?

Here's the link:
https://bikepacking.com/routes/bull-jake/

Dave

Last edited by bonsai171; 09-18-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 06:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
Based on pics from the link, I would say a gravel bike with wide tires would work.
But I'm sure there are parts of the route not shown that would make for underbiking if you use a gravel bike.
Thsts a lot of climb!
Old 09-18-21, 07:55 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Based on pics from the link, I would say a gravel bike with wide tires would work.
But I'm sure there are parts of the route not shown that would make for underbiking if you use a gravel bike.
Thsts a lot of climb!
Yeah, it is a very hilly area. I have done almost 6,000 ft climbing in a ride, 7,000 is going to be a stretch. Not sure i will get to riding this in 2021, hunting season is coming up quickly and a good portion is on hunting land. It is also almost 2 hours from home, will be a stretch to drive there. Would pretty much have to leave before it's light, get there and start riding as quickly as possible, and then hope to average 10 mph or so to complete the route before it gets dark. Hence the question about a bailout route. There's not a whole lot of anything out there, mostly forest and mountains. There's also a good chance of running into a bear or boar.

Dave
Old 09-19-21, 10:00 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Wow! When I was in the States at the end of May, I rode a ~75km route in this area. I started from the Jake parking lot (south end of the loop). The route had some single track, some decent gravel roads, some washed out gravel roads, and a few places (all of it on the steepest sections) of big rocks comprising the road surface. I kept an average somewhere just north of 17km/h. If you have decent bike handling skills and your bike is fitted with 38s or bigger, there is no reason it cannot be done on a "gravel" bike. Fore reference, I was on my '21 Diverge with 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires, set up tubeless.
Old 09-19-21, 02:00 PM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by Badger6
Wow! When I was in the States at the end of May, I rode a ~75km route in this area. I started from the Jake parking lot (south end of the loop). The route had some single track, some decent gravel roads, some washed out gravel roads, and a few places (all of it on the steepest sections) of big rocks comprising the road surface. I kept an average somewhere just north of 17km/h. If you have decent bike handling skills and your bike is fitted with 38s or bigger, there is no reason it cannot be done on a "gravel" bike. Fore reference, I was on my '21 Diverge with 38mm Pathfinder Pro tires, set up tubeless.
Thanks for sharing, sounds like I should just try it. 17 km/h sounds about right. I like to climb a lot, so that's a good place for me. Have done some riding in that area, just not that route specifically. Currently running 40 mm Maxxis Rambers on a 2019 Salsa Warbird.

Dave
Old 09-20-21, 12:35 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Thanks for sharing, sounds like I should just try it. 17 km/h sounds about right. I like to climb a lot, so that's a good place for me. Have done some riding in that area, just not that route specifically. Currently running 40 mm Maxxis Rambers on a 2019 Salsa Warbird.

Dave
I don't have any specific experience with that tire, but I even a little wider (as measured) and a little lower (pressure) would have been welcome. There are definitely some rough spots in the "roads" there, but, that tire looks like it'd be fine on everything you could find on those mountains.