Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drafting etiquette

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drafting etiquette

Old 09-16-21, 07:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Good point. But rarely; out on the streets, my speed is in the bottom 20 percentile. For doing that I definitely would turn and take a good, long look.
Where I ride, it's a mix of suburban streets and boulevards with lot of space for bikes, shoulderless two lane roads, two roads with big wide bike lanes, four lane roads with big wide bike lanes that require you to cross to and from a bike lane between two lanes going the same direction going over a freeway overpass, and/or with merging traffic coming off the freeway without a stop sign. And we also have a LOT of cyclists of all speeds and abilities, of whom the majority are slower than I am, so I make a LOT of use of the Varia.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 07:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Where I ride, it's a mix of suburban streets and boulevards with lot of space for bikes, shoulderless two lane roads, two roads with big wide bike lanes, four lane roads with big wide bike lanes that require you to cross to and from a bike lane between two lanes going the same direction going over a freeway overpass, and/or with merging traffic coming off the freeway without a stop sign. And we also have a LOT of cyclists of all speeds and abilities, of whom the majority are slower than I am, so I make a LOT of use of the Varia.
Actually, I have been improving recently through more riding during the pandemic, so perhaps I am only in the bottom 30 percentile now. So the Varia is something I hope to look into one day if "the majority are slower than I am."
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-16-21, 07:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Actually, I have been improving recently through more riding during the pandemic, so perhaps I am only in the bottom 30 percentile now. So the Varia is something I hope to look into one day if "the majority are slower than I am."
My other observation is the slower the rider, the more of the road they take up. A lot of them ride in pairs or larger groups, and if they're slow, they're usually also not experienced at riding two-up in close proximity.

Old 09-16-21, 07:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The Varia is one of those products where non-owners can tell you about 10x more drawbacks than actual owners can. Funny how that works. *shrug*
Old 09-16-21, 07:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
The Varia is one of those products where non-owners can tell you about 10x more drawbacks than actual owners can. Funny how that works. *shrug*
I got one because it seemed like a good idea, but after I got it I realized it was a FANTASTIC idea!!!!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-16-21, 07:49 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9524 Post(s)
Liked 6,266 Times in 3,454 Posts
I’m slow and wouldn’t be on the road without the Varia. I can’t hear the beep thru my 530 Plus, but the visuals are a huge benefit. The 1030 Plus is on my list since it’s louder.
Old 09-16-21, 08:29 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I got one because it seemed like a good idea, but after I got it I realized it was a FANTASTIC idea!!!!

I've been seriously mulling over the idea of getting one. Seems like a great product. If it also had a built-in camera, I'd be all over it!
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-17-21, 11:57 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I’m slow and wouldn’t be on the road without the Varia. I can’t hear the beep thru my 530 Plus, but the visuals are a huge benefit. The 1030 Plus is on my list since it’s louder.
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I've been seriously mulling over the idea of getting one. Seems like a great product. If it also had a built-in camera, I'd be all over it!
Of all my bike purchases in the last year, the Varia is the one that I would immediately replace if it stopped functioning. While I occasionally get annoyed when it is beeping constantly in high traffic areas, the few times I've forgotten it (or neglected to charge it) have reinforced how useful it is to me. Especially when getting ready to change lanes, or approaching a corner where I know a right hook is possible, or any number of other scenarios, I find it invaluable.

Also - yes to headphones, but only one wireless earbud in. It's great for turn by turn directions from my Garmin, especially for gravel events / rides that are unmarked with less support.
Old 09-18-21, 04:29 AM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I have always been told over the years this is a no no. Drafting with people you don't know is risky because you do not know or have seen their riding techniques or skills. Always draft with people you know and have ridden with because you know and can predict what they do in certain instances. If you come up to someone and want to ride with them for a while ask them if you can follow along but follow along at a safe distance of at least 5 - 10 feet.
Old 09-18-21, 10:49 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I draft everybody. I often zone out and follow people home, into their garages. Oops.
Old 09-18-21, 11:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
I only draft beer.

Old 09-18-21, 11:13 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Was cranking along at a decent pace this morning and took a look down and noticed the front wheel of a bike in line with my rear axle….. seemed tucked in quite close. Kept cranking waiting for a hey, ok if I join kind-of thing but nothing. Made my chuckle thinking about this thread. I picked up the pace and they fell back a bit. I peeled off and they kept going straight. I guess no harm no foul.

Last edited by Joearch; 09-18-21 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-20-21, 11:39 AM
MikeTé

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Well, if it's an e-bike...

Then it's simply motor-pacing. That's what they're there for, right?
Old 09-20-21, 11:40 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
This is the answer:
Originally Posted by big john
I wouldn't do that but if you want to sit on some stranger's wheel the polite thing would be to ask, or say Hi, or at least let them know you are there.

This is the reason:
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Pulling for somebody is also taking some responsibility for their safety, and I didn't volunteer for that job. Also, that person on my wheel could risk my safety (if I have to brake suddenly, I'm depending on them to be paying attention), and I don't care to risk that with random strangers.

​​​​​​​
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 09-20-21, 11:41 AM
REV160

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
First pull up next to the person and ask if they mind if you jump on his wheel. If you go for more than a few minutes, offer to take turns with pulls. Never just jump on without letting a person know you are there. It's dangerous for both of you.

The interesting sub-question I have involves the person who passes and then slows and then I have to pass them. I always want to tell them I'm not looking to race, because that's the truth but I don't want to hang behind someone who just sprinted to see whether they could catch me.
Old 09-20-21, 11:50 AM
Inexperienced

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IDK but on the trail the worst is when you are passing someone who decides to make it a race as you pass.
If I am trending faster, I pass; if not, I don't try.

Usually it's a young boy who does the race thing, unaware that someone may be approaching from the opposite direction.
Old 09-20-21, 11:51 AM
Inexperienced

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I don't want to hang behind someone who just sprinted to see whether they could catch me."

Exactly.
Likes For Inexperienced:
Old 09-20-21, 12:07 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me, that being short for "on your wheel" which is too long and could be confused with "on your left." I've never had anyone tell me to go away. Which of course I could do, because I did catch that rider and just wanted a bit of a rest. When I eventually pass, I invite the other rider to come along. Usually they don't. Not everyone has the skills or interest in drafting. If it's someone I know and I'm coming up on them pretty fast, I shout "Accelerate!" before I pass. That's usually on a shallow descent. Most folks will play along.

In pacelines, I like to be the rider with my wheel to the left of the wheel in front of me. So far, I've been able to steer out of a paceline accordions. I've never had a rider brake check me on purpose. That's like brake checking a semi. No good will come of it.
Old 09-20-21, 01:30 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bshell
When you are riding and some stranger passes you, is it ok to catch up and draft behind them? Is this considered bad manners? Or is there some proper way to do this that is polite? I do this from time to time without problem but the other day I did it and the guy in front slammed on his brakes so of course I slammed into him and both of us were very annoyed with the other. He did it on purpose because he thought I was a creep for drafting behind him. I had no idea this was not allowed. So what is the right way to draft behind a stranger when out and about?
ask.
Old 09-20-21, 02:42 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
I would never just jump on the wheel of someone that I don't know and then draft off of them. I would however, pace off of someone. By that I mean I would hang back a good 10-20 metres and just keep my pace the same as theirs.
I have had people jump on my wheel before. I don't necessarily like/dislike it but I also feel no responsibility to/for them. They made choice and are therefore responsible for their actions.
Old 09-20-21, 02:48 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I always simply say, "Wheel" loudly enough that the rider can hear me, that being short for "on your wheel" which is too long and could be confused with "on your left."
If you came up behind me and yelled "wheel" I would have no idea what in the F you are saying let alone mean. If you yelled "Accelerate" I'd have no clue either. So far I have never experienced this.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 09-20-21, 03:11 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
If you want to draft me, fine. Just don't half wheel, please pay attention, and listen closely as I cough, sneeze, clear my nose, and then loudly announce "Sorry, still waiting for the results of my Covid test!"

On a more serious note, some of the local club rides are asking those who aren't vaccinated to ride at the rear of the group. Thank goodness for Zwift. This is getting crazy.
Old 09-20-21, 03:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
If you came up behind me and yelled "wheel" I would have no idea what in the F you are saying let alone mean. If you yelled "Accelerate" I'd have no clue either. So far I have never experienced this.
Cool! It's not every day one learns two new things. I stole the Accelerate from LA. That's what he yelled when he caught Pantani on Ventoux. Pantani knew what he meant. "Wheel" is fairly common.
Old 09-20-21, 04:16 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
DItto... what does that mean ? I mean, it means nothing to me. If someone rides my wheel, then they need to stay alert and ride appropriately. I'm gonna keep doin my ride, as I want and have decided... I may sit up and decide to eat a banana - which I always bring along and eat at some point during the ride - still moving. Or a powerbar,.. or anything else.
Most of the riders I might ride with are accustomed to using hand signals when ride level is higher. If it's easy, we're often pairing up and chatting, and paying attention to give room for oncoming and overtaking traffic (where it's appropriate).
There are hand signals for most considerations.
The whole voice/shout thing is often quite disconcerting. Just because someone yells 'Clear' , doesn't mean I'm gonna go on that. - for crossings, I prefer to make my own decisions.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 09-20-21, 04:35 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I haven't read this whole threat and I suppose it's already been mentioned, but don't just pull up and start drafting some random woman who's out on a solo ride.
That's especially creepy.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.